Zoom to a defined screen-section while browsing

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

Zoom to a defined screen-section while browsing

Post by Peter2 »

I have a lot of TIF-files, made by scanning old plans (road construction, architecture, ..). The files have different sizes (DIN A4, A3, A2, ..) and different rotation (landscape, portrait), but always they have in the right lower corner the header of the plan: 5 cm high and 15 long.

Sometimes I want to browse through my scans and want to display (to zoom to it; not really cropping ...) only the header.

Is it possible?

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Zoom to a defined screen-section while browsing

Post by xnview »

Peter2 wrote: Sometimes I want to browse through my scans and want to display (to zoom to it; not really cropping ...) only the header.
Lock zoom?
Pierre.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

xnview wrote:Lock zoom?
No - sorry.

This function locks the scale factor (i.e. 450%) and zoom always to the centre of the next image.
I need to
- lock the zoom
- on an absolute area (i.e. 15 x 5 cm or -15 x +5 cm) and
- with beginning on a point which is semi absolute/relative: the right lower corner of the image.

Peter
Clo
XnThusiast

Loupe

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

:) Hello !

Peter2 needs a magnifying glass (loupe) to blow up only the area of a mobile selection when you move it over the image…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Peter2
XnThusiast

Re: Loupe

Post by Peter2 »

Clo wrote:Peter2 needs a magnifying glass (loupe) to blow up only the area of a mobile selection when you move it over the image…
That is a fine feature too, but not the think I am looking for. I hope I described it correct in my posting above.

Peter
Clo
XnThusiast

If default…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Peter2

:) Hello !
…I hope I described it correct in my posting above.
• Yes, you did. I thought that the magnifying glass could do the trick too,
supposing it's displayed by default at the right-bottom corner, with a 15×5 cm size…:wink:

Claude
Clo
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Peter2 wrote:
xnview wrote:Lock zoom?
No - sorry.

This function locks the scale factor (i.e. 450%) and zoom always to the centre of the next image.
I need to
- lock the zoom
- on an absolute area (i.e. 15 x 5 cm or -15 x +5 cm) and
- with beginning on a point which is semi absolute/relative: the right lower corner of the image.
So something like Lock Zoom & Lock position?
Pierre.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

xnview wrote:So something like Lock Zoom & Lock position?
"Lock of size and intelligent calculation of position" - I will send you some examples of the files which I mean.

Peter
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Hello Pierre

some ideas for this problem?

Peter
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

You know, this seems like something that could be added to the grid functionality.

If a grid definition dialog such as the one I drew up inthis topic was available, one could set the grid to x divisions horizontally, y divisions vertically, have the grid persist between images, and then ask XnView (somehow) to center and zoom on a designated grid cell.

One could select the appropriate grid for the group of images, turn grid visibility off (if desired), then navigate the images, with XnView keeping the selected grid cell in view...

This would really work great when comparing regions in otherwise identical images of differing resolution.

Just an idea, connected to others I would find useful in XnView.
John
Clo
XnThusiast

Predefined area, zoom in here only…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: JohnFredC

:) Hello John !

• IIUC, Peter2 needs the capability to blow up the "title blocks" of his plans which are always 5×15 cm
and set at the right-bottom corner of the images.
• In XnView, a command could make that area "hot" to be blown up, then he could zoom-in it only using
either the normal zoom feature (called in that goal by the special command "cmd_ZoomHotOnly" or so),
or some kind of (Billdows ?) magnifying glass, that I thought to prior…

What do you think ? Indeed, any synthesis of all ideas is welcome… and I began a mock-up for such an option.

Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Clo!

Another approach might be a "reverse loupe" where the user drags a (resizeable) marque around a small proxy of the image. The actual view and its zoom center would follow the marque in the proxy.

Then, a user could click a little "lock" symbol on the reverse loupe to force XnView to open every subsequent image at the center of the marque's relative location and with a zoom amount indicated by the size of the marque on the proxy...

This is just a recycling of the widely used (in other graphics tools) navigator thumbnail idea, but with the addition of a lock feature.
John
Clo
XnThusiast

Polished up…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: JohnFredC

:) Hi John !
…This is just a recycling of the widely used (in other graphics tools) navigator thumbnail idea…
• I thought also to use the thumb nails stuff, but as a variable size "at will",
I don't know if it's that easy to implement for the author…
- I polished up my above proposal, it could be handy and useful in other cases for many users :

ImageImage

• All fits on the current dialogue…

Claude
Clo
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

>Clo
It would be interesting to see its position grid mapped onto the numpad keys. So pressing <numpad + 9> would teleport over to that quadrant. Just a little keyboard navigation to mix into this. Leaping from one part of huge image to another.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Clo...

I like your design!

But wouldn't this functionality be of a more "ad hoc" nature? By that I mean as a separate popup dialog attached to a button or menu item, perhaps.

(And that brings up the more fundamental - and OT - question of the hierarchy of XnView options. There are basic options that one changes rarely, and dynamic (?) options that one may change many times during an XnView session. Which are which?)
John