iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

User avatar
DOS386
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: Iphone Flavor of PNG format

Post by DOS386 »

MaxSt wrote:forgot to make specific rules about what kind of information is forbidden in third-party chunks. Without such rules, I could embed mp3
Good point (they had prohibited animations, still) :-|
MaxSt wrote:Right, but if it's clearly broken, it would be unanimous no.
Let's wait what they say to Apple's "PNG" ...
MaxSt wrote:It's all irrelevant anyway, because their votes will not stop people from using APNG.
Maybe ... Internet is still full of AGIF's until now, no APNG's at all except on APNG fan pages, and people are usually acting irrationally anyway (why had MNG support been committed to Mozilla and then removed almost instantly many years ago ??? :?).
MaxSt wrote:gif2apng http://gif2apng.sf.net/
Interesting ... I've been aware of http://sourceforge.net/projects/giftoapngconver/ only so far. FYI, I'm not at all at war on APNG (AKA "outrage"), but the full truth on the matter has to be mentioned.
MaxSt wrote:Yes, inverse conversion could be useful too. I'll think about it. Thanks for suggestion.

APNG to AGIF would be lossy for Truecolor or Alphaized animations. What about frame decomposition into static PNG's ?
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.
MaxSt
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Iphone Flavor of PNG format

Post by MaxSt »

DOS386 wrote:Let's wait what they say to Apple's "PNG" ...
The difference is that Apple wants to patent this "invention". I'm not kidding: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100211553
Not surprisingly, PNG group thinks the "invention" is dumb, and PNG specs qualifies as prior art.
DOS386 wrote:Maybe ... Internet is still full of AGIF's until now, no APNG's at all except on APNG fan pages
The thing is - you can run into APNG without realizing it. I know a certain forum where almost everyone has APNG avatar. The forum software will not let them upload GIFs, but those 13-year olds still want their silly animations. You could browse that site without ever realizing the animated avatars are not GIFs.
DOS386 wrote:
MaxSt wrote:gif2apng http://gif2apng.sf.net/
Interesting ...
It's way better then the old java converter that could only do 8bit->32bit conversions, which almost always meant bigger file.
gif2apng can do 8bit->8bit conversions, and usually makes files smaller than the originals.
MaxSt wrote:What about frame decomposition into static PNG's ?
I have that too: http://sourceforge.net/projects/apngdis/

Post by DOS386 »

> It's way better then the old java converter that could only do 8bit->32bit conversions,
> which almost always meant bigger file.
> gif2apng can do 8bit->8bit conversions, and usually makes files smaller than the originals.

XN 1.97.4 can't display them ... FF 4.0b1 can ... also I got smaller output file than shown on your page. :-)

> I have that too: http://sourceforge.net/projects/apngdis/

COOL, and even: http://sourceforge.net/projects/apngasm/ :-)

BTW, it might be a good idea to add some purpose, version and (C) info into the binaries:
GIF2APNG 1.5 - AGIF to APNG animation converter (C) GPL by MaxSt
Win32 MSVC binary compiled 2010-12-31
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.
MaxSt
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by MaxSt »

DOS386 wrote:> It's way better then the old java converter that could only do 8bit->32bit conversions,
> which almost always meant bigger file.
> gif2apng can do 8bit->8bit conversions, and usually makes files smaller than the originals.

XN 1.97.4 can't display them ... FF 4.0b1 can ...
XN 1.97.6 displays them, but with artifacts. Firefox only recently started to display them.
I bugged Mozilla for a year, before they finally accepted the patch. :shock:
DOS386 wrote:also I got smaller output file than shown on your page. :-)
Ah, yes, need to remake the whole page anyway, it's not pretty.
DOS386 wrote:BTW, it might be a good idea to add some purpose, version and (C) info into the binaries:
hmm... maybe.

One day, hopefully, I'll combine them all three into one kickass XnView plugin. :)
Autinhorse
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by Autinhorse »

Not sure if I should put this information here. If not, Admin, please delete it.

After searching on web for this topic, I decide to make a Java version by myself. It can run on any platform, and convert a bundle of files by one click.
Here you can find Jar file and source code of it.

http://www.kylinworks.com/products/PNGC ... verter.php

You can use it to convert APNG to normal PNG. Hope it can be helpful.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by xnview »

XnView 1.97.7 can load/convert them
Pierre.
User avatar
maadjordan
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:33 pm

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by maadjordan »

Can you add saving .. loading works fine
XnView Arabic Support
User avatar
DOS386
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by DOS386 »

Autinhorse wrote:Not sure if I should put this information here. If not, Admin, please delete it.
We are not in China here ;-)
http://www.kylinworks.com/products/PNGC ... verter.php
Apple changed format of the PNG files, most software in Mac or Windows cannot view them.
They didn't change anything, they just created an incompatible hack, the original PNG format is still valid.
You can use it to convert APNG to normal PNG. Hope it can be helpful.
Please say " Apple-PNG " as APNG means "Animated PNG".
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.
User avatar
helmut
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by helmut »

DOS386 wrote:Please say " Apple-PNG " as APNG means "Animated PNG".
Yes, Apple PNG ≠ APNG.
mdejong
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:00 am

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by mdejong »

To make use of APNG in an iPhone/iOS app, you will need to use a library:

http://www.modejong.com/AVAnimator/

This library supports APNG and also Quicktime Animation formats. Animated content can be rendered into a UIView or a CALayer. The standard APIs for iOS don't support APNG currently.
mdejong
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:00 am

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by mdejong »

Just an FYI here, but I just published this APNG viewer app in the app store. It is free to download and works on both iPhone and iPad.

http://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/id447928057
User avatar
Drahken
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:29 pm

Re: iPhone Flavor of PNG format

Post by Drahken »

There's an APNG mod of the VirtualDub opensource video editor. It can import sequences from video files, GIFs, existing APNGs, and export to APNG, GIF, and of course various video formats.

http://vdubapngmod.sourceforge.net/
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
Post Reply