Which install dir under Linux?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Francois_C

Which install dir under Linux?

Post by Francois_C »

Thanks Pierre for the great job!
There are few good image viewers under Linux, Showimg is no longer maintained, and we missed Xnview. Just a little problem for me: I use Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2 and I copied the contents of the archive in /opt/
I modified the script like that:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/XnViewMP
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/XnViewMP/xnview
and put it in /bin/
Xnview works but I cannot get it to start in full screen when clicking an image (the option is checked), probably because of my script or my install dir. What should I do?
marsh
XnThusiast

Why not a user directory like xnviewqt

Post by marsh »

While waiting on a better answer, please look at my experiment running program from user directory with user permissions. I'd like to discover if anyone has been successful using it.
Launching alpha version from file manager
Francois_C

Re: Why not a user directory like xnviewqt

Post by Francois_C »

marsh wrote:While waiting on a better answer, please look at my experiment running program from user directory with user permissions. I'd like to discover if anyone has been successful using it.
Why not? I was about to try it when I came back to this topic.
With Windows version, when you type "xnview.exe <image name>", you get the full screen view directly. So I suppose it should work under Linux too. If it does not in the location I chose first, I think it should this way.
[Edited] Does not seem to work either: xnview.sh <image name> only opens the browser. Maybe I should copy the libs into the regular library dir.
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: Why not a user directory like xnviewqt

Post by marsh »

Francois_C wrote:
marsh wrote:While waiting on a better answer, please look at my experiment running program from user directory with user permissions. I'd like to discover if anyone has been successful using it.
Why not? I was about to try it when I came back to this topic.
With Windows version, when you type "xnview.exe <image name>", you get the full screen view directly. So I suppose it should work under Linux too. If it does not in the location I chose first, I think it should this way.
[Edited] Does not seem to work either: xnview.sh <image name> only opens the browser. Maybe I should copy the libs into the regular library dir.
Once files are placed in a path where OS searches for libraries or bin, the ".sh" file isn't needed.
rauwitt

Re: Which install dir under Linux?

Post by rauwitt »

Images are opened in fullscreen and normal view by Kubuntu 9.04 (Kde 4.2 in general) if
1) XnViewMP liberary files were copied to /usr/lib
2) xnview was copied to /usr/bin
3) image file properties in konqueror are set to xnview and "use external application".