Moving - infinite moving and numpad hotkeys

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Moving - infinite moving and numpad hotkeys

Post by Dreamer »

Suggestion #1 - infinite moving of a mouse/image, even if it reaches the edge of the screen

Already implemented

Suggestion #2 - numpad hotkeys - 2, 4, 6, 8 for move of an image, 5 for centre - there are already hotkeys /, *, -, +, Enter and some users use arrows (not numpad) for switching images so I think it would be useful, and there are more opportunities...
Last edited by Dreamer on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Moving - infinite moving and numpad hotkeys

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Suggestion #1 - infinite moving of a mouse/image, even if it reaches the edge of the screen
Could you explain this feature?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Suggestion #1 - infinite moving of a mouse/image, even if it reaches the edge of the screen
Could you explain this feature?
If I move enlarged image and mouse cursor reaches the edge of the screen, I must release a mouse button, move a cursor away from the edge, press a mouse button again and then I can continue to move...

With this feature it would be possible to move an image even if I reach the edge of the screen with a mouse cursor.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Good suggestion. Maybe the cursor could be fixed while the image directly follow the mouse movements (=> infinite).
(rather than the hand symbol, something like a 8-directions star would be better, then...)

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier_G wrote:Maybe the cursor could be fixed while the image directly follow the mouse movements (=> infinite)
I agree.
Lostclown

Post by Lostclown »

I am not sure I understand you correctly.
Do you mean when dragging image with right mouse button?
Dreamer wrote:Suggestion #2 - numpad hotkeys - 2, 4, 6, 8 for move of an image, 5 for centre - there are already hotkeys /, *, -, +, Enter and some users use arrows (not numpad) for switching images so I think it would be useful, and there are more opportunities...

Maybe also hotkeys 1, 3, 7, 9 for showing appropriate corner...
I find this to be a very good idea.

Want to add a comment about the arrow keys.
Up/Down currently scrolls image up/down which I find normal.
Left/Right goes to previous/next image (like PgUp/PgDn) but not scroll left/right which I would find normal.

Regards,
Lostclown
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Lostclown wrote:
I am not sure I understand you correctly.
Do you mean when dragging image with right mouse button?
Yes, read my post above please.
Lostclown wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Suggestion #2 (See above...)
I find this to be a very good idea.
Thank you :D
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Still missing... (#1 & #2)
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I agree with this request.

I build panoramas of many smaller images. A typical panorama is 5000x14000 pixels. Zooming to life size and panning the image with the mouse is an exercise in forearm movement.
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Another approach would be an optional floating "navigator" containing a small facsimile of the viewed image that responded to mouse clicks and movements within its confines and scrolled the main image accordingly. Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Corel PhotoPaint all have such navigators. I use them constantly when scrolling my monster panoramas in those tools.
John
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Suggestion #2 - numpad hotkeys - 2, 4, 6, 8 for move of an image, 5 for centre
Good ideas.

But I would suggest:

.w................8
asd.....or....456.....- for movements

..x................2.......- for center

Much more ergonomic for quick finger response that way. Similar concept to how movement for most computer games are handled. Best if the WASD are used for more ergomically using the left arm while the right is on the mouse. :idea:
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

TsunamiZ wrote:
Suggestion #2 - numpad hotkeys - 2, 4, 6, 8 for move of an image, 5 for centre
Good ideas.

But I would suggest:

.w................8
asd.....or....456.....- for movements

..x................2.......- for center

Much more ergonomic for quick finger response that way. Similar concept to how movement for most computer games are handled. Best if the WASD are used for more ergomically using the left arm while the right is on the mouse. :idea:
WASD is not possible, A and D keys are reserved.

8456+2 - I like it, it would be more handy, but there are arrows on keyboards, down on 2, so it would be a bit confusing, but still better IMO, what other people think about it?
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

I think ergonomics and use efficiency is more important. And the concept of 8456 is fairly common and easy to grasp these days with people playing computer games. And when it comes down to use, they'll be thankful for it. :wink:

Post by Guest »

Dreamer wrote:Suggestion #2 - numpad hotkeys - 2, 4, 6, 8 for move of an image, 5 for centre - there are already hotkeys /, *, -, +, Enter and some users use arrows (not numpad) for switching images so I think it would be useful, and there are more opportunities...

Maybe also hotkeys 1, 3, 7, 9 for showing appropriate corner...
I would *really* like to see this feature implemented. I use XnView to check digital photos I've taken for out-of-focus areas, dirt on the lens (ugh, I took half a dozen shots on the weekend without noticing I'd got spray from waves on the bottom of the lens), and having to use the mouse to pan around the image is quite painful. Being able to use either the arrow keys (which currently are a somewhat redundant overlap with page up/down, which do the same thing) or the numeric keypad to pan around would be very helpful.

Instead of using 1, 3, 7, 9 to perform an absolute move to a corner of the image, it seems more logical to have them perform a diagonal move to match the behaviour of the 2, 4, 6, 8 keys. An additional problem if you make the odd-numbered keys move all the way to the corner of the image means that accidentally hitting one of them when you're going for an even-numbered key would lose your position on the image.

I would *really* like to have keyboard-based image panning available, it'd make checking large images so much easier...