Auto contrast vs. Quick-copy shortcut

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

shkin

Auto contrast vs. Quick-copy shortcut

Post by shkin »

<Moderator's note: This topic has been split from an announcement>

Thanks for the update.
xnview wrote: Quick Copy-Move To (Ctrl+Alt+c/M) - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13321
Ctrl+Alt+c is (was) a shortcut for auto contrast. It doesn't work anymore. Can it be reverted back?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: XnView 1.91.5

Post by Dreamer »

shkin wrote:Thanks for the update.
xnview wrote: Quick Copy-Move To (Ctrl+Alt+c/M) - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13321
Ctrl+Alt+c is (was) a shortcut for auto contrast. It doesn't work anymore. Can it be reverted back?
Really? Then I suggest to change the shortcut for Auto contrast.

Pierre, are there any other "Auto" shortcuts - auto brightness, auto gamma?

If so perhaps these shortcut might be used (since similar ones are used to control contrast, gamma...)

auto brightness - ctrl+alt+numpad 4
auto brightness - ctrl+alt+numpad 5
auto gamma - ctrl+alt+numpad 6

Quick Copy-Move To (Ctrl+Alt+c/M) shortcuts should be reserved IMO.
Dreamer
shkin

Post by shkin »

Dreamer wrote:
shkin wrote:Thanks for the update.
Really? Then I suggest to change the shortcut for Auto contrast.
Just look under Image|Map. Ctrl+Alt+C for auto contrast and Ctrl+Alt+L for auto levels. This is an old and useful feature. Why should it suffer because of something new and rarely used?
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Ah crap, I knew we should have had a public beta test for 1.91.5.
We're going to need a 1.91.6 to fix this now.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So i change for these shortcuts?

auto levels - ctrl+alt+numpad 5
auto gamma - ctrl+alt+numpad 6
Pierre.
shkin

Post by shkin »

xnview wrote:So i change for these shortcuts?

Pierre, please don't change auto levels and auto contrast shortcuts. What is the need?

While we are at it, is it possible to add shortcuts for Levels, Sepia and Effects? It will save a lot of time switching between mouse and keyboard in my workflow.

Thanks.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

It's not easy to decide. There are many other "color" shortcuts "ctrl+numpadx", and there are no free meaningful shortcuts for "quick copy/move", so I'd use the current "quick copy/move" shortcuts and add those in Pierre's last post.
While we are at it, is it possible to add shortcuts for Levels, Sepia and Effects? It will save a lot of time switching between mouse and keyboard in my workflow.
This is another reason to reserve the current "quick copy/move" shortcuts, it would be impossible to find the free shortcuts for all those options - but if we'd use ctrl+alt+numpad x shortcuts, there are enough free numbers. Perhaps another shortcut might be implemented then - ctrl+alt+numpad 0 to auto "all" (auto brightness, levels, gamma... at once).

shkin - if you really want to use the old shortcuts, then you could use HotkeyP to change the shortcuts, you could use any shortcuts, if you use those shortcuts often. You can find a guide in this forum - FAQ section.

BTW Pierre, hope you have noticed also another shortcut issue:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=53604#53604
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote: This is another reason to reserve the current "quick copy/move" shortcuts, it would be impossible to find the free shortcuts for all those options -
Ctrl+C/V Ctrl+Alt+C/V is a good shortcut for copy/move so we must keep this one...
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:auto gamma - ctrl+alt+numpad 6
What is Auto Gamma? Where can it be found?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote:
You have no auto gamma, only auto levels/contrast
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:
Troken wrote:
So why the shortcut? Do I sense a new feature? :wink:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote:
xnview wrote:
Troken wrote: What is Auto Gamma? Where can it be found?
So why the shortcut? Do I sense a new feature? :wink:
It's an error :-)
We have only:
Pierre.
shkin

Post by shkin »

Dreamer wrote:
This is another reason to reserve the current "quick copy/move" shortcuts, it would be impossible to find the free shortcuts for all those options
That is why the shortcuts should be configurable. :)

In fact, I don't mind so much that the shortcut will change as long as it is still there. But still, I definitely do not want to use an additional app for shortcuts and don't understand the logic of changing one feature in favor of another one. Maybe it's just me, but inconsistency really bugs me. Some features have shortcuts, some don't. Some I can add to the toolbar with an icon, some cannot. Some options are saved/configured in the main settings dialog screen, some appear somewhere in the program, then some are remembered and some aren't. Some are hidden in INI (which is actually fine as long as it would be documented and the doc could be found when the program installed). And like in the example below no one wants to answer why/when/if it can be implemented or not.

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13587
Clo
XnThusiast

Global commands management !

Post by Clo »

—> shkin

:) Hello !
…But still, I definitely do not want to use an additional app for shortcuts and don't understand the logic
of changing one feature in favor of another one. …
• I agree totally, it's “To rob Peter to pay Paul(in French, funnier : "To undress Peter to dress Paul")

• We miss a good global commands manager, like I showed as a first approach HERE ten months ago…
- That needs also configurable menus, like discussed IN THAT THREAD.
…And like in the example below no one wants to answer why/when/if it can be implemented or not.

• This could be done for the menus, according to the final messages of the thread I quote above,
and also according to the result of the corresponding poll…
- An extra page for the short cuts on the Command manager should solve the issue…
- However, nothing prevents to begin such improvements before the mythic future 2.0
(where all languages will be as text-files…), that's even quite necessary and useful, IMHO.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

shkin wrote:That is why the shortcuts should be configurable. :)

In fact, I don't mind so much that the shortcut will change as long as it is still there. But still, I definitely do not want to use an additional app for shortcuts and don't understand the logic of changing one feature in favor of another one. Maybe it's just me, but inconsistency really bugs me.
This was a mistake / bug, every software has bugs.

Configurable shortcuts would be nice, but there are so many other suggestions and just one author, so why you don't want to try HotkeyP? You could change the shortcuts in almost any program, there are many other features, it's free, no install is needed and the zip size is only 103kB!!
shkin wrote:Some features have shortcuts, some don't. Some I can add to the toolbar with an icon, some cannot. Some options are saved/configured in the main settings dialog screen, some appear somewhere in the program, then some are remembered and some aren't. Some are hidden in INI (which is actually fine as long as it would be documented and the doc could be found when the program installed). And like in the example below no one wants to answer why/when/if it can be implemented or not.

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13587
Believe me, it's MUCH worse in other programs - and I really don't know anyone who cares about the users as much as Pierre (author) - check the number of posts from him (9901!!) - and that's just the forum posts!
Dreamer