XnShell text and logo in thumbnails

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

kx

XnShell text and logo in thumbnails

Post by kx »

Hello!

Thank you for 1.97 version. I've just installed it and found that image information in shell extension thumbnail previews starts with XnView logo and "XnShell: " text. It is unwanted feature however and previous versions look much more clear.

Could you make some option to turn this off and get old behaviour?
Last edited by kx on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnShell text and logo in thumbnails

Post by xnview »

It was a request, so i'll add an option
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I was the person that requested " Xnshell: " and apologize if you disagree with it visually on your menu. It's there to properly signify to the user that Xnview Shell Extension is 'there' and is the shell app that is giving you the thumbnail mcuh like I requested the 'About' information. :D

I agree for a user like him/her, an option to turn this off would be useful in the next update. But PLEASE Pierre, leave this on as default on installation.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
kx

Post by kx »

Oh, I agree that 'About' information is needed but what can you say to this:

1) Why we need to explicitly signify to the user that Xnview Shell Extension is 'there'? It is obvious as you see thumbnails.
2) What is the reason to enable this feature by default on installation?
3) Is 'About' dialog better than information in the menu?
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

kx wrote:Oh, I agree that 'About' information is needed but what can you say to this:

1) Why we need to explicitly signify to the user that Xnview Shell Extension is 'there'? It is obvious as you see thumbnails.
2) What is the reason to enable this feature by default on installation?
3) Is 'About' dialog better than information in the menu?
Well of course the 'About' information is needed, any app that installs on a OS (no matter how tiny) needs to display this information; it's not to look fancy.

>1> XnShell is not the only app out there that can show thumbnails on context menu, there are many others too. At least users would 'know' that it's an Xnview product by not just looking at the menu icon. Here's another scenario, you wouldn't start up general Xnview program and see in the corner of the window the text 'image viewer' it would say 'Xnview' whether in the viewer or browser mode.

>2> The text "XnShell" is in the other two menu dislay settings (by nice choice of Pierre) it's not supposed to be a typical feature you can enable or disable but since you are the only person has shown problem with seeing it then Pierre has offered to make it an enable/disable feature (which I think is silly, but that's what You want)

>3> The 'About' info has such small info about the app that doesn't require the need to have and open up another separate window. If the 'About' info of XnShell had more to say (credit to other author's, links etc) then yes a separate dialog box could be added.
kx

Post by kx »

budz45 wrote:XnShell is not the only app out there that can show thumbnails on context menu, there are many others too. At least users would 'know' that it's an Xnview product by not just looking at the menu icon.
Do you use two ore more applications showing thumbnails in the context menu? If not then you know exactly what stuff you use.
budz45 wrote:Here's another scenario, you wouldn't start up general Xnview program and see in the corner of the window the text 'image viewer' it would say 'Xnview' whether in the viewer or browser mode.
You see application name in the corner of the window to differentiate it on the taskbar but not for advertising. Furthermore window title is very long to contain as many text as needed unlike the context menu. So it is not good practice to fill the menu with excessive information.
budz45 wrote:...since you are the only person has shown problem with seeing it then Pierre has offered to make it an enable/disable feature (which I think is silly, but that's what You want)
It was not so silly till the day you have asked for the feature ;) Text and logo make the menu wide so it should be disabled by default. User could click on 'Options' or 'About' menu to get an answer for the question 'What program shows this pretty thumbnail?'.
budz45 wrote:If the 'About' info of XnShell had more to say (credit to other author's, links etc) then yes a separate dialog box could be added.
I'm sure that 'About' dialog should be created. However menu item associated with it would take some space. I don't know exactly but it could be better to call it from 'Options' dialog by pressing a button.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

kx wrote: You see application name in the corner of the window to differentiate it on the taskbar but not for advertising. Furthermore window title is very long to contain as many text as needed unlike the context menu. So it is not good practice to fill the menu with excessive information.
You should post a screenshot and show us what is excessive about your menu containing "XnShell: Options" and I think Pierre, who's experienced, knows good practice from bad he wouldn't just throw in the extra text just like that. It's how like another user requested multiple icons for each menu text item on XnShell which he disagreed against and thought would make an untidy visual.
kx wrote: It was not so silly till the day you have asked for the feature ;) Text and logo make the menu wide so it should be disabled by default. User could click on 'Options' or 'About' menu to get an answer for the question 'What program shows this pretty thumbnail?'.
You can take a look at my Win XP screenshot and tell me if you still think that "XnShell: Options" is making the context menu 'put on pounds'. http://i47.tinypic.com/2qi5o5h.png , I prefer for the prefix text "XnShell" to remain in this default menu, it's certainly not to look 'pretty' at all but serves an easy-understanding purpose. It's a nice abbreviation of the dev's own idea and if you were a user of the older versions you would know that it had a similar common to everyone text of "Xnview" - [oow oow wait a mo that should have been called "Prefs" (Kx), six characters is far too long and untidy, nice n slim eh :mrgreen: ]sarcasm

Perhaps it can be agreed for this instead: XnShell (Options) - there we go, the semi-colon is canceled out and also the suffix dots that followed the 'options' part of the text. Would this alternative instead, be better for agreement?

kx wrote: I'm sure that 'About' dialog should be created.. I don't know exactly but it could be better to call it from 'Options' dialog by pressing a button.
Not needed. The info that Pierre has published is very concise not requiring a separate window (1st line: app+version ; 2nd line: year+author's name). There is no email, URL, credits to people or imaging organizations added to XnShell like what you you see in Xnview. Obviously if more of the latter was added and Pierre wanted to add this stuff then of course he would know to make a dialog box. The 'About' banner is just fine as it is in v2.8 but anything could happen.
kx wrote:..However menu item associated with it would take some space..
So you originally would've liked the 'About' info to be called from the context menu wtf :?

funny how this thread has gone on so :P
kx

Post by kx »

budz45 wrote:You should post a screenshot and show us what is excessive about your menu containing "XnShell: Options"
Who do you mean when you say "us"? You are the only person who doesn't believe. Turn on sub-menu with some file information showing at the bottom of the thumbnail and see yourself.
budz45 wrote:Perhaps it can be agreed for this instead: XnShell (Options) - there we go, the semi-colon is canceled out and also the suffix dots that followed the 'options' part of the text. Would this alternative instead, be better for agreement?
It seems that you're not familiar with designing proper UI of applications. Suffix dots are not just a decoration but the requirement 8)

I would agree to this:
1) Removing of "XnShell" text and icon from the root of the sub-menu when "Sub-menu without preview" is enabled, cause other file information is already visible.
2) "XnShell Options..." Just no ugly colon after "XnShell" word.
3) Ability to hide "XnShell" text and icon at all like in previous versions.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

kx wrote:
budz45 wrote:You should post a screenshot and show us what is excessive about your menu containing "XnShell: Options"
Who do you mean when you say "us"? You are the only person who doesn't believe. Turn on sub-menu with some file information showing at the bottom of the thumbnail and see yourself.
"Us" as in other readers of this forum. I see what you mean on 'sub-menu without preview' as I must've been referring to another choice. Personally I like the display like that, colon or none the text "XnShell" must stay, but I agree on this menu choice that perhaps the 'file information' can be moved above the "XnShell" text and not following after it.
kx wrote:
budz45 wrote:Perhaps it can be agreed for this instead: XnShell (Options) - there we go, the semi-colon is canceled out and also the suffix dots that followed the 'options' part of the text. Would this alternative instead, be better for agreement?
It seems that you're not familiar with designing proper UI of applications. Suffix dots are not just a decoration but the requirement 8)
please tell me (and us) what previous creds you have in software ui design, would be interested to know :)
kx wrote:I would agree to this:
1) Removing of "XnShell" text and icon from the root of the sub-menu when "Sub-menu without preview" is enabled, cause other file information is already visible.
2) "XnShell Options..." Just no ugly colon after "XnShell" word.
3) Ability to hide "XnShell" text and icon at all like in previous versions.
1) No I like the "XnShell" text and icon on 'sub-menu without preview' and on all menu's, this must be kept. Add to that few other users on the forum requested the context menu icon not just myself. I think to better civil agree, in this menu instance, the display of 'file information' can simply be moved above the "XnShell" text but below the 'filename' text in the "sub-menu without preview" so the resulting would look like this http://i49.tinypic.com/tan761.png (mock drawing I created last month which shows a better desired default "no sub-menu")

2) yes, agreeable

3) OK this agreeable but please not as a default on installation, it would be something a user can easily disable after install in the options.

I hope we better agree on point especially on you point (1)