Show 4 images for movie thumbnails

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lapinoo

Show 4 images for movie thumbnails

Post by Lapinoo »

Right now, movie thumbnails show only one frame.

I would like to have the movies shown with 4 frames (something like folders). Those 4 frames should be selected at 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 of the movie length so that we have a good overview of it in 4 frames.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Show 4 images for movie thumbnails

Post by xnview »

Lapinoo wrote:Right now, movie thumbnails show only one frame.

I would like to have the movies shown with 4 frames (something like folders). Those 4 frames should be selected at 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 of the movie length so that we have a good overview of it in 4 frames.
Like the folder thumbnail with 4 pictures?
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Lapinoo wrote:... Those 4 frames should be selected at 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 of the movie length so that we have a good overview of it in 4 frames.
But that might spoil the end of the movie! :wink:
Lapinoo

Post by Lapinoo »

xnview wrote:Like the folder thumbnail with 4 pictures?
Yes, we can image 4 frames put 2x2 with some black stripes with holes on the sides to remind its a movie.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Troken wrote:
Lapinoo wrote:... Those 4 frames should be selected at 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 of the movie length so that we have a good overview of it in 4 frames.
But that might spoil the end of the movie! :wink:
Right, therefore I have suggested positions from about 10/20/30/40%, but I can't find that topic.

I think it would be useful, also for folder thumbnails, if there are only videos in the folder.

The same suggestion for Shell extension:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5146
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Lapinoo wrote:
xnview wrote:Like the folder thumbnail with 4 pictures?
Yes, we can image 4 frames put 2x2 with some black stripes with holes on the sides to remind its a movie.
Like this? :wink:

Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:... Right, therefore I have suggested positions from about 10/20/30/40%, but I can't find that topic.
I guess it's this one: SE: Support for video files.

Such movie thumbnails would be cool and very intuitive. 8)
Lapinoo

Post by Lapinoo »

Dreamer wrote: Like this? :wink:

Yes, that's the idea !

I would just make the 4 images a little bigger (and the frame a little smaller) so that we have a better reading of the 4 small images and so better finding what the video is just from the thumbnail.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:... Right, therefore I have suggested positions from about 10/20/30/40%, but I can't find that topic.
I guess it's this one: SE: Support for video files.
No, I have suggested it also for browser. Never mind, this will be the official topic.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Lapinoo wrote:I would just make the 4 images a little bigger (and the frame a little smaller) so that we have a better reading of the 4 small images and so better finding what the video is just from the thumbnail.
Yes, I agree, I found just that image on my HDD. Perhaps the same style should be used also if only one image will be used (there is such an option for folder thumbnails, it would be useful also for video thumbnails, for users who use the small thumbnails).
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Dreamer wrote:Right, therefore I have suggested positions from about 10/20/30/40%, but I can't find that topic.
Dreamer ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=23640#23640]Multi-Frame Video Thumbnails[/url]) wrote:There are such thumbnails also in Disk Explorer Professional 3 (freeware):

Or do you mean something like animated GIFs? 5 frames, 1 frame = 1 second?

Anyway, there should be an option to set time (%) of thumbnails, I don't want thumbnails from e.g. 80 or 90% of the movie, maybe 10, 20, 30, 40, 50% would be good.

I support this request, but more information about files (video / audio) i more important IMO.
Dreamer ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=21549#21549]Suggestion for '4in1' thumbnails[/url]) wrote:Make special small images for - video, audio, text, other files and subfolders (or use system default icons) and show these images as '4in1' thumbnails if they are in the folder. Only if no (or just one/two..) images are there. Show just one icon/image per (file) type.
phobos

Post by phobos »

Would prefer the option to have the multipule screenshots to be scrolled through when you mouse over a video thumbnail rather than just one picture. For a demonstration of the funtionality I am requesting, go to http://megavideo.com/ or http://www.imeem.com/video. Here the videos go through about 4 or five screen shots on mouse over to allow you to get a better idea of what the video contains. Ideally the number and percentage through of the screenshot would be configurable. Then people who don't want the functionality can set it to be as is now with just a static thumbnail, but people with the storage and proccesing power have the option to do this.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

phobos wrote:Would prefer the option to have the multipule screenshots to be scrolled through when you mouse over a video thumbnail rather than just one picture.
FYI: There have been discussions about a somewhat similar idea.
phobos

Post by phobos »

XnTriq wrote:
phobos wrote:Would prefer the option to have the multipule screenshots to be scrolled through when you mouse over a video thumbnail rather than just one picture.
FYI: There have been discussions about a somewhat similar idea.
Thanks, but they do not describe what I was suggesting. I may not have explained it properly. Did you go to the two websites I mentioned as I just would like to be able to do what they do with their video thumbnails, but to my local videos.
phobos

Post by phobos »

Bump....

Any movement on this. Video thumbnails on myspace now also give you 4 to five animated sequential images of what the video contains when moused over. Really usefull, would love be able to view my local video thumbnails in the same way. One screen shot is just not enough any more to work out what is in each of the home movies I am amassing.

If not being worked on for Xnview, anyone know of another program that will do this? This would be so usefull I would even for a program that did this.