'Esc' should exit XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

VuDu

Post by VuDu »

nice work!!!

things i'm still waiting:
- Esc key in fullscreen exits the program.
- option to use only mouse buttons or only mouse wheel to navigate in fullscreen.
- xnview opening pics from explorer (with double click).

looking forward to those things!!
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
Umfray

Post by Umfray »

|VooDoo| wrote:nice work!!!

things i'm still waiting:
- Esc key in fullscreen exits the program.
Hi VooDoo,

I like the present function of Esc key, at each press XnView backs, at the fourth, it exits, isn't useful ? :wink:
Umfray
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

but to those that use xnview to open pics from the explorer then close it back, get back to what they're doing, it'd be much easier if there were an "one Esc click exits xnview" option :)
:wink:
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
joximus

Post by joximus »

Guess we all have different preferences. So I must say that I agree with Umfray. If you want instant exit from XnView you can press ALT+F4. It is just two keys :wink: .

Post by Guest »

But that's what the Escape key is for. :!:

Hit it once and you're out.

The Escape key should never be used for multiple presses of anything.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think your both right in some way:

1 - Pressing 'Esc' should close the window opened last.

2 - Pressing 'Esc' multiple times, closes the windows in the order they have been opened.

3 - Special case: Pressing 'Esc' on the last opened window, the application is closed.

Think the above statements/rules give a consistent behaviour. Rule 3 is worth while discussing, perhaps an option would be good that prevents/allows exiting the application when pressing 'Esc' on the last window opened.

Now it becomes clear why both joximus and |Voodoo| are right:

* joximus starts XnView in fullscreen by double clicking on an image. So in this case, when pressing 'Esc' XnView should exit (Rule 3).

* |VooDoo| opens XnView, browses a bit, opens an image and sometimes watches an image in fullscreen. When pressing 'Esc' here, XnView must not exit, since there are other windows opened (Rule 3 does not apply).

What do you think?
ijustdiscoveredthiswonder

Post by ijustdiscoveredthiswonder »

the best would be an option that use the ESC key just like ACDSee:
if xnview fullscreen is opened from a "shell open" command (eg double clicking from Explorer), then ESC = exit xnview;
if xnview fullscreen is activated from the xnview browser, then ESC = close the view window and return to the xnview browser.

Note: the current behavior that pressing ESC in fullscreen mode, switches fullscreen mode off instead of returning to the xnview browser is also uncomfortable to me.

PS compliments for this awesome application!
helmut

Post by helmut »

ijustdiscoveredthiswonder wrote:the best would be an option that use the ESC key just like ACDSee:
if xnview fullscreen is opened from a "shell open" command (eg double clicking from Explorer), then ESC = exit xnview;
if xnview fullscreen is activated from the xnview browser, then ESC = close the view window and return to the xnview browser.

Note: the current behavior that pressing ESC in fullscreen mode, switches fullscreen mode off instead of returning to the xnview browser is also uncomfortable to me.
From what I can see the 'ACDSee Esc behaviour' exactly follows/matches the rules suggested in my previous post.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
ijustdiscoveredthiswonder wrote:the best would be an option that use the ESC key just like ACDSee:

From what I can see the 'ACDSee Esc behaviour' exactly follows/matches the rules suggested in my previous post.
I agree ;-)
Pierre.
B.Douille

Escape key

Post by B.Douille »

I just wonder if something changed?
Esc always exits XnView :(
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

You must be using 1.9b. Look in the options under Keyboard/Mouse: You should see a box called "Singe Esc to exit"; this controls that behavior. It's supposed to only work for the first image opened (so that you can integrate xnview into explorer, and easily exit), but it doesn't quite work that way right now.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I agree that the reaction of using ESC key isn't obvious.
The impact of the option "Single ESC to exit (on start only)" isn't more:
Tick box checked (default) >> Esc key always exists XnView on 1st, 2nd or 3rd stroke depending on which level you start :shock:
Unchecked >> close the browser view, letting the XnView either empty or with the last image opened :?
If unchecked and XnView is launched with a file name as a parameter then the 1st Esc key close the picture view, letting the XnView either empty :? you need a 2nd stroke on ESC to exist XnView
Last edited by B.Douille on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

From what I can see this is a bug in 1.90. Is this still an issue in 1.90 RC2? If yes, please let us know and moderators will move this topic to the 1.90 testing section.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Anonymous wrote:But that's what the Escape key is for. :!:

Hit it once and you're out.

The Escape key should never be used for multiple presses of anything.
Actually, that's what Alt+F4 is for IMO.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

helmut wrote:From what I can see this is a bug in 1.90. Is this still an issue in 1.90 RC2? If yes, please let us know and moderators will move this topic to the 1.90 testing section.
Yes, confirmed with RC2