Possibility to change color of selection resize fields

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

surfacecleanerz

Possibility to change color of selection resize fields

Post by surfacecleanerz »

I think the edges and the fields in the middle of the selection border or even the whole selection border should be changed or user-changeable to a color like violet or something in the near, because they often disappear because white and grey are colors, which are nearly always used in pictures, too.
This should make them better visible.

Stefan

XnView 1.82 <x>
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: possibility to change color of selection resize fields

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:I think the edges and the fields in the middle of the selection border or even the whole selection border should be changed or user-changeable to a color like violet or something in the near, because they often disappear because white and grey are colors, which are nearly always used in pictures, too.
This should make them better visible.
Sorry i don't understand...
Pierre.
surfacecleanerz

ok, I'll try to explain it better, g :

When doing a selection, this selection has a border shown in white with whit/grey boxes in its edges and in the middles of the 4 sides. This boxes are very difficult to see, so I think it should be better, to change their color to violet, to make them more visible.
I mean the boxes to resize the selection border!

Stefan
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:ok, I'll try to explain it better, g :

When doing a selection, this selection has a border shown in white with whit/grey boxes in its edges and in the middles of the 4 sides. This boxes are very difficult to see, so I think it should be better, to change their color to violet, to make them more visible.
Ok, but i'll change in a future version the selection!
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
surfacecleanerz wrote:ok, I'll try to explain it better, g :

Ok, but i'll change in a future version the selection!
The look of the selection really needs an update. Making selection in a grey screenshot / background is almost impossible since you cannot see any line. Also darkening the non-selected area should be supported for better cropping.
surfacecleanerz

@xnview: future version is ok, that's why I didn't added version number in title.

The rightclick crop should be made the lossless one, if available! Or is it yet?

Greying the outer picture parts out should be added at most after loosing mousebutton from selecting! But I think other things are missing more... It looks nice, but I think its not extremely necessary!
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Move to Postponed.

X.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think most people working on their photos select an area do a crop. For this reason the selection is really important and should be improved.

Rather than finding a good colour the resize handles and the line should be drawn in a way it can be seen always. Programs like MWSnap and PhotoFiltre show the way to go.

Darkening the outer area is very helpful when cropping. But it may be unwanted for other actions. So as long as we do not have a cropping mode, I recommend to offer darkening the outer area as an option which is deactivated by default.

A bit off topic:
A crop tool/mode would be cool: One would click on the crop symbol and then make the selection for cropping, and finally apply cropping by another mouse/keyboard action (e.g. double-click into the selected area).
surfacecleanerz

Inverting the line and fields could be a possibility, I think.
I think, cropping with an visible selection is ok! It probably should be a bit more fat, 2 instead of 1px.
Stefan
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

helmut wrote:Darkening the outer area is very helpful when cropping. But it may be unwanted for other actions. So as long as we do not have a cropping mode, I recommend to offer darkening the outer area as an option which is deactivated by default.

A bit off topic:
A crop tool/mode would be cool: One would click on the crop symbol and then make the selection for cropping, and finally apply cropping by another mouse/keyboard action (e.g. double-click into the selected area).
the selection/cropping is really an orphan in xnview :( .
i am using it a lot and after this is also two years old i want to bump this thread a little.
yes for darkening the outside of the selection.
yes for a crop tool like helmut described.
cheers
Clo
XnThusiast

Grey Story…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: helmut

:) Hi !
The look of the selection really needs an update. Making selection in a grey screenshot / background is almost impossible since you cannot see any line.
• I just remade a series of tests about that topic, and unfortunately that you wrote
a so long time ago is still true in 1.93-ß1…
- However, it's only an insoluble problem - I even dare say a :bugconfirmed: - on dark grey, the worst being a colour like
RGB 128¦128¦128 where the frame and the grab points are totally invisible. :|
- With a slightly lighter grey like RGB 145¦145¦145 the items of the selection begin to be visible, but it's not a wonder,
because the items are drawn with a bit darker grey, while any very light colour or white should be better…
- A very dark grey as RGB 80¦80¦80 shows visible items, but still in a lighter grey, while IMHO,
it might be treated as black and show quite white items.

¤ There is a problem about the threshold of “darkness” from which dark grey hues might be considered as black,
currently that threshold is absent. With RGB 30¦30¦30 the items are quite visible, but as light grey, not white.

• There is no problem with light¦medium colours, XnView sets alright opposite coloured items for the selection,
i.e. on pure yellow, aqua, pure green, red, light grey…
…Also darkening the non-selected area should be supported for better cropping.
• Probably, but when selecting a dark area, lightening the external area seems expected and logical as well…

:mrgreen: G.
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
surfacecleanerz

Hello,

If the selection items would be a bit bigger and the borders would be drawn a bit bigger too and in inverted colours of the background, they would be better visible.

A function to get the corresponding resize function, when cursor is above a border would be great, not only when above an item...

regards,
Stefan
Clo
XnThusiast

Done, but…

Post by Clo »

—> surfacecleanerz

:) Hello !
… If the selection items would be a bit bigger and the borders would be drawn a bit bigger too and in inverted colours of the background, they would be better visible.
• I'm not sure that thicker lines would help… The selection IS drawn in inverted colours,
except for the dark grey hues, like I explained above, and that you can see below :

ImageImage

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

i think inverted is not the best solution though.
take a look at the picture with selection rectangle here.
when the background is black and you want to select the last pixel before the white border, the rectangle gets the same color (black!) like the background when it comes to the white area. so you dont clearly know if you are on white or black...

would be better like transparent totaly different color (here like red),not the exact opposite one.
helmut

Dashed selection

Post by helmut »

Most graphic programs have a dashed selection, combined with inversion: - - - - - - - -. I think this is the way to go for XnView...