Capture Screen issues

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Koogle

Capture Screen issues

Post by Koogle »

I don't know why I have lived with this buggyness without mentioning it on here way way way earlier.. but it seems its never been fixed and I've always had this issue..

the ISSUE being that when I open Xnview and goto enable the screencapturing, soon as I have selected my captuing options and press [OK] xnview minimizes.. thats all good.. but ALWAYS on the first setup no matter if the option in method is delay or hotkey.. it will NEVER take a screencapture.. Until I actually go back to open the Xnview window.. then say minimize it and use the hotkey.. or delay.. it really pisses me off..

why can't it just work the first time, why do I always have to go bring xnview back into view before it will succesfully take a screencapture.

---------------

Other issue is that it would be nicer to have a faster way of turning Xnview screencaptuing on.. the option to capture doesn't even have a hotkey assigned to its dialog.. let alone a direct way of just turning capturing on, and having xnview just use the last settings that dialog was saved with.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Handling of screen capturing is far from being optimal and there had been many discussions before, including a post from yourself:
Capturing issues

@Mr. Librarian: Might I engage your services?
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

wow lol.. I didn't even remember I had already made a post about it before..

Daaaamn, its been a while.

seriously a fix?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Thanks for the links, Mr. Librarian. :)
This is more or less implemented.

Workaround from the FAQ.

Small guide for the capture command line options

Advantages of this solution:

- you don't have to start xnview
- you don't even need to activate the capture option
- it's easier with hotkeyp, but it's not required
- you can make screenshots with a single key
- after the capture you can choose to open the image in xnview, or save it to your hard drive and exit xnview automatically, then it's ready for another capture
Dreamer
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

well hmm not really much of solution, might aswel just use the Printscreen key

actually speaking of the Printscreen key.. its not working on my XP install -weird

and then even if you open xnview.. you can't even just ctrl+v paste in a image.. even if it was image data copied from another app/browser etc

surely xnview should be able take in image data from clipboard memory.. just have it open a new file tab much in the same way it creates a image tab when you finally get it screencapturing.

well i'm off to find out why my printscreen key ain't working.
Clo
XnThusiast

Thoughts----

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Koogle

:) Hello !
…well i'm off to find out why my printscreen key ain't working.
• Just some thoughts about this :
1. The key itself is damaged… >> Try another keyboard…
2. It's "stollen" by some other application when it's running. For instance, IcoFx does so…
3. It's also stollen¦locked by another app. running in the BG permanently…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

"The key itself is damaged… >> Try another keyboard… " lol :D nah i'm pretty sure the key works..

anyway no its a very weird issue.. it seems like its tied in the directx stuff... suppesdly you need directx.cpl installed, and then you need to enable printscreen support...
When using Windows XP the built-in screenshot feature doesn't work as expected. But you can fix that by installing MS DirectX control Panel. Unzip on c:\windows\system32 folder to extract directx.cpl file. Click on that to open and go to DirectDraw to enable"PrintScreen". Exit the tool and now you should able to take Screenshots using the Print Screen key on your keyboard
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/M ... -5384.html

well anyway.. installed that version ... I did run the directx.cpl from the run cmd line.. and enabled the printscreen.. but even after a restart the printscreen key is still not taking a snapshot into memory so i can paste it into any... let alone any fancy alt+printscreen combo to get a just a screenshot a specific window and not the whole desktop.. useless..when did MS f_ck this sh/t up :( a key printscreen key that doesn't do what it always used to do :S weird

anyone know if the printscreen key works as it should on vista?

"2. It's "stollen" by some other application when it's running. For instance, IcoFx does so…
3. It's also stollen¦locked by another app. running in the BG permanently…
"
well I dunno.. but I seriusly doubt its in use by anything I'm running.. very minimal startup.. only thing that I can see screwing this is up is nvidia.. well known for screwing things up. i also have a geforce8800

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=di ... rintscreen
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Koogle wrote:anyone know if the printscreen key works as it should on vista?
Yes, it works good on Vista (32 bit, Home Premium, SP1), but don't use ctrl+v, but ctrl+shift+v in xnview! It works also in browser/viewer is closed completely.
Dreamer
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

Dreamer wrote:
Koogle wrote:anyone know if the printscreen key works as it should on vista?
Yes, it works good on Vista (32 bit, Home Premium, SP1), but don't use ctrl+v, but ctrl+shift+v in xnview! It works also in browser/viewer is closed completely.
hmm printscreen doesn't work at all for me in Fista... did you have to add that old directx cpl and enable that? not that, that worked for me in xpsp3 either..
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Capture Screen issues

Post by xnview »

Koogle wrote:the ISSUE being that when I open Xnview and goto enable the screencapturing, soon as I have selected my captuing options and press [OK] xnview minimizes.. thats all good.. but ALWAYS on the first setup no matter if the option in method is delay or hotkey.. it will NEVER take a screencapture.. Until I actually go back to open the Xnview window.. then say minimize it and use the hotkey.. or delay.. it really pisses me off..
The screen capture doesn't work the first time?? Which settings do you use?
Pierre.
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

start xnview > capture screen > OK... press f10... xnview captures nothing.. open xnview .. its created a new tab called "capture-1" but its empty... now when I goto make a screenshot the following captures work... but I think i've described this already.. anyway here on the most common settings i use.. but it doens't seem to make any difference first capture never works..

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Koogle wrote:start xnview > capture screen > OK... press f10... xnview captures nothing.. open xnview .. its created a new tab called "capture-1" but its empty... now when I goto make a screenshot the following captures work... but I think i've described this already.. anyway here on the most common settings i use.. but it doens't seem to make any difference first capture never works..
I've tried, and the first time i have a screenshot too.
If you change hotkey, always the problem?
Pierre.