Thumbnail label - add DPI?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

Thumbnail label - add DPI?

Post by Troken »

Is it possible to add DPI as a thumbnail label?
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I see little - if any - use to the embedded dpi information... except confusing users.

I would be interested to know why you need this information for?
Olivier
Troken

Post by Troken »

Olivier_G wrote:I see little - if any - use to the embedded dpi information... except confusing users.

I would be interested to know why you need this information for?
Hi Olivier_G. I use DPI daily, both at work and private. It's useful when dealing with images for print (books, broschures, magazines) where 72 dpi is far to low. In my work it's essential to know this information. Not that I can't find it anyway, but it would be sweet to make a customized labelrow where I could put it.

An example: I don't really care about the file-size when determining if an image will be ok for print, it's mostly about if the DPI is enough (and of course, the image quality).

I don't claim that all users would appreciate DPI-information, but there is a lot of features and data that most wont ever use, say for instance most EXIF- and IPTC-posts. And the DPI-info is already there (ie. "View as:" -> "Thumbnails & details"), so I thought it would be easy to implement it among all the other stuff in the labels options.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I would like to add my “me too” to Troken's request. :mrgreen:
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Well, image DPI is only relevant for a given print size. Do you have a "standard" print size you use all the time?

Hmmmm... (thinking)

If XnView allowed us to enter (somewhere) a default "print" DPI (ie. "300"), then it could calculate and display the print size for any image from that DPI. VERY USEFUL.

Or...

If XnView allowed us to enter (somewhere) a default print "width" (ie. "6 inches"), then it could calculate and display the DPI for any image from that value. Also VERY USEFUL.

That first approach could support an image resizing option simply called "Scale for standard print size", where the user would select an image, select "resize for print", enter a print size, et voila, XnView would employ the user's default print DPI to automatically resize the image.

One can already accomplish the same result in XnView, but currently the resize dialog is a little cumbersome for that specific task, requiring a couple of steps to get it right.

I notice that Options has no "Print" page. Such a page might be the place for a user to enter the default print DPI value.
John