Research on XnView community - Please join!

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

Troken wrote::arrow: imenebenyahia

Hi, I started with the survey, but I interrupted it due to the quality of the english translation - I didn't understand all of the questions. Sorry, but I like to see that you go through the questions again, trying to translate them better.

Of course, don't put down lots of work to it if im the only one having this trouble. :) Good luck with the survey!
Thank you.

Well I tried to make the quiz clear and I had the translation checked by english speaking people ! but since you say that you do not understand some questions, that means that the translation is not good enough! Im sorry.

Could you please tell me in details what is wrong or not clear in order to make changes and make the quiz better. That is very important.

Many Many thank
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

jstartin wrote:
imenebenyahia wrote:
PS : Can you recommend me any other virtual communities about softwares where the newsgroups are initiated by the author of softwares himself ?? Thanks in advance
Try http://forum.idimager.com/
thank you for this recommendation.
Nice news today. GREAT
Troken

Post by Troken »

imenebenyahia wrote:Could you please tell me in details what is wrong or not clear in order to make changes and make the quiz better. That is very important.
Hello Imenebenyahia,

sure, for instance the first question:
"... which "author of softwares" do you exchange about ..."
Im not sure what "author of software" means, is it simply "software/program"?

Page 2, first question:
"Do you belong to any other virtual community around the softwares of this author"
Here "author" seems to be the programmer/creator of the softwares? In other words, XnView and other programmes made by Pierre?

Page 2, 3rd question:
"Are you already a customer of this author of softwares?"
Here again "author of softwares", and this phrase is used a couple of times. I don't understand it, am I a customer of XnView, or generally speaking - software made by Pierre?

Hm... reading through the rest, I can not find any more issues, so those questions are alright. I think that it is the whole thing with "author of softwares" that confuses me, it is not clear what it means.

Don't get me wrong, Im sure the questions are very understandable for french-speaking participants (the original survey is in french, no?), but I suspect that some phrases have been directly translated and therefore hard to understand. I'd also like to point out that im not a native english speaker myself :) so I write/speak funny english too now and then.
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

Posted by Helmut: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 pm Post subject:

That's why I have changed to "the author of software".
So as noted, it means simply xnview

Thank again you for your interest and your help.
Last edited by imenebenyahia on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

imenebenyahia wrote:Posted by Helmut: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 pm Post subject:

That's why I have changed to "the author of software".
So as noted, it means simply xnview

Thank again you for your interest and your help.
gust

Post by gust »

Thanks for your invitation to participate. Nevertheless, this questionnaire is of such a poor methodological quality, it would be never adequate for any kind of academic study. My students would not even pass their homework like this. How could this be suitable for PhD thesis???
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

gust wrote:Thanks for your invitation to participate. Nevertheless, this questionnaire is of such a poor methodological quality, it would be never adequate for any kind of academic study. My students would not even pass their homework like this. How could this be suitable for PhD thesis???
Thank you for your participation.

Well, I respect your opinion. However can you argue it ?? I accept any critiks but they must be argued.
How did you judge that my research has a poor methodological quality ??, you do not even know its objectives, neither its problematic??!!!!
This quiz is validated by well known professors from Paris Dauphine University as well as from Oxford University
it is too easy to throw words like yours !
Be sure that the quality of my research is, without any doubt, very good. it took us (my sypervisor and me) so much time and so much patience, so much efforts, so much studies, so much care . and we were helped by some colleagues, some professors, and even some communities members. I thank them all. So it is too easy to say what you did say!!
gust

Post by gust »

To give just a few examples:

- What if I spend, say, once a month a few minutes in the community? (your category is: 5-10 min DAILY!)

- "Do you belong to any other virtual community around the softwares of this author?" - What does this mean? Who is the "author" (e.g., MS?)?

- "Are you already a customer of this author of softwares" - see previous remark

- "Are you satisfied with them?" With whom ("author"?) or what ("ways to get in touch"?)?

- You can click to the next questions whithout anwering the previous ones - are the "participants" really "full" participants? You cannot count them for your sample and you cannot use their data...

- There a no residual categories (like na)

- What is your basic population ("total category of subjects which is the focus of attention in your research project") and how do you generate a representative (random) sample? - especially generating participation completely unsystematically???

Just to let you know a few of my objections - they are obvious, even without any detailed knowledge about your project.

Good luck anyway!
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

-- "Do you belong to any other virtual community around the softwares of this author?" - What does this mean? Who is the "author" (e.g., MS?)?
It is explained in the quiz (that means communities created ny netsurfers themsselves for example.
The author is the editor of the softwares.

- "Are you already a customer of this author of softwares" - see previous remark
see previous answer

- "Are you satisfied with them?" With whom ("author"?) or what ("ways to get in touch"?)?
follow the questions and you will guess quickly that it is about the other means of communication

- You can click to the next questions whithout anwering the previous ones - are the "participants" really "full" participants? You cannot count them for your sample and you cannot use their data...
There is a question in the beginning describing the nature of the participation of the members; My sample is members.
- There a no residual categories (like na)
I don't understand, sorry
- What is your basic population ("total category of subjects which is the focus of attention in your research project") and how do you generate a representative (random) sample? - especially generating participation completely unsystematically???
My population is well defined and my sample too, you will find more details in my thesis when published

Just to let you know a few of my objections - they are obvious, even without any detailed knowledge about your project.

Good luck anyway!
Thank you, still waiting for your arguments
Last edited by imenebenyahia on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azsd

Post by azsd »

I just get an "Les réponses sont enregistrées." Message when I filled out all option of this suvry.
hopes I get it done...
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

azsd wrote:I just get an "Les réponses sont enregistrées." Message when I filled out all option of this suvry.
hopes I get it done...
Thanks a lot, That means that your participation is registred. Thank you :D
MaierMan

Post by MaierMan »

Almost all large open source projects have vital online communities (mozilla and ubuntu for example are consumer products).

See:
nntp://news.mozilla.org/ (en mostly, real usenet, accessible via groups.google.com or newsreader)
http://support.mozilla.com/forum/ (en)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/ (~300k members)
http://www.geckozone.org/forum/ (fr, ~23k members)

http://ubuntuforums.org/ (en, ~500k members)
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/ (fr, ~63k members)

On the other hand the survey seems to be about "paid for"-software vendors and these projects give their software away for free...

Additionally, similar to Oracle, you may also try the sun community forums.
http://forum.java.sun.com/index.jspa
Danny

Post by Danny »

I had to lie about my participation. The lowest possible choice was 5-10 minutes A DAY. But i spend around 10 minutes A MONTH in here.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
imenebenyahia

Post by imenebenyahia »

Danny wrote:I had to lie about my participation. The lowest possible choice was 5-10 minutes A DAY. But i spend around 10 minutes A MONTH in here.
Im sorry. I forgot to put the choice (less than 5min/day) although this choice is available in the french version! Unfortunately, I forgot to put it in the english one when translating!.

So to correct that, when describing my sample, I will consider that [5-10 minutes] include those who really spend between 5-10 minutes and also who spend less than 5minutes.

Regards,
Imène BY
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

imenebenyahia wrote: - There a no residual categories (like na)
I don't understand, sorry
na = "not applicable"
I think I can give an example of what "gust" may have been referring to, from when I filled the survey.
Some of the questions relate to paying for product or services. However, my current use of xnview is for private use, for which it is free. So some of the questions about paying for it can only be regarded as NA.
Except that, if I decide it is adequate for my work use then I might pay for some licences. But I might give different answers for work or private use.
You do not know which question I have answered.

With regard to the English: even as a native English speaker I have some difficulty in understanding precisely what you want to know.
As an example you ask if the virtual community is easy to use. Then the next question asks if it is simple to use. Obviously you regard them as having different meanings, but I cannot see how they could have different answers.
So are the English readers answering slightly differently from the French?