'Batch processing' rather than 'Batch convert'?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Danny

'Batch processing' rather than 'Batch convert'?

Post by Danny »

It can do so much more than just convert images, shouldn't it be called batch processing instead?
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Batch convert

Post by xnview »

Danny wrote:It can do so much more than just convert images, shouldn't it be called batch processing instead?
Yes, who agree with that?
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

I, indeed

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

:) Hello !

• I agree, indeed.
- In French, I'ld suggest the similar as : “Traitement¦s en séquence”.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

This very thing was mentioned in another topic earlier this year, but I can't find the topic.

Makes sense to me!
John
helmut

Post by helmut »

It's true that the Batch function can do much more than just simple format conversions. But isn't Batch conversion what people know and are looking for?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

The name was a problem when I (or someone else) have suggested to add the JPEG and other lossless transformations, so if changing of name would help to add these options to Batch Convert/Processing, I agree.
Dreamer
Troken

Post by Troken »

helmut wrote:It's true that the Batch function can do much more than just simple format conversions. But isn't Batch conversion what people know and are looking for?
Helmuts got a point, though I personally favor "processing".
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

helmut wrote:It's true that the Batch function can do much more than just simple format conversions. But isn't Batch conversion what people know and are looking for?
My perspective was:
  • 1. Conversion is an incomplete term for the functionality offered by the existing menu item.
    2. "Conversion" IS a (manner of) transformation. (...or is it? See below!)
    3. The menu item's position won't change.
    4. Existing users will recover quickly.
    5. New users won't be confused by the inaccurate term "Conversion", so perhaps will be aware of the existence of the batch "Transformation" dialog sooner than they would otherwise.
The only objection I can think of is that (technically) "Conversion" is about the file format and "Transformation" is about the image content (independent of file format).

From that perspective it would be better to separate the two functions and put Batch Convert under the File menu with its own conversion-only dialog. But then Batch Rename should go into the file menu, too.

But both of those suggestions encounter Helmut's objection.

Maybe a "Master" batch dialog with tabs for "Conversion", "Renaming", and "Transformation" might be applicable. Then there could be three menu items, each opening the same dialog but at a different tab. Rename and Conversion in the File Menu, Transformation in the Tools menu.
John
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

JohnFredC wrote:Maybe a "Master" batch dialog with tabs for "Conversion", "Renaming", and "Transformation" might be applicable. Then there could be three menu items, each opening the same dialog but at a different tab. Rename and Conversion in the File Menu, Transformation in the Tools menu.
Yes, that's exactly the same as in my suggestion here (without reply). Then we might use the active tab as title. Each tab would have its own menu item (in the proper section), keyboard shortcut and perhaps also toolbar button.
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

JohnFredC wrote:But both of those suggestions encounter Helmut's objection.
It feels good to be heard, but don't take my opinion for too serious. ;-)

Actually I like the idea of combining those three batch "thingies" while keeping them separately available and accessible via individual menu items. This will make things more flexible while providing the user an interface he/she is familiar with and will understand.

And I also like the idea of a tab "Input". This tab could be used whenever a function needs input files, e.g. Create Webpage, Create contact sheet, and so on. See discussion in topic 'Unified way for creating file list'.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:And I also like the idea of a tab "Input". This tab could be used whenever a function needs input files, e.g. Create Webpage, Create contact sheet, and so on. See discussion in topic 'Unified way for creating file list'.
Yes, but Transformations/Convert and Rename should be in the same dialog, as two tabs, so it would be possible to convert and rename images at once. Continue here if you like this idea. :wink:
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:... Continue here if you like this idea. :wink:
Right, here we should continue discussion about the naming and in the other topic about the screen design (both naming and screen design are very related, though).