Metadata (XMP / IPTC / EXIF) Editor improvements

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

theChad

Metadata (XMP / IPTC / EXIF) Editor improvements

Post by theChad »

I'm running XnView 1.9 beta 6 and noticed a few missing "features" in the Edit IPTC data dialog.

Accessibility / Usability / Keyboard Shortcuts
- The keyboard controls don't work as expected. Ctrl+Tab should cycle through the tabs, yet it functions like the Ctrl key is not pressed.
- No fields except the Write button have an associated keyboard command.
- The Write button acts like an "Apply" button; there should be the same buttons as a standard Windows dialog has... OK (save and close), Apply (save only), Cancel (close only). Adding the additional button saves one step in the update process and would give a more consistent look and feel.

I'm still a little lost on the actual definition of all the IPTC fields (what's the actual definition of "credit” and the difference in credit and source); however, it appears that Object Name should be the file name. If that is correct then it would be very nice to have a <filename> value like the Date Created value supports the <modified> value.

Quick Lists [see http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4453]
The Keywords and Captions tabs have this new feature as does the Date Created and Release Date fields, but it should be applied to many other fields. The old, yet still great EXIFer implemented this. It is a great time saver and helps tremendously with consistency. Essentially, just add the “>>” button to every applicable field and add custom values to the drop down list like EXIFer does.

Multiple metadata standards
When editing of EXIF and XMP data is added, it would be a good idea to apply changes to all applicable fields to maintain consistency, backward compatibility and help with apps that don't support one of the standards. So, for instance, when writing an IPTC caption, it would be saved in the corresponding IPTC, EXIF, XMP, and JPEG Comment fields.

I’ll be glad to split this into multiple threads if it will be more manageable to track.

Much thanks for the awsome app that XnView is!
Troken

Re: Metadata (XMP / IPTC / EXIF) Editor improvements

Post by Troken »

theChad wrote:- The Write button acts like an "Apply" button; there should be the same buttons as a standard Windows dialog has... OK (save and close), Apply (save only), Cancel (close only).
Good enhancement, I support this.
theChad

Post by theChad »

Troken wrote:Good enhancement, I support this.
Anyone else, or is this dead?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

theChad wrote:
Troken wrote:Good enhancement, I support this.
Anyone else, or is this dead?
No never dead, but i need time
Pierre.
theChad

Post by theChad »

xnview wrote:No never dead, but i need time
Thank for the response. I'm happy to see it caught your attention and it appears you are going to implement the suggestions. I would be happy to do a mockup of the changes if you think it would ease the development work.

Thanks again.
ev

Metadata

Post by ev »

Hello,

I would love to have metadata filters and keywords and metadata selectors visible in side bars. This would increase the speed of searches dramatically!
Adobe Bridge CS3 has this layout. [img]http://www.erikvisser.com/xnview/bridge.jpg[/img]
scw2wi

Post by scw2wi »

I'm also interested in a Metadata Dock.
Would it be possible to add IPTC-Data to the existing Window like:
Folders / Favorites / Categories / IPTC
Walter
Philip Goddard

Post by Philip Goddard »

Although I use XnView now for almost all my photo image management functions, I don't use it for IPTC metadata entering / editing, because, despite some bugs and the odd missing bits, Abander PhotosControl is MUCH better for that. I would like to see a similar arrangement in XnView, so that I can use just the one program for everything.

What I want, then, is an IPTC editor displaying the IPTC fields for any selected single image in the browser, which also works when more than one image is selected - even the whole collection being possible when "Show files in subfolders" is selected. I would like it to behave as follows:

** When more than one image is selected, all IPTC fields in the editor are by default closed to editing, and a button or icon next to each one has to be clicked to open it to editing. This way, you can enter or edit data in selected fields for the batch without risk of affecting the other fields.

** If one of the images contains IPTC data but the others in the selected batch doesn't, then for those fields opened to editing, saving the data would write that data to all the selected images. In this way, with PhotosControl I can quickly put author and copyright information in ALL my images in one 'transaction', while leaving the individual images' title (object name), description and keywords untouched. For a batch of new photos I can select one non-new image plus the new ones, open for editing the fields for the fields which I want shared in the batch, press Ctl-S for saving the open fields, and in one stroke all the images have that data.

** One omission in PhotosControl to avoid in such a batch-operating IPTC editor is that of losing data that you've entered if you happen to click on another image. I note that in the IPTC display in XnView's browser, if I edit a field and move from it I'm prompted to save the edit. That's what's necessary also in any extension of the metadata editing facility.

** Storing of entered data, to give entry completion facility for each field, with drop-down list.

That's it. I'd really like to have all that functionality in XnView and then be able to keep to the one program for all my photo management functions. Thanks, Olivier, for a great program!
Philip
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Yes, this is how the IPTC sidebar functionality should work.

Support++
John
tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

++ for me too, this type of data is the future

and xnView seems to have the bes facilities for so far.
RekishiEJ

I'm eager about it as well.

Post by RekishiEJ »

In fact,I also aspire to use this convinient batch IPTC metadata editing function.Hope the XnView team can add this function along with improved histogram viewer and Unicode support in the 2.x version.Thanks! :)
會利用媒體,他就是英雄。
(If one can utilize the media, he is the hero.)
d99frans

Post by d99frans »

I'd like to join in the chorus. XnView is the one application I use for sorting, tagging, browsing, searching, and viewing photos.

Enhanced support for editing IPTC fields and searching based on IPTC is on the top of my wish list for the next release!

For example, how about a guided search function that lets you see which values that are entered for files in a certain folder/searchpath?
w84100

Post by w84100 »

Same for me. I tried a lot of applications to sort, manage and find pistures. But nearly all does this in its own format and style. So i'm searching since a long time for an application which realy supports IPTC in a way you can use this. This is my major topic on a wish list.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: I'm eager about it as well.

Post by xnview »

RekishiEJ wrote:batch IPTC metadata editing function
I hope to enhance IPTC editing before the 2.x
Pierre.
ichier

Post by ichier »

yes yes yes please :)