Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckit
XnThusiast

Suggestion> Add ImageShack Hosting URL to Info Menu

Post by ckit »

Subject title says it all :)

ImageShack Hosting for free!
http://www.imageshack.us/

Heres an example of ImageShack Hosting (just me experimenting for a backup solution for ebay use)
http://img189.exs.cx/img189/6853/ckitdsk200501299ti.png
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
helmut

Re: Suggestion -> Add ImageShack Hosting URL to Info Menu

Post by helmut »

ckit wrote:Subject title says it all :)

ImageShack Hosting for free!
http://www.imageshack.us/

Heres an example of ImageShack Hosting (just me experimenting for a backup solution for ebay use)
http://img189.exs.cx/img189/6853/ckitdsk200501299ti.png
Think that's a nice offer, but do we really want to have (sort of) ads in XnView? Also, if your XnView version gets older all those links might no longer be valid (this could be avoided using a redirect).

I've just tried to upload an image myself. It's very quick and simple. For uploading I haven't registered, is there are need to do that?
There's ads shown with the image, but I think that's not too bad. Perhaps a general way for people to upload images which they want to add to their post (until we have an Upload mod installed for this forum).
Do you know for how long the uploaded images will be hosted by ImageShack?

Perhaps we create an FAQ and list free hosters there. Or an FAQ: "How to use images in my posts?". What do you think?
Last edited by helmut on Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lostclown

Post by Lostclown »

I agree with you Helmut.

This feels to much like an ad for me to be included within the application.
No matter how good a free service is it should not be mentioned so explicitly unless it had some direct benefit for xnview.

Mentioning this in a FAQ as an example of a useful service for xnview's users is a much better idea.

Lostclown.
Olive

Post by Olive »

Hello Helmut, although I use this service and think it's good I totally agree with you on the "ad-free" spirit of Xnview!

The problem is they're serving a lot of images, and sometimes it's slow..

For your information, it is not needed to register to upload (as you noticed) but registering is free and will let you get back to what you've uploaded (you see them all in one page and can delete etc.)
aardvarko

Post by aardvarko »

a generic FTP or HTTP POST uploader would be very much appreciated. this is non-trivial, though. (unless MS has made hooks for their graphical FTP interface from IE?)
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

this might be very usefull for all those ImageShack fans out there :) (like me)

ImageShack QuickLoad
ImageShack QuickLoad integrates with Windows XP, 2000, or 2003 and allows you to upload images directly from your PC by right-clicking any image and selecting "ImageShack Quickload."
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
helmut

Post by helmut »

|VooDoo| wrote:this might be very usefull for all those ImageShack fans out there :) (like me)

ImageShack QuickLoad
ImageShack QuickLoad integrates with Windows XP, 2000, or 2003 and allows you to upload images directly from your PC by right-clicking any image and selecting "ImageShack Quickload."
Interesting info. But uhh, you need the .NET Framework installed. :-|
Danny

Post by Danny »

Imageshack isn't by far the only service of that kind. No clue why you picked them but one thing is for sure: you must ask them for permission first.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

May not be by far the only one, but pretty sure it's the most used and the one offering the better services. And no... I didn't get payed to say that :P

But still I not sure if I'd like to see this implemented.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's an option in XnView to use Explorer's Right Click menu. So, install that tool, enable that option and there you go!

;)
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

hi,
is there a chance to implement a direct upload to imageshack into xnview?
cheers
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

herr_k. wrote:is there a chance to implement a direct upload to imageshack into xnview?
Yes, i would like but i don't know how to make that!
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ImageShack ([url=http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=developer]Introduction and Usual Requirements of the XML API[/url]) wrote:The ImageShack Developer center allows a complete integration of ImageShack's services into any website or software via the use of an XML API, is subject to the ImageShack Terms of Service, and is free to use.

Terms specific to the XML API:
  • Website or software must already be developed or have a strategic plan to be developed in the near future.
  • Website or software users must be informed that ImageShack is providing free image hosting.
Free implimentation support is offered to websites that have at least 500 unique visitors per day (users) or expect to achieve 500 users in the near future. Otherwise, the XML API is offered as is.

Request a key to gain access to this page. In your email, specify the amount of unique visiors your site gets per day and include a description of how you intend to use the ImageShack XML API.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Imageshack is a good hosting service, but only one of many (with no major advantages over most of the others, they're all largely the same). Some, more commercial, imaging software has built in "upload to [photo hosting site]" functions, but it definitely makes it feel like they have a partnership with such sites. While having such a feature could be useful, do you really want to give the impression that xnview has some partnership with imageshack or whatever other such site?

One possible solution would be to include multiple such sites. Have a menu option that says "upload to image hosting site >" and selecting it would open a submenu listing the different sites xnview can upload it to. This would allow you to have the uploading feature, without appearing to be allied with any specific site. I once compiled a list of several such hosting sites, you can find the list here: http://cgi.allspark.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=312
Clo
XnThusiast

List OK, but…

Post by Clo »

—> Drahken

:) Hello !
…One possible solution would be to include multiple such sites. Have a menu option that says "upload to image hosting site >"
• I'ld be rather in favour of such a solution, and could support it.

• However, from my own point of view, images hosts are not always the panacea since -IIRC-
the images are deleted when a certain delay is elapsed @ some hosts…
- With regard to our forum, this is pretty annoying, because it's not rare that we have to unearth
some antiquated thread, and the images of that thread have gone in the limbo… :(

- I use my Web sites space, where all images are kept as long as I decide to remove them,
keeping a backup @ home, though…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Danny

Post by Danny »

Since Imageshack is probably the most widely know service of it's kind it has become really really slow by now. So i don't think this makes any sense, if you can't choose on which website you want to upload it.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.