Strange option "Sort file list"

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Iron

Strange option "Sort file list"

Post by Iron »

I've downloaded XnView 1.66 a few days ago and I like it a lot. Easy, Fast and pretty good in what it´s supposed to do.

But I´m experiencing something strange...

In the options I marked in category View->File List to sort directory and file list in any way I wanted (for example: sort by name )

But if in the browser window I right click mouse and change the sort view of a specific directory (for example: sort by date), of course the file list of the images will change....
Now you go to the viewer window and if I use the mouse scroll the images will change like they were sorted in the previous select in the Option (using sort by name )

I think that a little change in this would be great :)

Plus I have a suggestion... In which directory that you change the sort list, the changes I made would be saved for that directory. Would be a better way to personalize the sort list and views in differents directories.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Strange option "Sort file list"

Post by xnview »

Iron wrote:In the options I marked in View->file list-> to sort directory and file list in any way I wanted (for example: sort by name )
But if in the browser window I right click mouse and change the sort view of a specific directory (for example: sort by date), of course the file list of the images will change....
Now you go to the viewer window and if I use the mouse scroll the images will change like they were sorted in the previous select in the Option (using sort by name )
I think that a little change in this would be great :)
Ok, this feature must changed in a next release.
Pierre.
helmut

Different sorting in browser mode and view mode

Post by helmut »

A while back, we had a discussion about the sorting images in browser and view mode in the classic newsgroup. The old posts cannot be accessed, anymore, so here just the main part:

A reason for the problem/confusion is the fact that XnView has two sort orders:
One sort order for images in browser mode and another one in view mode. The setting in the option is for the view mode, whereas the setting in the menu applies for the browser mode, only.

I am not sure whether two sort orders are really needed and helpful. At least, the order in the viewer should match (and follow) the order in the browser by default. So either an option "Same order as in browser mode" should be added or the whole sorting for view mode should be removed.