Annoying copy-paste behaviour

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

Annoying copy-paste behaviour

Post by Troken »

Hi,

1. Browse in XnView and select some images and cut them (Ctrl+X)
2. Browse to another folder (containing subfolders) and paste the images (Ctrl+V)
3. The images are pasted into the first of the subfolders, not the currently open folder. Confusing, first 10 times I thought I "lost" my files.

Intuitively the images should be pasted into the currently open folder. How can this be prevented? XnViews behaviour is not as the "standard" Windows behaviour. I understand it is due to XnView selecting the first item in the browser window, which often can be a subfolder.

My suggestion is: when browsning, don't autoselect the first file or folder in browserwindow. Instead, let all be unselected.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Annoying copy-paste behaviour

Post by xnview »

Was a request :-(

* Paste on folder - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14888
Pierre.
Troken

Re: Annoying copy-paste behaviour

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:Was a request :-(

* Paste on folder - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14888
It is not the same thing. In topic 14888 the problem was that the files would not be copied INTO the selected folder. You have corrected it. So far so good.

Now, If I (1) copy (or cut) some files, and
(2) browse to another folder (WITHOUT selecting a folder) then
(3) paste, I want the files to be pasted into the current folder. BUT, instead XnView has already selected a subfolder and thus the files are pasted INTO this subfolder. So it seems that the files disappear (but are in fact pasted inot the subfoder)!

Hm... this is a little hard to explain I recon, did you understand?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Confirmed! It's a very danger bug!!! :bugconfirmed:

To reproduce:

- go to folder A
- select any file
- press ctrl+x
- go to another folder (B)
- select any subfolder (C)
- press ctrl+v to paste the file to folder B
= the file is in folder C instead of B! :bugconfirmed:

Moved to Bug Reports.
Dreamer
Troken

Post by Troken »

Dreamer wrote:Confirmed! It's a very danger bug!!! :bugconfirmed:

To reproduce:

- go to folder A
- select any file
- press ctrl+x
- go to another folder (B)
- select any subfolder (C)
- press ctrl+v to paste the file to folder B
= the file is in folder C instead of B! :bugconfirmed:

Moved to Bug Reports.
Thank you Dreamer for sorting it out, but there is one point that is not what I mean. I'll use your explanation, with fat style to mark the change:

1. Go to folder A
2. Select any file
3. Press ctrl + x
4. Go to another folder (B). This must contain a subfolder (C).
5. Do not select any subfolder (C). Just proceed to 6.
6. Press ctrl + v to paste the file to folder B.
= The file is in folder C instead of B!

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

OK, I'm using also [..] item, it works good with it... Anyway, it's a very danger bug IMO.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, so the problem is that the first item (folder) is selected when you change the current folder.
But how to fix it?? An option to not select first item? :-(
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:Ok, so the problem is that the first item (folder) is selected when you change the current folder.
But how to fix it?? An option to not select first item? :-(
I quote myself in the very first post:
Troken wrote:My suggestion is: when browsning, don't autoselect the first file or folder in browserwindow. Instead, let all be unselected.
This way the behaviour will be just like copy-pasting in ordinary Windows folders. When you navigate through folders in Windows, you don't get any first item selected. So why is this in XnView? The obvious answer is probably that you want to display an image a.s.a.p., but since it often are other files/folders, there is no point in this imho. I'm voting for: no selection of first item (as default). The result will be problem-free copy-pasting.

If there is a need, maybe an option:
"Autoselect first item in folder [ ]"

I can simply not see the need for selecting the first item, but plz fill me in on this if I am wrong.

All above is my thoughts only so I'll live with it if there's an opinion against. :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

One thing, how do you change the folder?
XnView select only the subfolder if you select '..' or Up in the thumbnails view
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:Ok, so the problem is that the first item (folder) is selected when you change the current folder.
This is not the problem (at least for me, since I'm using [..] item), navigation is better with this behavior.

The problem is that if any (sub)folder is selected and I use Ctrl+V shortcut, the file(s) is pasted to that (sub)folder, not to the current folder - it's a (very danger) bug IMO! Perhaps it's a new feature, but it's not a standard Windows/Explorer behavior (and I don't know any other program with such a behavior), so it should be possible to disable it and it should be disabled by default IMO.
Dreamer
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:One thing, how do you change the folder?
XnView select only the subfolder if you select '..' or Up in the thumbnails view
I change folders by double click or the navigating buttons above in the thumbs pane. Nothing special.

I do not use [..] item.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, so i think that an option to paste in selected subfolder is better
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14888

So something like 'Paste on selected folder in thumbnail view'?
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:Ok, so i think that an option to paste in selected subfolder is better
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14888

So something like 'Paste on selected folder in thumbnail view'?
No, paste on selected folder should always work imo. This is standard behaviour and the solution for the above mentioned thread was good! The problem is more that XnView selects a item without user interaction. I'm not to fond of that. So I rather have "Auto select first item in thumbnail view".

With your suggestion "Paste on selected folder in thumnail view", XnView will get an option for an otherwise normal behaviour. So the default would be "Do not paste on selected folder ..."? Seems like a confusing solution.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote: No, paste on selected folder should always work imo. This is standard behaviour and the solution for the above mentioned thread was good! The problem is more that XnView selects a item without user interaction. I'm not to fond of that. So I rather have "Auto select first item in thumbnail view".
Hum, for me subfolder selected when you go to the parent is a normal behaviour too :-)
So perhaps an option like "Select previous folder in thumbnail view" will be the solution
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

xnview wrote:
Troken wrote: No, paste on selected folder should always work imo. This is standard behaviour and the solution for the above mentioned thread was good! The problem is more that XnView selects a item without user interaction. I'm not to fond of that. So I rather have "Auto select first item in thumbnail view".
Hum, for me subfolder selected when you go to the parent is a normal behaviour too :-)
So perhaps an option like "Select previous folder in thumbnail view" will be the solution
I can only speak for behaviour in WinXP sp2, don't know about older windows or Vista. But anyway, maybe that option is a good solution. Just to be clear: default is no selected item then?