Crash with big avi

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Cyrilllle wrote:Hi Picviewer. So does it work now ??? Cyrilllle
No. I have no problem to view those (any) avis with any other program.

Update:

With 1.93.4 I have the original error with any kind of file size. Even 5 MB - crash. See above. This happens ONLY in 2 monitor browser left fullscreen right mode AND if the browser shows jpgs and avis (Filter: all). If I set the filter to only show avis, then activate F11, these will display on the right fullscreen monitor correctly!

It seems as if the change from jpg to avi causes the crash in this mode!

If I use just one monitor all the avis will work and cause no problem no matter what I do.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Another update:

I am now on my 5th computer showing the exact same behaviour. This one is a Dell notebook and again totally different to the others, with Vista 32 as OS and (meanwhile) 1.952.

The crash happens only in 2 monitor browser left / fullscreen right mode, AND if the browser shows jpgs and avis (Filter: all). If I set the filter to only show avis, then activate F11, these will display on the right fullscreen monitor correctly. Otherwise the right monitor just stays black.

The change from jpg to avi causes the crash in this mode.

I can't believe that this is not reproducable. Pierre, want to send me a debug version that I could monitor with DebugView?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:I can't believe that this is not reproducable. Pierre, want to send me a debug version that I could monitor with DebugView?
A debug version will not help, if i have not the same codec for example, the problem can be different
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

xnview wrote:
pic_viewer wrote:I can't believe that this is not reproducable. Pierre, want to send me a debug version that I could monitor with DebugView?
A debug version will not help, if i have not the same codec for example, the problem can be different
I disagree. A debug version would show you at what point of loading what codec XnView crashes.

Apart from that: how can I tell you which codec XnView uses tp play my avi files?
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

pic_viewer wrote:how can I tell you which codec XnView uses to play my avi files?
Anyone?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote: The crash happens only in 2 monitor browser left / fullscreen right mode, AND if the browser shows jpgs and avis (Filter: all). If I set the filter to only show avis, then activate F11, these will display on the right fullscreen monitor correctly. Otherwise the right monitor just stays black.
Ok, i can reproduce the black screen on avi, but not the crash. On fullscreen, you use previous/next file?
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

xnview wrote:Ok, i can reproduce the black screen on avi, but not the crash. On fullscreen, you use previous/next file?
Not sure what you mean. The cursor is in the left browser window. I use arrow left/arrow right on the keyboard to navigate from thumbnail to thumbnail. The selected tumbnail is shown on the right monitor as full screen pic.

Once I hit an avi the right monitor just stays dark. I change to the next or former jpg. Sometimes one or two or three pics are shown before XnView then chrashes, sometimes it crashes directly after the avi.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Unfortunately 1.953 doesn't change anything on ym system.

So back to my question: how to find out which codec XnView uses for avi playback?
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Bump.

And I will bump this forever, because it is the only real problem that I have with XnView at this time.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:Unfortunately 1.953 doesn't change anything on ym system.
You have always the black screen on the second monitor??
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

xnview wrote:
pic_viewer wrote:Unfortunately 1.953 doesn't change anything on my system.
In the setup described above changing from jpg to avi the avi will never be shown on my second monitor, instead the screen stays black and XnView crashes when trying to continue.

As already explained several times doing the same with filter set to Videos it works. It's the change from jpg to avi that triggers the problem.

Re-checking this with 1.953 I found another bug. Setting filter to Videos, and browsing into a directory with several of them, then hit F11, the video is shown on the right monitor. If I now change to the next avi by the arrow keys the video does not start. The player stays in the right monitor but does nothing and can not be started. The only way to continue is to hit F11 two times (exit full screen, start full screen).
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Deleted double post.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:
xnview wrote:
pic_viewer wrote:Unfortunately 1.953 doesn't change anything on my system.
In the setup described above changing from jpg to avi the avi will never be shown on my second monitor, instead the screen stays black and XnView crashes when trying to continue.
Which OS do you have?
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

xnview wrote:Which OS do you have?
XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista 32 Home Premium.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:
xnview wrote:Which OS do you have?
XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista 32 Home Premium.
I can't reproduce on my XP SP2, could you send me your xnview.ini?
Pierre.