XnView Media Detector

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Post by Guest »

Citation:

Just four minor things: First, if on the CF card are pictures taken on different days and I want the media detector to create a new folder for each day, it keeps asking me "Create a new folder?" for each single day. It would be great if I could say "Yes, and don't ask again". Same thing with the question "Launch XnView" when downloading is complete - it would be handy if I could say "Yes" for all times coming.

??? I have no such dialog!
Strange. I've just checked: The "Create new folder?"-dialog didn't appear now, but the "Browse the pictures in XnView Deluxe?"-dialog did. I use Windows 2000 and the XnView Media Detector 1.6.1.
Citation:

It would also be great if XnView opened directly the folders with the new files then. At the moment, if I have taken 1000 pictures, raw + jpg, I have klick "yes" after downloading to launch XnView, then navigate to the new folders and wait until the thumbs are created which can take some time, especially with raws. It would be great if XnView directly opened the new files and started to create the thumbs. I would just insert the CF card, start downloading, and come back half an hour later when everything's done.

So something like 'don't show again' in the dialog?
When the "Browse the pictures in XnView Deluxe?"-dialog appears it would be great if I could answer "yes" and check "don't show again" in the dialog. Then XnView should open and show all pictures just downloaded (even if they were downloaded to different folders). Thus XnView could directly build all the thumbnails. At the moment I have to navigate to the new folders and wait for the thumbnails being built (which takes half a second or so for each raw file -- a bit annoying after a while...)
:wink:

Another thing: The media detector starts XnView on my Windows 2000-System at work without a problem. On my Windows XP System at home this doesn't work: After downloading I have to start XnView manually. Any idea why?

Best wishes
Frank
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote: Another thing: The media detector starts XnView on my Windows 2000-System at work without a problem. On my Windows XP System at home this doesn't work: After downloading I have to start XnView manually. Any idea why?
You have "Media detector" & xnview in the same folder?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

... now I have - and it works :-)
Thanx
Frank
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

A new version is uploaded
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Can you please update the icon so that it works properly with XnView's toolbars (currently no alpha support?)
The background shouldn't be black.

AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckit wrote:Can you please update the icon so that it works properly with XnView's toolbars (currently no alpha support?)
The background shouldn't be black.
You have only added the icon from XnView Medai Detector in toolbar??
Pierre.
Johan_et_Pirlouit

Post by Johan_et_Pirlouit »

Hi Pierre,

1. I run XnView 1.93.4 on Win XP SP2, XnView recognize my Canon Powershot A630 as a WIA device (and everything works well) but Media Detector (1.6.1) doesn't "see" it at all :( .. Is it normal ? Or have I done something wrong : in the XnView settings, I did not check the "Add XnView as applications for USB events" option and I run Media Detector manually from the XnView main menu.

I try to stop using the Canon's ZoomBrowser EX (I use that only for its CameraWindow plugin !) because of its "heavy and strange" interface (imho) and Media Detector seems to be a nice alternative for what I need (and it is now part of XnView !).

2. Media Detector is currently (MD 1.6.1) in a non-resizable window.. Is it planned for the window to be resizable ?

Thanx and regards,

Johan
Mes propos n'engageant que moi, le Webmaster ne saurait en être tenu pour responsable..
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Johan_et_Pirlouit wrote:1. I run XnView 1.93.4 on Win XP SP2, XnView recognize my Canon Powershot A630 as a WIA device (and everything works well) but Media Detector (1.6.1) doesn't "see" it at all :( .. Is it normal ? Or have I done something wrong : in the XnView settings, I did not check the "Add XnView as applications for USB events" option and I run Media Detector manually from the XnView main menu.
Currently MediaDetector doesn't use WIA device
2. Media Detector is currently (MD 1.6.1) in a non-resizable window.. Is it planned for the window to be resizable ?
yes
Pierre.
Johan_et_Pirlouit

Post by Johan_et_Pirlouit »

xnview wrote:
Johan_et_Pirlouit wrote:1. I run XnView 1.93.4 on Win XP SP2, XnView recognize my Canon Powershot A630 as a WIA device (and everything works well) but Media Detector (1.6.1) doesn't "see" it at all :( .. Is it normal ? Or have I done something wrong : in the XnView settings, I did not check the "Add XnView as applications for USB events" option and I run Media Detector manually from the XnView main menu.
Currently MediaDetector doesn't use WIA device
Ok, it is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.. Maybe you have planned something in that way for your next XnView generation, XnView MP (a full integration of the Media Detector into XnView ?)..
xnview wrote:
Johan_et_Pirlouit wrote:2. Media Detector is currently (MD 1.6.1) in a non-resizable window.. Is it planned for the window to be resizable ?
yes
Cool... :D
Mes propos n'engageant que moi, le Webmaster ne saurait en être tenu pour responsable..
pluncake

Post by pluncake »

there is update?

New ideas

Post by Guest »

Hello!

I've just discovered the MediaDetector and it seems to be what I've been looking for.

But there are some things that I'd like to see in a future release. Maybe someone else also finds them useful...

1) Don't limit to image files. Please also import the videos (.mov, ...).

2) Different path and filename patterns for each filetype.
For photos I use "<Date>" but this won't work for videos (or other files without EXIF). So I'd need to define the path and file name for them different, e.g. the files creation timestamp.

3) A fallback if a file has no EXIF for example from "<Date>" to the files timestamp. This would be useful in "Multi rename" too.

4) (Optionally) show the resulting filename for each picture.

5) "Turn left" and "Turn right" arrows in the upper left/right corners for each picture (similar to the current checkbox) to easily flip images 90% decrees left/right.

Regards,
Andreas
martin10018

Re: New ideas

Post by martin10018 »

Anonymous wrote:But there are some things that I'd like to see in a future release. Maybe someone else also finds them useful...

For photos I use "<Date>" but this won't work for videos (or other files without EXIF). So I'd need to define the path and file name for them different, e.g. the files creation timestamp.

3) A fallback if a file has no EXIF for example from "<Date>" to the files timestamp. This would be useful in "Multi rename" too.

5) "Turn left" and "Turn right" arrows in the upper left/right corners for each picture (similar to the current checkbox) to easily flip images 90% decrees left/right.

Regards,
Andreas
Yep, I second all that. Then I can finally ditch cam2pc, which I use only because of the downloader.
amair

Post by amair »

Hi,
martin10018 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:But there are some things that I'd like to see in a future release. Maybe someone else also finds them useful...

Regards,
Andreas
Yep, I second all that. Then I can finally ditch cam2pc, which I use only because of the downloader.
Thanks. But can we have a comment on the developers on this?

Regards,
Andreas
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

amair wrote: Thanks. But can we have a comment on the developers on this?
I'll reply asap, sorry
Pierre.
gclunsf

Post by gclunsf »

Hi, Pierre. I wanted to know if any more thought has been given to having Media Detector and XnView use the same IPTC templates rather than having them separate. Back on Dec 10, 2007 an anonymous user posted the following:
Third, it would be nice if I could use the IPTC templates I create in the media detector within XnView also. At the moment you can load IPTC templates from XnView, but I don't know where the media detector has saved the ones I've already created there. Also it would be nice if I could choose the template I want in a drop-down-menu. It works like this in the media detector now, but not within XnView itself.
You answered with the following:
Currently MediaDetector don't use the same format for IPTC template, and save them in registry
At the very least I would really like to see one set of IPTC templates used for both XnView and Media Detector. Personally, I prefer the IPTC templates be the ones XnView uses today but I see no reason it can't be the other way around. I just want to have to maintain only one set of IPTC templates. I feel the same way about the categories field if it is being handled separately between XnView and Media Detector.

I have seen other posts in this thread suggesting Media Detector be included as part of XnView rather than remaining a separate component. I also wholeheartedly support that as I feel that might go a long way toward resolving issues where XnView does things one way and Media Detector does the same things a different way.

Like many others I really appreciate your work on this.
Regards,
George Lunsford

XnView 1.98.8
Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Win Vista Home Premium SP1, WinXP Pro SP3