Mouse SIDE Buttons Move Back & Forward(View & Fullscren)

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

DragonicZero

Mouse SIDE Buttons Move Back & Forward(View & Fullscren)

Post by DragonicZero »

Hello,
There's a feature that I would like to request for the View and Fullscreen modes of XnView, and that is the ability to go to the Previous and Next file using the left and right SIDE mouse buttons, because I use a 5 button mouse and I think that it would be easier and faster to move to the next image with a single click wherever the mouse pointer is rather than clicking the arrow icon on the menu bar or using the keyboard. I'm used to this feature on the default picture viewer on Windows, but I switched to XnView because it's way better than the default picture viewer on Windows 7. The side buttons I'm talking about are not the left and right click ones, I mean the ones on mouses with more than the standard buttons. The mouse on the next image has those side buttons (That's the mouse that I use):

There is already a similar request but that one is for the Browser view (Which I don't use): http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14280

Please XnView users support me on this request, you know you want to...
00Nuclear00

Re: Mouse SIDE Buttons Move Back & Forward(View & Fullscren)

Post by 00Nuclear00 »

Hi I would also like this feature in a new version of xnview.
This feature is very importand because it saves a lot of time.

I own a Razer Habu with 2 extra buttons, which I often use in windows explorer,opera browser etc. to move forward and backward.

Can you make the keymapping configurable?
DragonicZero

Post by DragonicZero »

Exactly, It would be great if they could make those buttons configurable and it's a waste having them for nothing. I think the name of those buttons are XButton1 and XButton2. The key-mapping software that I have for my joystick also names them X1 and X2:

So, what we're looking for is something like this:
Think about it people, it can be done. And by the way, thanks for making such an awesome program.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=81923#p81923]XnView 1.97.2[/url]) wrote:1.97.1 Changelog

Added:
* Mouse Side Buttons support for prev/next file
Tested successfully with Logitech MX 400 (sans SetPoint driver) @ Windows 2000 SP4 8)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

XnTriq wrote:Tested successfully with Logitech MX 400 (sans SetPoint driver) @ Windows 2000 SP4 8)
Good mouse. :D

However it doesn't work here, with the same mouse, default Windows driver, Windows Vista SP2, XnView 1.97.2. Of course the buttons are working good in the web browsers and other programs.
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hi Dreamer :-)
  1. How is your MX 400 connected to the PC?
    (I'm using the USB to PS/2 adapter.)
  2. Could it be that HotkeyP somehow interferes?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hi XnTriq,

1. Same here.
2. HotkeyP has been disabled while testing. With HotkeyP it works good (when using mouse shortcuts macros).

I think it's the driver, try to disable SetPoint and check the buttons in IE and then in XnView.
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Dreamer wrote:I think it's the driver, try to disable SetPoint and check the buttons in IE and then in XnView.
Well, that's the weird part: SetPoint was never installed on my system in the first place, and yet I can use the “universal forward/back buttons”.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\MultifunctionAdapter\5\PointerController\0\PointerPeripheral\0]
"Identifier"="LOGITECH PS2 MOUSE"
I had tried a few utilities like KatMouse and MausII for a while, but they have since been removed completely.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

XnTriq wrote:SetPoint was never installed on my system...
Oops, I should read more carefully.

It's really strange, what about other users??
Dreamer
DragonicZero

Post by DragonicZero »

Thanks for adding the back & forward feature! It worked fine on my Pc using the mouse on the first post of this thread. For me that was all that was missing to make this software perfect, now it totally beats the crap out of Windows Photo Viewer (it always did, but now more than before) :mrgreen: .
ukulele

Post by ukulele »

I would like to use mouse side buttons for moving back and forward between folders instead of images. What I mean is to give the side buttons the same function that the little blue arrows on the small toolbar have. It would be very helpful when working with many folders. Would it be possible to make side buttons configurable the same way like the other buttons?
morel

Post by morel »

ukulele wrote:I would like to use mouse side buttons for moving back and forward between folders instead of images. What I mean is to give the side buttons the same function that the little blue arrows on the small toolbar have. It would be very helpful when working with many folders. Would it be possible to make side buttons configurable the same way like the other buttons?
I'd also very much like to see this functionality added. It doesn't need to be instead of images though, they're separate. It's quite necessary after using it in explorer/web browsers for forever.
ShrapNull

Post by ShrapNull »

I know this thread is old, but I have found a solution in a small autohotkey script I wrote. For anyone who doesn't know about autohotkey, it is very easy to use.

Create a new autohotkey script, then right click it & edit the script. Paste the following 3 lines at the bottom and save. Then double click on the file.

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive ahk_class XmainClass 
XButton1::PostMessage, 0x111, 335, 0, , XnView
XButton2::PostMessage, 0x111, 336, 0, , XnView

That is all. Please post back if this works for you.