JPG striping colors problem in browser display

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ghost zero

JPG striping colors problem in browser display

Post by ghost zero »

For the attached sample JPG image, there is a striping colors problem in browser display. Happens in fullscreen and in the preview area. But this problem doesn't happen to the image if tabbed--the image is smoother. Can this be fixed?

sample JPG image:

problem:
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: JPG striping colors problem in browser display

Post by xnview »

ghost zero wrote:For the attached sample JPG image, there is a striping colors problem in browser display. Happens in fullscreen and in the preview area. But this problem doesn't happen to the image if tabbed--the image is smoother. Can this be fixed?
Strange i can't reproduce it, and i use the same resize method.
You have a low resolution on your screen 800x600??
Pierre.
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

i use 1600x1200 32 bit. did you try using the test image above?
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I confirm having a small difference between Browser's fullscreen and Viewer, even when viewed at 100% (ie: no resize)... but it's slightly different from what you get (I have 1600x1200 32 bits too).

Here is the pattern of the difference once expanded to the maximum:

This difference is maybe due to slight differences in colour adjustements... :? ...although this image has no ICC embedded profile.
Olivier
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

btw: the screenshot was taken with a test image 2x larger
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:I confirm having a small difference between Browser's fullscreen and Viewer, even when viewed at 100% (ie: no resize)... but it's slightly different from what you get (I have 1600x1200 32 bits too).

Here is the pattern of the difference once expanded to the maximum:

This difference is maybe due to slight differences in colour adjustements... :? ...although this image has no ICC embedded profile.
Ok, i understand. The difference is the loading. I use for preview jpeg fast arithmetic, so i think that it's not a good idea...
Pierre.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

You can't really get the same results with the half sized image. However, if you use xnview to double size the image and save it, then run the tests, you should get the same results. It clearly has something to do with resizing in the preview pane. If you change the size of the preview pane and watch the image, you can see the stripes change. They become more obvious at certain points and less obvious at others.

It should also be noted that the striping is in the original image to a certain degree, but is normally not apparent unless you zoom in and look very closely.
My guess is that the preview pane isn't using high quality zoom (I remember some post along the same lines here ages ago, don't recall whatever became of the issue). I tried turning off the high quality enlarge/reduce settings under view in the options, but it had no effect on either the preview pane, nor the viewer mode.
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

remember this problem also happens in the fullscreen mode from browser
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

fixed yet?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ghost zero wrote:fixed yet?
Yes
Pierre.