screen lag...

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

dan

screen lag...

Post by dan »

forgot to sign in...

lately there has been a bad lag in opening and running xnview. (it will take several seconds to open a folder) i have also tried clearing the cache. im currently using version 1.80. this also happens when i use v 1.60. all other memory intensive programs i run on this computer are ok (photoshop etc...). i even formatted the hard drive the other day. (i usually do yearly to clear the junk). i tried removing the xnview "ini" file temporarly but it still runs very slow. any suggestions?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: screen lag...

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:forgot to sign in...

lately there has been a bad lag in opening and running xnview. (it will take several seconds to open a folder) i have also tried clearing the cache. im currently using version 1.80. this also happens when i use v 1.60. all other memory intensive programs i run on this computer are ok (photoshop etc...). i even formatted the hard drive the other day. (i usually do yearly to clear the junk). i tried removing the xnview "ini" file temporarly but it still runs very slow. any suggestions?
Do you have tried the last version 1.82??
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

yes i have tried version 1.82 and it still takes a few seconds to open and display pics. even the clip art images take a few seconds to open. i have tried several settings of the cache, used "win.ini" "registry" to save settings, but it also does not help. this also happens when i revert back to version 1.60. i would try the first version i ever used 1.09? but i dont have it backed up anywhere...
Troken

Post by Troken »

I've also experienced this sometimes, mostly due to mediafiles (like movieclips) or huge images. It looks like the program freezes for some seconds (or more), but it returns to normal after a while. Especially when browsing new folders where XnView has to build all thumbnails from scratch.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:yes i have tried version 1.82 and it still takes a few seconds to open and display pics. even the clip art images take a few seconds to open. i have tried several settings of the cache, used "win.ini" "registry" to save settings, but it also does not help. this also happens when i revert back to version 1.60. i would try the first version i ever used 1.09? but i dont have it backed up anywhere...
Could you try to disable 'Option/View/File lsit /Read ahead'?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

read ahead was checked. i unchecked it, closed the viewer, reopened xnview but still slow. the viewer is even slow when opening up options and moving through them. i have "high quality thumbnails off also. this problem also exist in the older version i had "1.60" which never gave me troubles before. may be a windows setting somewhere?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:read ahead was checked. i unchecked it, closed the viewer, reopened xnview but still slow. the viewer is even slow when opening up options and moving through them. i have "high quality thumbnails off also. this problem also exist in the older version i had "1.60" which never gave me troubles before. may be a windows setting somewhere?
And what do you have in borwser menu View/Arrange by?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

i checked the "use registry to save options" in the install menu screen, rebooted and lag is now gone. i dont know why saving to registry would be so much faster than saving the "ini" file in xnview or windows folder... thank you for your replies. dan
dan

Post by dan »

this slow loading of the program itself and my images is happening again. have not changed anything including where the ini is saved (still using registry). it was working for a couple of days, now back to some serious lag time. takes around 12 -15 seconds just to laod my default directory. this must be a windows issue and not xnview. any suggestions?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:this slow loading of the program itself and my images is happening again. have not changed anything including where the ini is saved (still using registry). it was working for a couple of days, now back to some serious lag time. takes around 12 -15 seconds just to laod my default directory. this must be a windows issue and not xnview. any suggestions?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

xnview wrote:
dan wrote:this slow loading of the program itself and my images is happening again. have not changed anything including where the ini is saved (still using registry). it was working for a couple of days, now back to some serious lag time. takes around 12 -15 seconds just to laod my default directory. this must be a windows issue and not xnview. any suggestions?
here is a screen shot. all i could find was "sort by" is this what you mean Pierre?

helmut

Post by helmut »

I have one folder with about 20 files (JPG, PCX, PDF, ...) in it. When browsing this folder with XnView for the first time, it takes quite a while till the contents are displayed. During that time, XnView sort of stalls and there is a lot of hard disk activity.
At first I thought that XnView was the problem, but when just browsing this folder with MS Explorer, the same thing happened: Lot of hard disk activity and quite a while till all contents are displayed.

So: Could you please restart your computer and browse the folder which opens slowly in XnView? What kind of files does the folder contain? Are the contents displayed in MS Explorer immediately?

Have you installed GhostScript on your computer? GhostScript allows for viewing vector files (PDF, AI, EPS, PS, ...). I suspect GhostScript to slow down the system in some cases.

BTW: I currently work on Windows XP SP2.
dan

Post by dan »

helmut wrote:I have one folder with about 20 files (JPG, PCX, PDF, ...) in it. When browsing this folder with XnView for the first time, it takes quite a while till the contents are displayed. During that time, XnView sort of stalls and there is a lot of hard disk activity.
At first I thought that XnView was the problem, but when just browsing this folder with MS Explorer, the same thing happened: Lot of hard disk activity and quite a while till all contents are displayed.

So: Could you please restart your computer and browse the folder which opens slowly in XnView? What kind of files does the folder contain? Are the contents displayed in MS Explorer immediately?

Have you installed GhostScript on your computer? GhostScript allows for viewing vector files (PDF, AI, EPS, PS, ...). I suspect GhostScript to slow down the system in some cases.

BTW: I currently work on Windows XP SP2.
also using xp with sp2. it takes around 20 seconds just to load xnview. i have it set to open in my clip art directory. with only one photo displaying as shown in the pic from my last post. all folders take a few seconds to open even if there are only 10 - 20 images in the folder. many are clip art so the image sizes are small. folders with images that have been cached do open quicker. just scrolling in the tree view has much lag. which is the best option to save the "ini" file to? registry, windows.ini or in xnview's folder?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:also using xp with sp2. it takes around 20 seconds just to load xnview. i have it set to open in my clip art directory. with only one photo displaying as shown in the pic from my last post. all folders take a few seconds to open even if there are only 10 - 20 images in the folder. many are clip art so the image sizes are small. folders with images that have been cached do open quicker. just scrolling in the tree view has much lag. which is the best option to save the "ini" file to? registry, windows.ini or in xnview's folder?
You have this delay only when you click on a associated picture? If you start xnview, do you have this delay?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

xnview wrote:
dan wrote:also using xp with sp2. it takes around 20 seconds just to load xnview. i have it set to open in my clip art directory. with only one photo displaying as shown in the pic from my last post. all folders take a few seconds to open even if there are only 10 - 20 images in the folder. many are clip art so the image sizes are small. folders with images that have been cached do open quicker. just scrolling in the tree view has much lag. which is the best option to save the "ini" file to? registry, windows.ini or in xnview's folder?
You have this delay only when you click on a associated picture? If you start xnview, do you have this delay?
yes both. it takes around 20 seconds just to open xnview 1.80 before i can even scroll in any view. the program used to open in 3 or 4 seconds. and when i click on a image it takes much longer.