Questions about sort by Date

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

oakleaf

Questions about sort by Date

Post by oakleaf »

Hi,

I just started using XnView and I have a couple of questions:

Does the "Sort by EXIF Date" feature use the "Date modified" information? (As opposed to the "Date Created" and "Date Digitized" fields?)

What does the "Change Timestamp" feature really do? It looks to change the "Date Created" field in XnView, but I don't see that info in the EXIF data. Is it just used by Windows when you actually create the file (i.e. copy from the camera, or from another disk, etc?)

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I typically do some post processing on some of my camera images. However, once I do this, when I browse the file in XnView (sorted by EXIF Date), the modified images are now at the end of the sort order instead of where the original would have been. :( Checking the EXIF data, the"Date Modified" field has changed to the save date. (This is why I'm guessing that XnView uses this field) I tried using the "Change timestamp" feature, but this doesn't seem to affect the sort order- it just changes the "Date Created" field, which I don't see in the EXIF data. I finally had to use Exifer to copy the original EXIF data over the modified file to get the correct sort order. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any insights, :D
J
NikoJorj

EXIF Date sorting with v1.90.2?

Post by NikoJorj »

Hello!

I also need to sort files in a directory by creation date...

But when I choose View/Sort by/EXIF Date , pictures are oddly sorted, I can't really figure with which date (originally thought about mod date, but it doesn't seems exact...)?

Another confusiong thing is that the corresponding dot does not appear when "exif by date" is selected. See this screenshot eg...

Btw, Sort by length or width behave a bit similarly, but I don't need these ones.

Thanks for your help, and moreover for your greaaaaat software!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Questions about sort by Date

Post by xnview »

oakleaf wrote: Does the "Sort by EXIF Date" feature use the "Date modified" information? (As opposed to the "Date Created" and "Date Digitized" fields?)
Date taken is used
What does the "Change Timestamp" feature really do? It looks to change the "Date Created" field in XnView, but I don't see that info in the EXIF data. Is it just used by Windows when you actually create the file (i.e. copy from the camera, or from another disk, etc?)
'Created date' is not in exif, it's the system date, you have 'Exif:Date taken'
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: EXIF Date sorting with v1.90.2?

Post by xnview »

NikoJorj wrote: I also need to sort files in a directory by creation date...
Creation date from system or from EXIF?
But when I choose View/Sort by/EXIF Date , pictures are oddly sorted, I can't really figure with which date (originally thought about mod date, but it doesn't seems exact...)?
Could you post a screenshot?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:Could you post a screenshot?
I may have sorted it out : I need to sort files by EXIF creation date, and they are sorted by Windows creation date when I choose the "Exif date" sorting option.

See the screenshots :
XnView
Windows explorer

NB : These are taken under WinXP, while I discovered the problem under W2k, I don't feel the OS changes it much but will check it on monday.[/i]
NikoJorj

Post by NikoJorj »

Nikojorj (forgot to put my name in, sorry ) wrote: NB : These are taken under WinXP, while I discovered the problem under W2k, I don't feel the OS changes it much but will check it on monday.
Checked , it's the same under W2kSP4, and btw the same sorting by W's creation date occurs when choosing sort by Image height or width.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:Could you post a screenshot?
I may have sorted it out : I need to sort files by EXIF creation date, and they are sorted by Windows creation date when I choose the "Exif date" sorting option.

See the screenshots :
XnView
Windows explorer

NB : These are taken under WinXP, while I discovered the problem under W2k, I don't feel the OS changes it much but will check it on monday.[/i]
I have no problem...
Could you post another screenshot in 'thumbnail + labels' mode with 'EXIF: date modified' and 'File modified date' for labels?
Pierre.
NikoJorj

Post by NikoJorj »

Could you post another screenshot in 'thumbnail + labels' mode with 'EXIF: date modified' and 'File modified date' for labels?
Ssssir yes sir! :wink:

And that makes me realize I didn't sorted it actually, files aren't sorted by W's date neither... :?
http://nikojorj.free.fr/imgs/Clipboard-1.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

NikoJorj wrote:
Ssssir yes sir! :wink:

And that makes me realize I didn't sorted it actually, files aren't sorted by W's date neither... :?
http://nikojorj.free.fr/imgs/Clipboard-1.jpg
Could you send me a PM with your email, please. I would like to send you a test version...
Pierre.
fg

Post by fg »

I can see no more post.
I have the same problem.(ver. 1.90.3)
when I order the directory with date EXIF a modifyed picture (with Photoshop), is at the end and not near the original picture.
If I look at the 'date taken' in EXIF data I can see that the picture mantain the same date for original and modified picture and the picture are in wrong order
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fg wrote:I can see no more post.
I have the same problem.(ver. 1.90.3)
when I order the directory with date EXIF a modifyed picture (with Photoshop), is at the end and not near the original picture.
If I look at the 'date taken' in EXIF data I can see that the picture mantain the same date for original and modified picture and the picture are in wrong order
Could you post a screenshot?
Pierre.
fg

Post by fg »

Here is the screenshot, hoping that it can help you.
Thanks.
http://www.rotaryvaldisecchia.it/xnview.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fg wrote:Here is the screenshot, hoping that it can help you.
Thanks.
http://www.rotaryvaldisecchia.it/xnview.jpg
Could you add 'exif date modified' to the thumbnail label?
Pierre.
fg

Post by fg »

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, it's normal, the date used for sort is 'EXIF: date modified'
Pierre.