DLL-Usage for Dummies

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

DLL-Usage for Dummies

Post by Peter2 »

Hello

I found a program cleaning up the "un/mis/re/registered dll stuff" here:
http://analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm

For me as amateur it sems rather powerful, but before I really use it and want to understand a little bit of the dll-stuff: registration, dependencies, hits, user-defined entries, ....

Is there somewhere a "DLL Tutorial for Dummies" which explains the basics of this issue?

Regards

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: DLL-Usage for Dummies

Post by XnTriq »

• Microsoft
    • Knowledge Base: What is a DLL?
      Describes what a DLL is and the various issues that occur when you use a DLL.
    • Sysinternals
      • ListDLLs
        List all the DLLs that are currently loaded, including where they are loaded and their version numbers. Version 2.0 prints the full path names of loaded modules.
  • Nir Sofer:
    • CurrProcess
      CurrProcess utility displays the list of all processes currently running on your system. For each process, you can view the list of all modules (DLL files) that the process loads into memory. for all processes and modules, additional useful information is also displayed: product name, version, company name, description of the file, the size of the file, and more.
      In addition, CurrProcess allows you to do the following actions: Kill a process, Dump memory of process into a text file, Create HTML report containing information about a process with the list of all modules that it loads into memory, Save the list of all running processes into text or HTML file, and more.
    • DLL Export Viewer
      Displays the list of all exported functions and their virtual memory addresses for the specified DLL files.
    • InjectedDLL
      InjectedDLL is a small utility that displays the list of DLLs that are automatically injected on every process in your system.
    • RegDllView
      View registered dll/ocx/exe files on your system and Register dll files from Explorer.
    • ShellExView
      The ShellExView utility displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable and enable each shell extension.
    • Windows 7 DLL File Information
      This site was built by scanning all DLL files located in system32 directory of Windows 7 release candidate and creating (with automatic script) a Web page for each DLL with all found infromation.
  • Steve Miller: Dependency Walker
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Thanks for the advices.

I'm already using the tools of Nirsoft (and CCleaner and AnalogX), but only for analysing and not for repairing.

Peter
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

I found an informative 16-page paper here:
http://www.rhwiii.info/pdfs/Introductio ... gistry.pdf

Regards

Peter2