XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

strestus

Post by strestus »

So there is no way to choose the image quality for the right click conversion ?

I found that a big disadvantage.

This is the first thing you need for a conversion software.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

strestus wrote:So there is no way to choose the image quality for the right click conversion ?

I found that a big disadvantage.

This is the first thing you need for a conversion software.
For 2.0, in option dialog
Pierre.
anonymous1

Post by anonymous1 »

Is there a switch to silently install the shell extension? Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

anonymous1 wrote:Is there a switch to silently install the shell extension? Thanks
You can use regsvr32 perhaps
Pierre.
anonymous1

Post by anonymous1 »

I use the shell installer.

Post by Guest »

I actually have 2 questions/suggestions for the shell extension:

1) I use another shell extension, picaview (a very old version), which centers the thumbnail in the context menu. I think this looks a little nicer and was wondering if there was any way to toggle this option? Here is an example of how it looks:

2) Is there any way to get the shell extension to recognize and display embedded album art in audio (specifically mp3) files? Currently, it does not show anything for mp3's. I have tried the "Embedded Thumbnail" option, but no luck. Below is an example of how picaview displays album art when right clicking on an mp3 file with embedded art:

Thanks for any help/advice. I just started using XnView and love it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:I actually have 2 questions/suggestions for the shell extension:

1) I use another shell extension, picaview (a very old version), which centers the thumbnail in the context menu. I think this looks a little nicer and was wondering if there was any way to toggle this option? Here is an example of how it looks:
Ok, i'll try to center it
2) Is there any way to get the shell extension to recognize and display embedded album art in audio (specifically mp3) files? Currently, it does not show anything for mp3's. I have tried the "Embedded Thumbnail" option, but no luck. Below is an example of how picaview displays album art when right clicking on an mp3 file with embedded art:
Could you send me a mp3 with embedded art?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

Thanks a bunch.

I sent an email to pierre.g(at)wanadoo.fr with a link to an mp3 of mine that contains an embedded image. Almost any mp3 tagging software can embed pictures into mp3s and almost any player software can display them, so I imagine there are a lot of people that would find this useful.

Anyway thanks for you help. Would these 'updates' just be released with the next version or how can I get them once you are finished?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

2. I have just added it to my suggestion here:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5147
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks a bunch.

I sent an email to pierre.g(at)wanadoo.fr with a link to an mp3 of mine that contains an embedded image. Almost any mp3 tagging software can embed pictures into mp3s and almost any player software can display them, so I imagine there are a lot of people that would find this useful.

Anyway thanks for you help. Would these 'updates' just be released with the next version or how can I get them once you are finished?
Could you send the link to webmaster at xnview dot com
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:Could you send the link to webmaster at xnview dot com
ok, it is done.

i also liked Dreamers suggestions about being able to display track, artist, album, bitrate, etc in the context menu. maybe it could just be in an info submenu or maybe put the bitrate in a similar location as you have resolution for pictures and put addition info in a submenu... there are a lot of good possibilities...
Dreamer wrote:2. I have just added it to my suggestion here:

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5147
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

There is an option to show items in submenu, so if disabled, it should be in the main menu, same as for pictures IMO.
Dreamer
nemo tenetur

XnView Shell Extension ---> Option DISABLED in v.1.92.1

Post by nemo tenetur »

I use XnView ZIP version (v. 1.92.1) and I noticed a strange thing (a strange bahaviour) in the Options. Indeed, I have found a "bad" and strange surprise in:
Options > System integration > Integration > Use XnView Shell Extension

The "Use XnView Shell Extension" option is now (in v. 1.92.1) grayed, i.e. it can't be choosen. In the past version I used (1.96.1), this option was regularly selectable. Now to use XnView Shel Extension the only way is to register DLL by the "regsvr32.exe" service (Start+Run /or/ file.cmd)

Why did you make this choice? Why that option is no more available?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: XnView Shell Extension ---> Option DISABLED in v.1.92

Post by XnTriq »

nemo tenetur wrote:The "Use XnView Shell Extension" option is now (in v. 1.92.1) grayed, i.e. it can't be choosen. In the past version I used (1.96.1), this option was regularly selectable.
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=57814#57814]First-Start screen[/url]) wrote:
xnview (Announcement: [url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=57653#57653]XnView 1.92.1[/url]) wrote: Changed:
* LIBPNG 1.2.24
* F11 open/close fullscreen even with 2 monitors - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14188
* Import WIA use same dialog as 'scan into" - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=56620
* XnViewShellEx must be in ShellEx subfolder
The shell extension is included in the complete version of the ZIP package (XnView-win-full.zip). When the archive is extracted, XnViewShellExt.dll does not end up in its own sub-directory (XnView\ShellEx\), but in the same folder as xnview.exe. Hence, the user cannot activate the Use XnView Shell Extension option on the configuration screen:
nemo tenetur

Thank You

Post by nemo tenetur »

Thank You very much for the answer.

I have updated now at the v.1.93.1 and I noticed that in this release the "ShellEx" folder is regularly created by the ZIP extraction, then the problem is now solved.

Thank You again.