A3: favourites: rename impossible + no sub-fodlers

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

GeorgD

A3: favourites: rename impossible + no sub-fodlers

Post by GeorgD »

Hej, with 1.9alpha 2 (download told me it's 3) I can create favorites but 1) cannot rename them (they offer me to enter new text but don't save it) and 2) they do not expand when clicked, thus subfolders of my favourite "family pics" cannot be accessed unless I activate displaying dirs in browser thumbnail pane -- what forces me to scroll some way to see the first image :-|
/Georg
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: favourites: rename impossible + no sub-fodlers

Post by xnview »

GeorgD wrote:Hej, with 1.9alpha 2 (download told me it's 3) I can create favorites but 1) cannot rename them (they offer me to enter new text but don't save it)
Right
and 2) they do not expand when clicked, thus subfolders of my favourite "family pics" cannot be accessed unless I activate displaying dirs in browser thumbnail pane -- what forces me to scroll some way to see the first image :-|
But it's normal, it's only a favorite, if you want to see subfolder, you must go to folder tree...
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: favourites: rename impossible + no sub-fodlers

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:
and 2) they do not expand when clicked, thus subfolders of my favourite "family pics" cannot be accessed unless I activate displaying dirs in browser thumbnail pane -- what forces me to scroll some way to see the first image :-|
But it's normal, it's only a favorite, if you want to see subfolder, you must go to folder tree...
It's the 2nd message asking for this... and I think it makes a lot of sense too, plus I see no drawback from a user point of view (ie: always enabled).
Olivier
Clo
XnThusiast

OK here

Post by Clo »

— Georg

:) Hello !
…with 1.9alpha 2 (download told me it's 3) I can create favorites but 1) cannot rename them (they offer me to enter new text but don't save it)…
• This works perfectly here, the new name is saved alright !
- You might try to set all setting-files in the XnView folder, then the <bookmark.ini> is correctly updated and used…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

....yeah :) xnview could you please add this extra functionality would be a really great additition to the program, and i'm sure more people would find it more useful aswel.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

@Pierre
>But it's normal, it's only a favorite, if you want to see subfolder, you must go to folder tree...

So the intended workflow is like this? Switch to favourites, click the one you want, switch to folders to see the subfolders. I just wanna know as I expected it to be a favourite folder including folder behaviour (=collapse/contract subfolders) and it has the lines (left of icons) that the tree view usually has.

@Clo & @Pierre
>This works perfectly here, the new name is saved alright !

I just discovered: The name is saved, but only displayed after closing the browse view and opening it again. A refresh problem?

@Clo
>You might try to set all setting-files in the XnView folder, then the <bookmark> is correctly updated and used…

Sorry, I don't understand that - could you please put it to other words? Thanks :)
Clo
XnThusiast

Not a menu !

Post by Clo »

:) Hi Georg !

• The "Favourite (folders)" is not a real menu, its content is saved in an INI file - <bookmark.ini> - and shown as menu-like.
{Aside : It's thus impossible to set hotkeys there, they don't work… :( }

• So, like you suppose, a refresh delay can occur for that file according to its location…
…and whatever else, maybe Pierre is the only able to say.

- Now, we can set all configuration files in the own dir of XnView : Options >> System Integration.
- IMHO, this shortens the (endless) paths we had before, and perhaps speeds up the changes…

Claude
Clo
GeorgD

Re: Not a menu !

Post by GeorgD »

Clo wrote:The "Favourite (folders)" is not a real menu, its content is saved in an INI file - <bookmark> - and shown as menu-like.
{Aside : It's thus impossible to set hotkeys there, they don't work… :( }
I don't see the storage form as a reason not to read the subfolders (XnView reads the contained files, so why not the dirs also?) or not to assign hotkeys (store them in the bookmark.ini as 3rd field)?! Maybe I'm blind or too naive, but I really don't see any hard constraint... :?
Clo
XnThusiast

Explain to…

Post by Clo »

—> Georg

:) Hello !
…or not to assign hotkeys (store them in the bookmark.ini as 3rd field)?!
- I requested hot-keys in the "Favourite…" pseudo-menu years ago, and got *peanuts* :P
- I even proposed to change this list into a real menu, *peanuts* again…

- Please, explain to Pierre which syntax you would use, maybe he could use it ? ;)

Claude
Clo
GeorgD

Re: Explain to…

Post by GeorgD »

Clo wrote:Please, explain to Pierre which syntax you would use, maybe he could use it ? ;)
currently bookmark.ini is structured like
"name"*"V:\location"
and it could be
"name"*"V:\location"*"hotkey-combi"*"true/false: show subfolders"
so the file format is not restricting (BTW, it is no INI standard format anyway, but that doesn't matter).

Sidenote @ Clo's post of Oct 13 2:17pm: My bookmark.ini is in the XnView folder (not "...\application data\xnview")and does not get updated, just as described above.

And I still do not know how the intended workflow looks like ;)
/Georg
GeorgD

Re: A3: favourites: rename impossible + no sub-fodlers

Post by GeorgD »

GeorgD wrote:Hej, with 1.9alpha 2 (download told me it's 3) I can create favorites but 1) cannot rename them (they offer me to enter new text but don't save it) and 2) they do not expand when clicked, thus subfolders of my favourite "family pics" cannot be accessed unless I activate displaying dirs in browser thumbnail pane -- what forces me to scroll some way to see the first image :-|
Both is working in 1.90b2 as expected. Move to "closed", please :)