Batch convert, Sequence convert, Batch rename... just 1?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Post by helmut »

Note: Post is copied from 'Batch processing' rather than 'Batch convert'?.

I like the idea of combining those three batch "thingies" while keeping them separately available and accessible via individual menu items. This will make things more flexible while providing the user an interface he/she is familiar with and will understand.

And I also like the idea of a tab "Input". This tab could be used whenever a function needs input files, e.g. Create Webpage, Create contact sheet, and so on. See discussion in topic 'Unified way for creating file list'.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think we should pickup and push this matter, again. Combining Sequence convert, Batch processing and Batch rename into one dialog with several tabs is appealing and logical. And the mysterious "Sequence convert" dialog (does anyone use it?) could disappear. By keeping the menu items "Batch Rename" and "Batch processing" and opening the appropriate tab the user interface basically remains the same.

There will be some details to be clarified to make it work smoothly. But I think this would be a good improvement in both flexibility and usability.
jsrobinson

Post by jsrobinson »

helmut wrote:I think we should pickup and push this matter, again. Combining Sequence convert, Batch processing and Batch rename into one dialog with several tabs is appealing and logical. And the mysterious "Sequence convert" dialog (does anyone use it?) could disappear. By keeping the menu items "Batch Rename" and "Batch processing" and opening the appropriate tab the user interface basically remains the same.

There will be some details to be clarified to make it work smoothly. But I think this would be a good improvement in both flexibility and usability.
I agree, this is perhaps one of the few things missing from XNView that would save me (even more) steps, time, and fingers :D

I've read through the rest of this discussion and think that adding the Batch Rename to the Transformations tab would do for now, but ultimately, the UI initially presented where the Input and Output were next to each other made the most sense (and of course, the output would include the Batch Rename facility)

Thank you for a great application! Besides my web browser and email, this is the most used application on my PC!
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Not sure if I hijack this thread or type something requested elsewhere.

I ONLY use the batch processing for size downconversion of my digicam pics. I was able to set up everything without a manual (hear hear...), and XnView remembers all output settings.

But why is the last used script not remembered? As I use just one it forces me to reselect the same script everytime I restart XnView... :-(