Histogram pane enhanchement

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ilgaspa

Histogram pane enhanchement

Post by ilgaspa »

Would be possible to modify or give some degree of customizability to the histogram pane? Right now the histogram fills the full pane (with no frame or axis) and has always all the three colour channels visible, wich I found IMHO really confusing (sometimes one colour has a really high peak and, as the histogram is scaled to that peak, other less "peakful" colours are really hard to see).. Some right click options to turn on/off the channes could be lifesavers in these situations, and a little framing with axis would make the histogram more readable... an alternative would be "limiting" these peaks so that the overall histogram is always clear... I know I'm not too clear myself (english isn't my language), but I mean something like the histogram shown in the right part of this screenshots (the graph is scaled to the "luminosity" plot, and the other channels maxs out)

PS I know it's not too "correct" posting links to other tools, but I don't know how to host a mockup of what I'd need for the histogram and so I looked for something similar on the net to show to you :-)

PPS Being also able to have it visible togheter with preview and image info (like is now possible with the preview and info or preview and histogram) would be cool ;-)[/img]
ilgaspa

Post by ilgaspa »

noone interested in this? :(
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Support
John
Troken

Post by Troken »

Good suggestion, I support it as well.
cnnrbl

Re: Histogram pane enhanchement

Post by cnnrbl »

ilgaspa wrote:Right now the histogram fills the full pane (with no frame or axis) and has always all the three colour channels visible, wich I found IMHO really confusing (sometimes one colour has a really high peak and, as the histogram is scaled to that peak, other less "peakful" colours are really hard to see).. Some right click options to turn on/off the channes could be lifesavers in these situations, and a little framing with axis would make the histogram more readable... an alternative would be "limiting" these peaks so that the overall histogram is always clear... I know I'm not too clear myself (english isn't my language), but I mean something like the histogram shown in the right part of this screenshots (the graph is scaled to the "luminosity" plot, and the other channels maxs out)
I'd like XnView to be able switch between "clasic" linear histogram and logarithmic histogram (see GIMP).
It can solve the problem above...
Danny

Post by Danny »

cnnrbl wrote:I'd like XnView to be able switch between "clasic" linear histogram and logarithmic histogram (see GIMP).
It can solve the problem above...
I'd be fine with this, but not with the original suggestion.

Right now, if you really care about the histogram, you can easily enlarge it with about 2 clicks on the window frame divisors. Then the histogram will take up all the space on the screen for you to analyse it.
That, and i actually like it to have all 3 channels in 1 histogram. Saves a lot of space and/or clicking.

In your program there, you would have to do a lot of scaling, which i think is worse.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
RekishiEJ

Post by RekishiEJ »

Me,too. The zooming in of histogram in XnView is quite more convinient than Zoner Photo Studio 9.
會利用媒體,他就是英雄。
(If one can utilize the media, he is the hero.)
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

It would be helpful if the histogram sidebar could be shown beside (or semi-transparently over) the image in the viewer AND if it responded with the image when I adjust the gamma.
John
cnnrbl

Post by cnnrbl »

Does enybody else use LOGARITHMIC HISTOGRAM?
cnnrbl

Post by cnnrbl »

And what about showing histogram in full-screen mode? Just simple line (3 colors) chart over the picture? Decent size (or adjusted size) in a corner of the screen.
It is off topic, sorry, but I appreciate the five star rating in the full-screen too.
ilgaspa

Post by ilgaspa »

Danny wrote:
cnnrbl wrote: In your program there, you would have to do a lot of scaling, which i think is worse.
Yet I think that being able to tell the xnview to "max out" at luminance peak, a la Zoner, would make the graph more readable... for example, when taking landscape photos, I end up with only the blue channel being visible, while red, green and luminance vanishes, squashed by the blue channel peak... And the fact that there's no margin or axis in the graph makes overexposed and underexposed area peaks (the ones at the extreme left and right of the graph) less visible, as they end up being a pixel wide line next to the frame margin... I don't say changing the behaviour radically, but making it a little more configurable would be great!
cnnrbl wrote:Does enybody else use LOGARITHMIC HISTOGRAM?
I often use it in digikam, and I'd like it in xnview too... i think it's useful to overcome the same scenarios described above :)
cnnrbl wrote:And what about showing histogram in full-screen mode? Just simple line (3 colors) chart over the picture? Decent size (or adjusted size) in a corner of the screen.
I opened a thread a while ago proposing the ability to add histogram to the "infos" you can show hide when fullscreen by tapping I on the keyboard... I'd like this too ^_^

In conclusion, a "good" histogram representation is really subjective, so I'd like being able to configure it more :) this way who likes it as it is leaves it as it is, and who like me finds it confusing can change it's appearance :)

PS sorry for the bad english: it's not my language and I'm writing in a hurry while at work ;)