Edit description: multiline text

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

murthy363

Edit description: multiline text

Post by murthy363 »

In the Edit description window, I experience problem when I try to key-in (NOT copy and paste) a multi-line description with line breaks.

At the end of each line of text, I normally press 'Enter' to insert the line break and go to the next line. But 'Enter' has the same functionality as the 'OK' button.

We may have the functionality to the 'Enter' key to insert a line break and the 'OK' button to accept the keyed-in text into description.

This however, may pose a limitation to thise, who prefer to use the key-board only. For this purpose, a function key (like F10, which many programs use may be set for the 'Save' function, uniformly across the entire program.

btw, now the text for the 'OK' button("OK")may be changed to "SAVE". The "SAVE" word will more clearly and directly reveal the functionality than the word "OK". When the English version of XnView is used by many across the globe with different levels of English proficiency, an easier word may be preferred.

My system : WinXP Prof SP II : XnView Version 1.90.3

Thanks to pierre for XNView
Last edited by murthy363 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a lazy person, always searching for ways to avoid work and still manage the show !

My System : Win XP SP2 + XnView standard English version
Clo
XnThusiast

One-line!

Post by Clo »

:) Hello!

• If you mean to write in a <descript.ion> file, let know that this format doesn't support multi-line comments.
- Thus, you can't use any kind of wrapping, that doesn't work, but this is not a bug.

- Moreover, its limited up to a certain number of characters, since it's a single line.
¤ This can vary according to the variant of the format which is used (there are some ones)…
- The text is wrapped “randomly”, as soon as WinDung decides that the pop-up info-text is wide enough :P

- Its advantage is that it supports long names, even with spaces.

• Another comment format is <files.bbs>, it supports the multi-line text, but not the long names (old 8.3 DOS !)
- XnView doesn't use it, though.

• The two formats are supported by Total Commander.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
P.S. : You might have a glance on this HUGE THREAD in the TC forum…
- Note : There, as Guest, you may read only…
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
murthy363

Re: One-line!

Post by murthy363 »

Clo wrote::) Hello!

• If you mean to write in a <b> file, let know that this format doesn't support multi-line comments.
- Thus, you can't use any kind of wrapping, that doesn't work, but this is not a bug.
-> clo,
I agree, that description (descript.ion) accepts a single line text only with limitation of length of chars. Also, I do not find much use for multi-line text, as such personally.

But some members like gentilecliente and may be a few others (please refer to the thread started by gentlecliente) wanted allowing long text, which will look good only with line-breaks at the appropriate locations.

Considering all these factors, i made this post. Long text with scroll bar added in 1.90.3, is really a facility at least for those who need to use long text. Line break will enhance the appeal of the long text.

Whether descript.ion supports or not is a different question.

Well, can I call it a bug or feature request?
May be more appropriate to call it a feature request, sorry. If considered necessary, may be shifted to feature request.

I am not using TC as of now, but will look into and start using it soon, to understand the features in it. As i read in many posts in this forum, XnView and TC make a good combination to go with
I am a lazy person, always searching for ways to avoid work and still manage the show !

My System : Win XP SP2 + XnView standard English version
Clo
XnThusiast

A good team…

Post by Clo »

—> murthy363

:) Again…
…I am not using TC as of now, but will look into and start using it soon, to understand the features in it. …
• Nice to hear, we have a big community there and some very advanced guys…
…As I read in many posts in this forum, XnView and TC make a good combination to go with
• Absolutely ! Hmm… I've acted in that way some years ago in order that XnView be also supported by TC
as a partner programme for the images display ;)

• The Mods here will appreciate what is the best location for your thread,
I guess it's rather a feature request, but I'm not a Mod here…

• I think that Pierre might read the TC thread I quote too, there is a lot of important indications, links etc. very helpful.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice