Use monitor profile file

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BigSerpent

Use monitor profile file

Post by BigSerpent »

I'd like XnView to be able to use monitor profile *.icm file while showing images.
Clo
XnThusiast

It might do…

Post by Clo »

:) Hello! Welcome aboard !

• Here, I've such files as :
is330.icm
kodak_dc.icm
sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
in Windows\System32\…

• I suppose that XnView looks at the one in red above (at least) already, since i.e. you can't use the “Drop Shadow” effect when you have a 16-bit colour-depth for the screen (it's greyed), while it works with a 32-bit colour depth display…

- Please, explain us for which (mis)feature you think that XnView doesn't take care of these profiles enough ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
BigSerpent

Monitor profile

Post by BigSerpent »

Thank you for the acceptance :)

The profile you mentioned is a standard sRGB profile, not specific to my particular device. I've made a profile with LProf by myself and put it there with other name. When I edit my photos with Gimp 2.3.14 and this profile, they seem looking correct.
Should I rename my profile to make it usable by XnView? It is not sRGB though, it is device-specific.

The roots of the problem lay in the fact I often print my photos in a lab. So I need them to look exactly the same and this is provided with the profile. When I tried to make Windows XP using my monitor profile it accepted it but the view hadn't changed. So I have to set monitor profile in GIMP for editing and in a viewer for browsing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Monitor profile

Post by xnview »

BigSerpent wrote:Thank you for the acceptance :)

The profile you mentioned is a standard sRGB profile, not specific to my particular device. I've made a profile with LProf by myself and put it there with other name. When I edit my photos with Gimp 2.3.14 and this profile, they seem looking correct.
Should I rename my profile to make it usable by XnView? It is not sRGB though, it is device-specific.
XnView doesn't use screen profile...
Pierre.
BigSerpent

monitor profile

Post by BigSerpent »

Could it be changed in the future? LProf allows to obtain rather accurate monitor profile without additional prints, only software is used.
ApertureNine

Post by ApertureNine »

XNView HAVE to support monitor profiles. After calibrating my screen and enjoying the benefits in Photoshop, I suddenly noticed that XNView did not display my images correctly. The ICC profile support is painstakingly slow, but it is not enough. Monitor profile support has to follow.

I can't use XNView anymore because of that. Had to switch to ACDSee Pro.

There are tons of image viewers out there, and yet only a few supports real image viewing by both supporting ICC profiles and monitor profiles. Calibrators such as Spyder2Express is mainstream equipment now, so support for monitor profiles in image viewers is mandatory now.

Thanks for a great program.
max gabler

Post by max gabler »

ApertureNine wrote:XNView HAVE to support monitor profiles. After calibrating my screen and enjoying the benefits in Photoshop, I suddenly noticed that XNView did not display my images correctly. The ICC profile support is painstakingly slow, but it is not enough. Monitor profile support has to follow.

There are tons of image viewers out there, and yet only a few supports real image viewing by both supporting ICC profiles and monitor profiles. Calibrators such as Spyder2Express is mainstream equipment now, so support for monitor profiles in image viewers is mandatory now.

I can only vote seriously for this feature

- with the use of the standard monitor profile xnview would be everything I look for

- without it its not usable

I can only suggest to implement this feature befor doing anything else on the program or all serious phtographic users will cease to use it.

Looking forward to finally see the use of the profile imlemented

THX in advance
mrQQ

Post by mrQQ »

any update on this?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I'll add the ouput icc profile support.
If oyu are interested, i can send a test version, send me your email by PM
Pierre.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Added in Version 1.93.6 from May 1, 2008.

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15011

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
drwest

Post by drwest »

How to activate the usage of monitor profile with XnView 1.93.6 (win32) ?

My monitor is calibrated and the profile loaded into windows xp, when I display a picture with the windows viewer, the colour aren't good, in photoshop, good colour, and in XnViewer: the same as windows viewer, so not using the monitor profile.

I didn't any options menu for that (also tried the XnViewer MP but still the same)
Danny

Post by Danny »

drwest wrote:How to activate the usage of monitor profile with XnView 1.93.6 (win32) ?

My monitor is calibrated and the profile loaded into windows xp, when I display a picture with the windows viewer, the colour aren't good, in photoshop, good colour, and in XnViewer: the same as windows viewer, so not using the monitor profile.

I didn't any options menu for that (also tried the XnViewer MP but still the same)
Photoshop may use another profile. Have you checked your PS CM-Settings?
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
drwest

Post by drwest »

Photoshop has the default settings, didn't change it. I have a wide gamut Dell monitor, so without my screen icc profile the colour are too much saturate, specially the skin colour.
- monitor icc profile activated in windows: (display>colour settings)
photoshop(or lightroom) colour ok / windows viewer or XnView too much saturation
- monitor icc profile off:
too much saturation for all software
uryan

Post by uryan »

Thanks for this feature. I just got a new wide gamut monitor, and so really needed it.
One issue I am having is, while tagged images are looking great, untagged images are still being shown in the monitors native colour space. Would it be possible to have an option to treat untagged files as sRGB, since that's what they most likely are.
programmalon

I agree ...

Post by programmalon »

max gabler wrote:
ApertureNine wrote:XNView HAVE to support monitor profiles. After calibrating my screen and enjoying the benefits in Photoshop, I suddenly noticed that XNView did not display my images correctly. The ICC profile support is painstakingly slow, but it is not enough. Monitor profile support has to follow.

I can only vote seriously for this feature

- with the use of the standard monitor profile xnview would be everything I look for

- without it its not usable

I can only suggest to implement this feature befor doing anything else on the program or all serious phtographic users will cease to use it.

Looking forward to finally see the use of the profile imlemented

THX in advance

I have to agree - this is a MUST HAVE feature for the program. I love XnView, but having recently calibrated my monitor and seeing a huge difference, it is quite a disappointment not to be able to use the calibrated settings in the monitor profile from XnView.