Best free graphics editor?

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

Best free graphics editor?

Post by Troken »

Hi there,

I'm currently searching the WWW for the best free graphic editor, and I've found some very interesting programs indeed. But its hard to decide which is the best, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts about them or interesting tips about good programs. Maybe even trouble you've encounterd or other ideas. My personal goal is to move more from Photoshop towards a freeware-solution (though Photoshop is still best for advanced editing, and probably will be for quite some time).

So far, my favourites are Artweaver and Paint.net, both have layers, nice tools and many good basic layer-adjustments (curves, levels etc.) Both have a nice interface and a fairly professional feel.

Haven't found any free software with ICC-support or CMYK-colourspace.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Much less expensive than Photoshop and with a MUCH better user interface too: Corel PaintShopPro X.

I know it has been the traditional "budget" alternative to Photoshop, but it really is a wonderful tool and with:

floating/docking panels
document tabs
integrated thumbs browser
totally customizable floating/docking toolbars
scripting

...it workflows great, best of any graphics tool I have encountered!
Supports PS plug-ins, too.

The full-featured adjustment dialogs with their resizeable, zoomable, scrollable previews are worth the price all by themselves.

In my opinion PSP X is sufficently robust and stable to use for years. No upgrades needed.

Not free, but almost, considering.
John
Troken

Post by Troken »

JohnFredC wrote:Not free, but almost, considering.
But still, well you said it, it ain't free :) Maybe I'll give it a shot though, if there is a demo.

Anyway, I just found out that the next version of GIMP (2.3 I think) will have full colour-management :shock: which is extremly cool, considering the price. But on the downside, I hate GIMPs interface. All those loose windows and palettes everywhere! Sigh.
Stitscher

Post by Stitscher »

I use GIMP on my PC and DigiFoto on my USB-Stick. No installation required.
Clo
XnThusiast

Can't download

Post by Clo »

—> Stitscher

:) Hello !

• I can't download DigiFoto, the transfer stops always around 589,000 … bytes :(

- I'll try fromTC…
EDIT : I could get the archive from TC, but it doesn't work, I have error messages… The size of the archive is 2,066,690 bytes.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Stitscher

Post by Stitscher »

@Clo
I have got the same error with 2.3.3..
I reported the bug to the author already. He will fix it.

Digifoto 2.3.2 works fine, here.
You can get 2.3.2 here

Regards,
Stitscher
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

2Troken

Yes a 30-day PSP demo is available at the Corel website. Huge download, though.

It's now called PSP Photo XI.

Unfortunately, if you need LAB color, it doesn't support it.

I'm probably going to shell out for Adobe LightRoom when the free beta period ends. It has a highlight recovery tool that rocks and a beautiful user interface that is acceptably functional. A little counter-intuitive at first, but it grew on me.
John
Clo
XnThusiast

Nice… in German…

Post by Clo »

—> Stitscher

:) Thanks, it works OK. It looks nice !

• Unfortunately, my German is rather limited :(

- Since you can contact the Author, please could you suggest him to plan some old good LNG¦MNU text files ? ;)

- The EXE is UPX-packed, when unpacked it's 12.9 MiB (!), that hangs the editors…
- Moreover, as usual the internal font (in the EXE) is still the awful MS Sans Serif everywhere :twisted:

- I'll wait for the bilingual version (when the download shall be fixed up…) to test really.
- But indeed, I would prefer a translatable programme, I could translate into French if this is improved…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Stitscher

Re: Nice… in German…

Post by Stitscher »

Clo wrote: • Unfortunately, my German is rather limited :(
You can change the language to english. ;)
Datei---Einstellungen----Sprache---Englisch
- Since you can contact the Author, please could you suggest him to plan some old good LNG¦MNU text files ? ;)

- The EXE is UPX-packed, when unpacked it's 12.9 MiB (!), that hangs the editors…
- Moreover, as usual the internal font (in the EXE) is still the awful MS Sans Serif everywhere :twisted:

- I'll wait for the bilingual version (when the download shall be fixed up…) to test really.
- But indeed, I would prefer a translatable programme, I could translate into French if this is improved…
Thanks for your suggestions. I will contact the autor. :)

Stitscher
Troken

Post by Troken »

Stitscher wrote:I use ... DigiFoto on my USB-Stick. ...
Thats pretty neat, has lots to offer. A somewhat old interface maybe. I'll try it out some more.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Hey Troken, PaintStar is another one to try out.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!

Post by Guest »

Troken wrote:
But still, well you said it, it ain't free :) Maybe I'll give it a shot though, if there is a demo.

Anyway, I just found out that the next version of GIMP (2.3 I think) will have full colour-management :shock: which is extremly cool, considering the price. But on the downside, I hate GIMPs interface. All those loose windows and palettes everywhere! Sigh.
try this :wink:
http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294
Troken

Post by Troken »

Anonymous wrote:
Troken wrote:
try this :wink:
http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294
Yes, GIMPshop is a nice effort to make GIMP usable, and it's ok, but it's still GIMP. :) I guess that one day I'll have to learn it anyway, it has so many goodies to offer!