missing libstdc++ (Solaris)

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

clluengo

missing libstdc++ (Solaris)

Post by clluengo »

I recently upgraded XnView but cannot run it any more:
ld.so.1: xnview: fatal: libstdc++.so.2.10.0: open failed: No such file or directory
The previous version I had (1.68) did not need this library. Is there a reason for not linking it statically? The gcc libraries are not standard on Solaris, so you should provide the ones you use in the distribution. Alternatively, compile using the Sun compiler and use the default C libraries that are already present on every Solaris system.

Cris.
ehup

seems to work with later libraries

Post by ehup »

I tested it against 6.0.3 (gcc3) and it seems to function ok
digipeep

Re: missing libstdc++ (Solaris)

Post by digipeep »

clluengo wrote:I recently upgraded XnView but cannot run it any more:
ld.so.1: xnview: fatal: libstdc++.so.2.10.0: open failed: No such file or directory
The previous version I had (1.68) did not need this library. Is there a reason for not linking it statically? The gcc libraries are not standard on Solaris, so you should provide the ones you use in the distribution. Alternatively, compile using the Sun compiler and use the default C libraries that are already present on every Solaris system.

Cris.
I get exactly the same error message. Anyone got a solution?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: missing libstdc++ (Solaris)

Post by xnview »

digipeep wrote:
clluengo wrote:I recently upgraded XnView but cannot run it any more:

Cris.
I get exactly the same error message. Anyone got a solution?
Could you tell me which libstdc++ you have?
Pierre.

libstdc++

Post by Guest »

Was there a resolution on this issue? I am running into the same and am not a Solaris guru to know enough to figure out what to do here...
Tim K

Re: libstdc++

Post by Tim K »

Anonymous wrote:Was there a resolution on this issue? I am running into the same and am not a Solaris guru to know enough to figure out what to do here...
I see that the library I have is libstdc++.so.6.0.2 --- how does that relate to 2.10.0?
Tim K

Re: libstdc++

Post by Tim K »

Tim K wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Was there a resolution on this issue? I am running into the same and am not a Solaris guru to know enough to figure out what to do here...
I see that the library I have is libstdc++.so.6.0.2 --- how does that relate to 2.10.0?
Never mind on all that, we put the 2.10.0 version onto the server and away we go.
Tim K

Solaris 10?

Post by Tim K »

We are migrating to Solaris 10 and the sys admin guy I'm working with says that the 10.2.0 library is old and not available on Solaris 10. Can I recompile?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Solaris 10?

Post by xnview »

Tim K wrote:We are migrating to Solaris 10 and the sys admin guy I'm working with says that the 10.2.0 library is old and not available on Solaris 10. Can I recompile?
2.10. you means?
Pierre.
Tim K

lib

Post by Tim K »

I'll post again when I'm better informed with our environment. I'm running into my ignorance of Solaris most likely.

Re: lib

Post by Guest »

Tim K wrote:I'll post again when I'm better informed with our environment. I'm running into my ignorance of Solaris most likely.
Symlinking libstdc++.so.2.10.0 to libstdc++.so (i.e. whatever your version is) should work just fine, I'm on 5.0.5 and it works great!
rroliver

Post by rroliver »

Anonymous wrote:
Tim K wrote:I'll post again when I'm better informed with our environment. I'm running into my ignorance of Solaris most likely.
Symlinking libstdc++.so.2.10.0 to libstdc++.so (i.e. whatever your version is) should work just fine, I'm on 5.0.5 and it works great!
Attempting to use a different version of libstdc++ between versions is simply broken (even though it works... for now), ideally on a solaris box there would be no dependency against a shared gnu libstdc++ full stop (or at the least the version compiled against should be supplied with the package and the package binaries compiled with -R ../lib, libstc++ is LGPL after all).

Is there any chance this could be recompiled with the Sun Studio compilers (they are a free download now, get at it via the opensolaris site)?

If not I dont suppose there is any chance of a source tarball ;)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rroliver wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Attempting to use a different version of libstdc++ between versions is simply broken (even though it works... for now), ideally on a solaris box there would be no dependency against a shared gnu libstdc++ full stop (or at the least the version compiled against should be supplied with the package and the package binaries compiled with -R ../lib, libstc++ is LGPL after all).

Is there any chance this could be recompiled with the Sun Studio compilers (they are a free download now, get at it via the opensolaris site)?

If not I dont suppose there is any chance of a source tarball ;)
Ok, i'll try to make a new build on solaris...
Pierre.