Missing DLL

Feedback and Comments on the new 1.96 Test version on Windows.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

RightPaddock

Missing DLL

Post by RightPaddock »

When I fire up XnView v1.96 I get this error message
  • This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem -- OK
I press OK and the application starts

Looks like an MS C++ library to me,

I have it in several other apps (Avira AntVir, Genie Backup, MS Expression Media etc), they are each 499,712 bytes long and they are all version 7.10.3077.0 - will one of those work.

I downloaded from FileHippo.

Cheers
Right Paddock
RightPaddock

Post by RightPaddock »

XnTriq wrote:forum search: "msvcp71" ....
I already did that search, there are multiple solutions to the same problem for different versions.

I think MS solved the DLL Hell problem with Side By Side - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376307.aspx. If developers (including MS) used it then I'd only have one copy of each version of this DLL that's needed.

I doubt that SxS has a role to play in this instance, as far as I can tell, out there in the wild there's only one version of this DLL running around, so it could be probably be dropped straight into the windows/System32 directory.

I copied the DLL from my Genie Backup program folder into the XNView 1.96 beta folder, the error no longer manifests, now I have 6 copies of the same thing. But at least I don't have .NET 3.5 as one poster suggested.

This appears to be a recurrent XNView product packaging issue.
Right Paddock
Jaff

Post by Jaff »

Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real, doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...