B4: Crash when opening print dialog

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Closer to a path to reproduce:
The good news is it's linked to the printer.
On my desktop at home (XP-SP2/Epson RX500 whatever on or off) I can reproduce 99% (see bellow). If I change the default printer to Windows FAX, I can't. Just switching from one printer to the other, open Xnview select a picture, print button and crash /or see the dialog.
On my personal laptop (XP-SP2, HP 710 not connected) I can't trigger the crash.

Apparently it has nothing to do with repository (I agree with Helmut's remark: Desktop isn't virtual). I tried in All users...\documents\temp. also in C:\Support. No noticable influence.

Nothing to do with either the size of image, the Qty of image, the mixup with video clips, image having metadata or not. Same reaction. Now I use the folder with the 4 samples provided with XP.

How to:
- Set the "bad printer" as default,
- start Xnview and select a folder (samples),
- close Xnview, restart it after a few seconds,
- select pictures and print button,

To see the print dialog after a crash:
After restarting Xnview select another folder, select on or more picture and click the slideshow button. Close the slide dialog, select pictures again and print button. Sometime, just changing the folder you can print.

Additional remark: On my desktop, if I start XnView from a new unzipped, the current view is always the XnView' folder from where it started (Xnview 1.84 is installed on that and use the .ini file). On my laptop, a new package shows the last folder browsed during my last trial (Xnview 1.84 never been installed on this PC). From where does it retrieve the path !?

Hope this helps, regards,
Daniel
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:Closer to a path to reproduce:
On my desktop at home (XP-SP2/Epson RX500 whatever on or off) I can reproduce 99% (see bellow). If I change the default printer to Windows FAX, I can't. Just switching from one printer to the other, open Xnview select a picture, print button and crash /or see the dialog.
And do you have problem with 1.82.4?
Additional remark: On my desktop, if I start XnView from a new unzipped, the current view is always the XnView' folder from where it started (Xnview 1.84 is installed on that and use the .ini file). On my laptop, a new package shows the last folder browsed during my last trial (Xnview 1.84 never been installed on this PC). From where does it retrieve the path !?
Could you try to search xnview.ini on your disk?
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

xnview wrote:
B.Douille wrote:Closer to a path to reproduce:
And do you have problem with 1.82.4?
Never seen with this version.
There is a big difference when I uses these PCs, which is the user level: On the desktop I always work as a standard user whereas on the laptop I uses administrator account. I tried to use admin account on the desktop too and I was unable to trigger the crash so the problem is probably linked to access rights.
xnview wrote:
B.Douille wrote: Additional remark: On my desktop, if I start XnView from a new unzipped, the current view is always the XnView' folder from where it started (Xnview 1.84 is installed on that and use the .ini file). On my laptop, a new package shows the last folder browsed during my last trial (Xnview 1.84 never been installed on this PC). From where does it retrieve the path !?
Could you try to search xnview.ini on your disk?
I've got 10th due to alpha and beta packages still on my desktop :? But it's linked to user level. With a standard account Xnview do not start in the previous folder.
I think we should forget this remark for the time being and concentrate on the crash itself.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:There is a big difference when I uses these PCs, which is the user level: On the desktop I always work as a standard user whereas on the laptop I uses administrator account. I tried to use admin account on the desktop too and I was unable to trigger the crash so the problem is probably linked to access rights.
All shared printers are available for users?
Send me a email, i'll send you a debug version...
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Can be closed.
Fixed in RC2. Great :D
helmut

Post by helmut »

B.Douille wrote:Can be closed.
Fixed in RC2. Great :D
Good. But lets wait with closing this bug report till 1.90 RC2 is available.

-> Moved to "Fixed in RC2"
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

I still get crash when attempting to print with no printer attached.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:I still get crash when attempting to print with no printer attached.
Right!
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I can't reproduce anymore since RC2 while I can at anytime if I uses B6.
Maybe printing with no printer is a different problem?
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

B.Douille wrote: Maybe printing with no printer is a different problem?
That is fixed in the latest installer version...