Suggestion> Copy To and Move To Favourites

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckit
XnThusiast

Suggestion> Copy To and Move To Favourites

Post by ckit »

I needed a faster way of moving files around and thought of a new way to do it while using a feature that already exists - favourites.

Right-click on files -> Copy To Favourites -> <folder name1> or <folder path>
Right-click on files -> Copy To Favourites -> <folder name2> or <folder path>

Right-click on files -> Move To Favourites -> <folder name1> or <folder path>
Right-click on files -> Move To Favourites -> <folder name2> or <folder path>
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
helmut

Re: Suggestion -> Copy To and Move To Favourites

Post by helmut »

ckit,
ckit wrote:I needed a faster way of moving files around and thought of a new way to do it while using a feature that already exists - favourites.

I like your idea, but perhaps we could achieve what you need in a different way:

Menu 'Edit' or context menu in browser:

Code: Select all

Copy To > Select folder...   Alt+C
          <Recent folder 1>
          <Recent folder 2>

Move To > Select folder...    Alt+M
          <Recent folder 1>
          <Recent folder 2>
The context menu has many entries, already. This solution would not increase the number of menu items, but still give you a more direct access to the favourites. The only thing that is not so nice is that you have to select a submenu, and selecting submenus needs some extra coordination & time when using the mouse.

What do you think?
Last edited by helmut on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

helmut wrote:Dreamer,
ckit wrote:I needed a faster way of moving files around and thought of a new way to do it while using a feature that already exists - favourites.

I like your idea, but perhaps we could achieve what you need in a different way:

Menu 'Edit' or context menu in browser:

Code: Select all

Copy To > Select folder...   Alt+C
          <Recent folder 1>
          <Recent folder 2>

Move To > Select folder...    Alt+M
          <Recent folder 1>
          <Recent folder 2>
The context menu has many entries, already. This solution would not increase the number of menu items, but still give you a more direct access to the favourites. The only thing that is not so nice is that you have to select a submenu, and selecting submenus needs some extra coordination & time when using the mouse.

What do you think?
Yes but then XnView would copy what IrfanView has already done. Having said that I must agree that the context menu is already fairly crowd as it is.

Being able to select from 10 folders is great as long as you don't remove the Select Folder option (current system) as well. Thats where IrfanView went wrong.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckit,
ckit wrote:...
Being able to select from 10 folders is great as long as you don't remove the Select Folder option (current system) as well. Thats where IrfanView went wrong.
Didn't know that IrfanView has this, already. The "Select folder..." is absolutely necessary, since you still want to be able to select a folder. You might not find the appropriate directory amongst the recent dirs, so you can immediately select "Select folder.." and select it manually. Think that's good.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:ckit,
ckit wrote:...
Didn't know that IrfanView has this, already. The "Select folder..." is absolutely necessary, since you still want to be able to select a folder. You might not find the appropriate directory amongst the recent dirs, so you can immediately select "Select folder.." and select it manually. Think that's good.
Yes, i'll have in previous version, such thing but the author of irf****32 ask me to remove this feature :-(, we must find how to make this dialog not similar to the other *****32 software.
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

You're joking right?

Try my original idea of hooking into the Favourites.
This would be different to IrfanView.

Besides you really think the author of IrfanView which is only shareware for business would sue you? I'd like to see him try.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:Yes, i'll have in previous version, such thing but the author of irf****32 ask me to remove this feature :-(, we must find how to make this dialog not similar to the other *****32 software.
This "Copy To" or "Move To" menu is ckit's and my idea, independant of IrfanView. Also, with "Select folder" it will be different. And man, we are speaking of a menu! So I think you should just add it, given that we all think that it is useful.

Adding more menu items should be avoided, we should rather whether we could get rid of some of the current, less important ones. And we should sort the items in the context menu in a reasonable way, currently it is a little bit messy.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:Yes, i'll have in previous version, such thing but the author of irf****32 ask me to remove this feature :-(, we must find how to make this dialog not similar to the other *****32 software.
This "Copy To" or "Move To" menu is ckit's and my idea, independant of IrfanView. Also, with "Select folder" it will be different. And man, we are speaking of a menu! So I think you should just add it, given that we all think that it is useful.
Adding more menu items should be avoided, we should rather whether we could get rid of some of the current, less important ones. And we should sort the items in the context menu in a reasonable way, currently it is a little bit messy.
Yes right. But i'm not sure new menu item in context menu or context menu will be good.... I think that the Copy/Move to dialog can be enhanced.... But how??
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

A dropdown list of favourites in the Copy/Move to dialog should do the trick.
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckit wrote:A dropdown list of favourites in the Copy/Move to dialog should do the trick.
In the Copy/Move dialog of version 1.74 we have a drop down list with most recent directories, already. Is this not what you mean?
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

No MRD's can't be managed properly, where as Favourites can.
Actually I hate MRU's and MRD's with a passion.

I'm talking about a second dropdown list that uses the same favourites as the Browser in XnView.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckit wrote:No MRD's can't be managed properly, where as Favourites can.
Actually I hate MRU's and MRD's with a passion.

I'm talking about a second dropdown list that uses the same favourites as the Browser in XnView.
Ok, i'll add a dropdown list for favorites in copy/move dialog. A good enhancement.
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

This is silly :shock: - Now I know why you "star" him always...
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Indeed, I don't see why Irfan is worried this is a small feature really.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
This is silly :shock: - Now I know why you "star" him always...
I can't talk about him more :-(
Pierre.