Can't move or copy folder

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

boa

Post by boa »

I can't move or copy folder (drug'n'drop or menu). Sorry, it's bug or feature?
helmut

Re: Can't move or copy folder

Post by helmut »

boa wrote:I can't move or copy folder (drug'n'drop or menu). Sorry, it's bug or feature?
Bug & Feature ;-) In the past, file operations in XnView were very limited. They have become more and more and nowadays, people expect XnView to have full MS Explorer functionality. This is a good idea, but only if undo is supported, too. And perhaps an option to turn this feature off.

At the moment, it is possible to copy/move the folders displayed in the pane of files, only. For moving, you just drag it to another folder in the tree, for copying you press "CTRL" and drag.

See also View/delete folders in Tree view
boa

Post by boa »

I always use thumbnail view to sort my graphics collection & don't test in other mode. Thank you for information ;-)

Do you realize this function in thumbnail mode in the future?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Is there something new with this bug/feature? I think it's one of the most needed features... I don't know if it's too hard to implement this, but if possible, please do it. Thanks.
This is a good idea, but only if undo is supported, too. And perhaps an option to turn this feature off.
I disagree, delete a folder is already possible (with a DEL key and button) and that is more danger than copy/move, so I think Undo would be nice (for copy/move/delete) but it's not necessary - you can move a folder back. Maybe confirmation would be useful (just for drag&drop, not for the context menu or Ctrl+C/M/V shortcuts).

Maybe also other users could say how important it is for them...
christof

move/copy/delete folders

Post by christof »

Dreamer wrote: Maybe also other users could say how important it is for them...
It definitely is! I just moved from ACDsee to xnview and am quite happy with it. Thanks a lot! But for reorganizing my pictures, move/copy of folders in the tree AND in icon view is very usefull! Undo is a nice-to-have, but better move/copy without undo than no move/copy at all!
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

Support! I also would like to cut/copy and paste files and folders via the context menu like in the Windows Explorer, because it is intuitive and convenient. Undo would be nice, but not a prerequisite.

See also this post.
-- Karl
Dirk13

Post by Dirk13 »

Hello,
I would also be happy, if XnView could move/copy folders in the tree.
Yes, XnView is no file manager, but its the perfect tool to organize your pictures and folders - who wants to do this with Windows Explorer? :-)

For us, it would be more comfortable to use a single tool for moving files and moving folders in the tree structure. Its quite hard for me to explain to my father, that he shall move
a) picture files in XnView and
b) picture folders in Windows Explorer
The trees in XnView and Windows Explorer look so similar for him, that it overstrains his logic, why moving folders works in the one program's tree but not in the other. So, please!

Oh, and I absolutely don't need any Undo-function!
After saving an edited JPEG file, I also can't say "Ooops, Undo"... ;-)
Dirk13

Post by Dirk13 »

Hello, some others opinions about this topic?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

grantdes

Post by grantdes »

Copying and moving folders in the tree is a much needed feature. Undo is not expected or needed.
rnc

Post by rnc »

I'm afraid I disagree - if the ability to move/copy/delete etc is promoted then I think an Undo feature is essential. All it takes a one mistaken click and a user has moved or deleted a folder of images with no (easy) way of recovering it. I think that architecturally if Undo was designed in from the beginning it would be beneficial for many users.

Nick
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Just bumping this thread as I think this would be a good feature.

I don't see why an undo is needed, at least in Windows.
As described above, already you can move a folder in XnView by dragging it from the files list (thumbnails) to the folder treeview and there is no undo feature.
There is already a delete feature in the folder treeview via the context menu or simply pressing the delete key, and in Windows it is sent to the Recycle Bin, so it is easily able to be undone.
Undoing a moved folder would be easy as all you would have to do is move it back again.
Undoing a copied folder is even easier as you only need to delete it.
If anything, maybe a conformation dialog box, but I would want to be able to turn the conformation off.

I have been wanting a move/copy feature using the in the treeview for a long time now and look for it with each new release.
The more similar to MS Explorer's behaviour the better in my opinion.
Ron
uksamo

Post by uksamo »

Bump, I'd also love this feature... please :mrgreen:
kjub9

Post by kjub9 »

2011 ??? and no drag and drop ??? ... SICK :(