No thumbnail with NEF files

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TD

No thumbnail with NEF files

Post by TD »

The thumbnails of NEf files made by my camera are displayed correctly. But when I open a JPEG file with Nikon Capture NX and save it as a NEF. I see no thumbnail in the browser view and only a very small picture in the preview on my second monitor.

Other software displays the same file correctly.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: No thumbnail with NEF files

Post by xnview »

TD wrote:The thumbnails of NEf files made by my camera are displayed correctly. But when I open a JPEG file with Nikon Capture NX and save it as a NEF. I see no thumbnail in the browser view and only a very small picture in the preview on my second monitor.

Other software displays the same file correctly.
You can see the thumbnaisl because XnView can extract the thumbnail, but can't read the picture
Pierre.
TD

Post by TD »

The problem is that I do not see a thumbnail in the browser and only a very small thumbnail in the preview.
TD

Post by TD »

Have to bring this up again because it is very anoying to have no thumbs in the browser view.

I understand, that XnView cannot read the picture, sad..., but ok. But why there is not thumbnail in the browser view?

I don'understand.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TD wrote:Have to bring this up again because it is very anoying to have no thumbs in the browser view.

I understand, that XnView cannot read the picture, sad..., but ok. But why there is not thumbnail in the browser view?

I don'understand.
If you don't have 'recognise only by extension', xnview try to build thumbnail from the file by reading the header. The header for RAW file is similar to a TIF.
Pierre.
TD

Post by TD »

But I have 'recognise only by extension' and all my NEF files are perfectly displayed.

Only the NEF's that I made by opening a JPEG file with Nikon Capture NX and saving it as a NEF make the problems.

If you want, I can sent you such a file, just tell me where to sent it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TD wrote:But I have 'recognise only by extension' and all my NEF files are perfectly displayed.

Only the NEF's that I made by opening a JPEG file with Nikon Capture NX and saving it as a NEF make the problems.

If you want, I can sent you such a file, just tell me where to sent it.
Yes, please webmaster at xnview dot com
Pierre.
scw2wi

Post by scw2wi »

If you save JPEG pictures as NEF file,
this is complete different for a NEF RAW-File.

It is a JPEG file with edit steps saved in a NEF format.

Walter
Walter
PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

TD wrote:But I have 'recognise only by extension' and all my NEF files are perfectly displayed.

If I understand your problem and your current settings correctly, I suggest you try turning OFF the "recognise only by extension" option and rebuild the thumbnails.

You may be pleasantly surprised!

PETER