screen lag...

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:
xnview wrote:
dan wrote:also using xp with sp2. it takes around 20 seconds just to load xnview. i have it set to open in my clip art directory. with only one photo displaying as shown in the pic from my last post. all folders take a few seconds to open even if there are only 10 - 20 images in the folder. many are clip art so the image sizes are small. folders with images that have been cached do open quicker. just scrolling in the tree view has much lag. which is the best option to save the "ini" file to? registry, windows.ini or in xnview's folder?
You have this delay only when you click on a associated picture? If you start xnview, do you have this delay?
yes both. it takes around 20 seconds just to open xnview 1.80 before i can even scroll in any view. the program used to open in 3 or 4 seconds. and when i click on a image it takes much longer.
20 sec to open xnview in browser mode too??
Pierre.
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

Do you have any network drives attached? That's something that always slows down everything, it seems, even if it's just enumerating it and not opening into it.
dan

Post by dan »

.[/quote]
20 sec to open xnview in browser mode too??[/quote]

yes. if i close xnview, then open in browser view it takes as long as 25 seconds to be able to scroll any of the view screens. i make sure there are no images that open in the directory when it first opens up. its also slow to open up the any of the menus at first. after the viewer is open fo at least 40-50 seconds everything opens quickly. i have never experienced this behaviour b4 in any version of xnviw. since at least version 1.19
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:.
20 sec to open xnview in browser mode too??
yes. if i close xnview, then open in browser view it takes as long as 25 seconds to be able to scroll any of the view screens. i make sure there are no images that open in the directory when it first opens up. its also slow to open up the any of the menus at first. after the viewer is open fo at least 40-50 seconds everything opens quickly. i have never experienced this behaviour b4 in any version of xnviw. since at least version 1.19
Could you uncheck option/Browser/Start browser at startup, and tell me now if you have always the delay with 1.82.4?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

[/quote]
Could you uncheck option/Browser/Start browser at startup, and tell me now if you have always the delay with 1.82.4?[/quote]

i unchecked it and it loads ok. however when i then click on the browser tab to open any of my directories, it still takes forever to load.
i have even tried to install xnview on my other hard drive, but it still displays this lagging behaviour.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:
Could you uncheck option/Browser/Start browser at startup, and tell me now if you have always the delay with 1.82.4?
i unchecked it and it loads ok. however when i then click on the browser tab to open any of my directories, it still takes forever to load.
i have even tried to install xnview on my other hard drive, but it still displays this lagging behaviour.
Very strange, and with thumb cache off??
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

[/quote]
Very strange, and with thumb cache off??[/quote]

with the cache turned off there is still lots of lag switching between different menus, the browser etc... it took almost 60 seconds to show the cache screen after clicking on options. i have to belive this is my computer slowing down xnview somewhere. all of my other high end graphic software programs have no problem . i have 1 GB installed memory. i have tried turning on and off every option i could see, including installing earlier version on a different drive. it just operates very slowly. (it used to open and operate very quickly) this is why i cant understand where the problem is. this is frustrating trying to figure out as xnview is the single most used program i have, and is accessed daily. back to the drawing board...
i even went as far as to format the drive it was installed to.....
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

foxyshadis wrote:Do you have any network drives attached? That's something that always slows down everything, it seems, even if it's just enumerating it and not opening into it.
???

And not just network drives, but also other slow devices, like cell phones or USB drives, or a malfunctioning card reader.

Network drives are the fastest way to make your Core2Duo perform like a 486 with the turbo off, though.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:
Very strange, and with thumb cache off??

with the cache turned off there is still lots of lag switching between different menus, the browser etc... it took almost 60 seconds to show the cache screen after clicking on options. i have to belive this is my computer slowing down xnview somewhere. all of my other high end graphic software programs have no problem . i have 1 GB installed memory. i have tried turning on and off every option i could see, including installing earlier version on a different drive. it just operates very slowly. (it used to open and operate very quickly) this is why i cant understand where the problem is. this is frustrating trying to figure out as xnview is the single most used program i have, and is accessed daily. back to the drawing board...
i even went as far as to format the drive it was installed to.....
Do you have tried the 1.82.4? And perhaps the 1.90 RC1?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

xnview wrote: Do you have tried the 1.82.4? And perhaps the 1.90 RC1?
i just tried version 1.90 beta, installed it in a different folder, rebooted and ran the application. still lags like previous versions. i cant imagine what on my computer is causing this. i defragged the drive before i installed vesion 1.90...

edit: after more testing and using v1.90 beta versus v1.82 (with the same "ini") the 1.90 is even slower.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:
i just tried version 1.90 beta, installed it in a different folder, rebooted and ran the application. still lags like previous versions. i cant imagine what on my computer is causing this. i defragged the drive before i installed vesion 1.90...

edit: after more testing and using v1.90 beta versus v1.82 (with the same "ini") the 1.90 is even slower.
Very strange, so if you start xnview with picture & browser, no problem. When you start browser, you have the delay. When you load a picture or use menu, you have the delay. Right?
Pierre.
dan

Post by dan »

xnview wrote:
dan wrote:

Very strange, so if you start xnview with picture & browser, no problem. When you start browser, you have the delay. When you load a picture or use menu, you have the delay. Right?
correct. when i click on any image on my hard drive it takes just 2 or 3 seconds to load into xnview. i can then forward or reverse through a folder of images without delay or to much lag. when i click on the browser tab after loading a image it takes up to 30 seconds to just show the tree view before i can start scrolling...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dan wrote:correct. when i click on any image on my hard drive it takes just 2 or 3 seconds to load into xnview. i can then forward or reverse through a folder of images without delay or to much lag. when i click on the browser tab after loading a image it takes up to 30 seconds to just show the tree view before i can start scrolling...
Strange, and no problem with 1.6? Which system do you have?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
dan wrote:correct. when i click on any image on my hard drive it takes just 2 or 3 seconds to load into xnview. i can then forward or reverse through a folder of images without delay or to much lag. when i click on the browser tab after loading a image it takes up to 30 seconds to just show the tree view before i can start scrolling...
Strange, and no problem with 1.6? Which system do you have?

all versions have this lag.
i have a compaq presario, amd 2900 processor, 1 Gb memory, windows xp home edition. 128 MB nvidia graphics card.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:all versions have this lag.
i have a compaq presario, amd 2900 processor, 1 Gb memory, windows xp home edition. 128 MB nvidia graphics card.
All versions??? You are the first user with such problem :-(
Perhaps could you try very old version (http://www.xnview-download.de/download/old_versions/)
Pierre.