Resize in Batch conversion

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

PBY

Resize in Batch conversion

Post by PBY »

Hi,

I just switch from IrfanView to XnView for sorting my photos.

But I miss the resize option of IrfanView for batch conversion:
With IrfanView, it's possible to resize the LONG SIDE to a specific size. That's great with portrait/landscape photos.

Anyway to do the same in XnView?

Thanks
PBY
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Resize in Batch conversion

Post by xnview »

PBY wrote:Hi,

I just switch from IrfanView to XnView for sorting my photos.

But I miss the resize option of IrfanView for batch conversion:
With IrfanView, it's possible to resize the LONG SIDE to a specific size. That's great with portrait/landscape photos.

Anyway to do the same in XnView?
You have that in 'batch convert'
Pierre.
Danny

Re: Resize in Batch conversion

Post by Danny »

xnview wrote:You have that in 'batch convert'
Maybe we should call that simply "batch processing" since it has been doing a lot more than just converting.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
PBY

Post by PBY »

Sorry, I tried every options of resize in batch conversion, nothing is doing what I want.

The option "Follow orientation (switch W/H)" seems to be what I search, but I get the same result with this option on or off.

Maybe it's because I already rotated lossless my photos following EXIF orientation? But this would not make sense.

What I search to do is very basic for me: I have landscape photo of 4000x3000 and portrait of 3000x4000, I want small version no more of 800 on the longest side, therefore 800x600 for landscape and 600x800 for portrait.
PBY
DemonDuck

Batch Convert -> Batch Processing...

Post by DemonDuck »

Batch Convert should be Batch Processing -- or just Batch. If you are doing bunch of images, why try to catagorize what you are doing to the bunch of images. Just do the bunch of images...

That makes more sense. I convert and do some image processing at the same time.

But the problem I saw was that the Batch capability seems to pull resizing parameters out of thin air. I have converted the same RAF files 3 or 4 times and got different sizes each time. One time I got 12Meg TIF. One time I got 4Meg TIF.

Then I discovered that -- for TIF anyway -- I could specify a "high resolution" option and got all the bytes of the RAF converted. Before I found that option, I was getting a 4Meg TIF from a 12Meg RAF. Very annoying!!!

And using phrases like "high resolution" as a designator for an operation is confusing and misleading. Just give us a way to specify the size and compression. Numbers are more telling than descriptive phrases. With numbers, you know exactly what you are getting.

I suggest making the default to preserve the original size and use all the bytes -- at least for TIF and it wouldn't hurt to make the default for JPEG 100 quality and full size also.
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

PBY: Keep ratio has to be checked, obviously, and use the same number for both width and height.

If you enter a x/y size in the resize box, the image will be sized so that neither dimension is over what you input. (Unless you check fit over, then neither dimension will be under it.) For instance, if you resize a 1280x1024 image to 720x512, it'll come out to 640x512 instead. I think of them as cropping bounds, unlike photoshop's resize box.

Follow orientation is an exif switch that will automatically rotate the image according to exif metadata. (Mine are mostly hard-rotated already, I don't know if I have any that use that at all. I just ignore it.)

So if you want the longest side to be, say, 900 px, whether it's wide or tall, you would use 900 for both dimensions. 1800x900 and 900x1800 will become 900x450 and 450x900 respectively.

DemonDuck: That sounds more like an input/decoding option. tiff, jpg, png etc all save exactly the dimensions they're given. The way xnview is designed it can only return one resolution for images that store several resolutions, whether you're viewing or manipulating. That has nothing to do with batch convert at all, although maybe it should - maybe it should always use the highest resolution.

Keeping camera raw set to high resolution in read/write formats should force the tiff to always have the full resolution. If it's acting randomly when it isn't, I suppose it might be a bug with batch or more likely the decoder.

I'm of the opinion that for raw, high resolution should be inverted: Full resolution should be the default, and low resolution should be optional. Is it because full is slower that it's not default? (This is the sort of thing I think an overall system preset would solve: selecting high quality or high speed.)

(I like Batch by the way.)
PBY

Post by PBY »

Thanks foxyshadis. It works great.

I think that this functionality must be clearly explained in the resize option.
Same for the % in the output path for renaming during conversion.
PBY
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

One way to do that would be to have Width and Height change to Max Width and Max Height when you check Keep Ratio, or Min for Fit Over. Although it's not as good as an explanation or an actual context help, it might give people a better gist of how it works, without having to tinker to figure it out.
DemonDuck

Post by DemonDuck »

foxyshadis wrote: I'm of the opinion that for raw, high resolution should be inverted: Full resolution should be the default, and low resolution should be optional. Is it because full is slower that it's not default? (This is the sort of thing I think an overall system preset would solve: selecting high quality or high speed.)

(I like Batch by the way.)
Both Resize and Crop need a little reorganization. Cropping from the main menu should have the x,y,width and height that the selection box has delineated available for editing so that you can fine tune the size and location of the selection box.

Auto-cropping (available only in Batch processing) should be available from the main menu. Real handy for cleaning up large stitched panoramas that have that wavy top and bottom right after stitching. It could be a check box in the crop control dialog.

Resizing should have similar controls to cropping in that you can select a region and resize that region and crop simultaneously.

And when you convert in Batch, the size should be unaltered unless you add either Crop or Resize to the Batch script.

And one way to organize your approach to User Interface Design is to stop trying to anticipate the user. Give simple and completely controllable features and let the user decide how to use them.
emagin

Batch Converstion - Resize all but Landscape

Post by emagin »

Hello,
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm trying to fine tune a script to load many images onto an iriver clix at 320x240

In Batch Conversion | Transformations | Resize I have the following:
Width 320
Height 320
Keep Ratio - checked

This is fine, except that Portrait images stay portrait.
I would like everything to go Landscape so that they take up the full screen in the clix.

I don't understand how to use follow orientation.
I thought this would help me but it just squeezes images terribly.

Is there anything I can do programmatically so I don't have to rotate them all by hand?

(of course I need the originals to stay portrait so that when I play them on screen they stay portrait)