Default toolbar icons demopage

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mezich

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich »

xnview wrote:it will be good to have 'show/hide tree pane', 'show/hide info pane', 'show/hide preview'...
I'm not sure about info pane. Not found it in version 1.97.8.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi mezich!

Because there are so many different layouts possible in both versions of XnView, the icons you proposed above are too ambiguous to be useful. Those shaded panes could represent any of the several panels available, depending on the layout.

Perhaps starting with concepts for each individual pane ("Preview", "Info", "Folders", "Categories", etc.) would be a good first step?

Much more difficult, I know, and considering how "involved" the forum gets in the design of new icons and logos... :?

Well, as a start: the Info pane could be an "I" in a rectangle. Folders pane might be a tree of some sort in a rectangle... and so on. A separate image for "visible" mode (perhaps bright colors) and "not visible" mode (perhaps darker shading) might be good, too.

Just my 2 rubles...
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote: Because there are so many different layouts possible in both versions of XnView, the icons you proposed above are too ambiguous to be useful. Those shaded panes could represent any of the several panels available, depending on the layout.
You are right. I was thinking about default layout.

New version
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

John, what do you think about icons?
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I like them!

Is that the planned color scheme? A different "color way" for each functionality-set or group of icons might be a good idea. In XnView's case, would lavender="panel visibility" ?
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi mezich,

I was given the link to this topic by Pierre.

I would kindly like to request if you could create 2 new icons for XnView MP which may or may not be in the default toolbar. The two icons are:

1.) an icon for 'Mutlipage -on/off control' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 63&p=89921 - In that topic I thought it best that the icon be represented as a book.

2.) an icon for 'New/Open Tab' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21395 - Although this my not be specifically placed on the toolbar. Again, another feature idea of mine that I requested for XnView MP that may become important as MP develops more and more with a more sophisticated tabbed interface over old standard Xnview.

thank you
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote:I like them!

Is that the planned color scheme? A different "color way" for each functionality-set or group of icons might be a good idea. In XnView's case, would lavender="panel visibility" ?
This color scheme you can see also in "fullscreen" icon.
mezich

Post by mezich »

budz45 wrote:1.) an icon for 'Mutlipage -on/off control' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 63&p=89921 - In that topic I thought it best that the icon be represented as a book.
Book metaphor already used for help. I need more info what is 'Mutlipage -on/off'
budz45 wrote:2.) an icon for 'New/Open Tab' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21395 - Although this my not be specifically placed on the toolbar. Again, another feature idea of mine that I requested for XnView MP that may become important as MP develops more and more with a more sophisticated tabbed interface over old standard Xnview.
icon size for "newTab"?
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

mezich wrote:
budz45 wrote:1.) an icon for 'Mutlipage -on/off control' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 63&p=89921 - In that topic I thought it best that the icon be represented as a book.
Book metaphor already used for hel p. I need more info what is 'Mutlipage -on/off'
Ok, I will explain. In Xnview as you know we can view animated-GIF , APNG , JIF and as you also might know in XnView MP (future of XnView) we can also view icon files (.ico,.icns,.rsrc) as an Icon Snapshot. Both user viewing types of 'Icon Snapshot' and 'Images as Animated' are viewing the files in their non page-by-page (each frame) display type. The 'Mutlipage -on/off' feature is an on the fly button to simply switch between both viewing types of the type of files. It's for the Viewer not really for the Browser.

Correct topic link to this; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21385
You can also see in this picture where I made the proposed icon to go, just to give you an idea, it's in that same topic link; http://i52.tinypic.com/xofva1.png <--very suitable permanent location for this icon.

16x16 and 24x24 size for this icon, would be great.
mezich wrote:
budz45 wrote:2.) an icon for 'New/Open Tab' ; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21395 - Although this my not be specifically placed on the toolbar. Again, another feature idea of mine that I requested for XnView MP that may become important as MP develops more and more with a more sophisticated tabbed interface over old standard Xnview.
icon size for "newTab"?
16x16 and 24x24 please :D

----------------------------------------------

-so the 24x24 would be for Toolbar
-whereas the same 16x16 size would be for what's seen from the Menu bar

this what I mean by 16x16 Menu bar icons just in case I confuse

All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
mezich

Post by mezich »

budz45 wrote:Both user viewing types of 'Icon Snapshot' and 'Images as Animated' are viewing the files in their non page-by-page (each frame) display type. The 'Mutlipage -on/off' feature is an on the fly button to simply switch between both viewing types of the type of files. It's for the Viewer not really for the Browser.
As I see, by default xnView show animated GIF's as movie and ICO as separated frames. Sorry buy I don't understand profit of your suggestion. Why I need to turn off 'movie mode' for GIF and turn on 'autoplay' for ICO ?
mezich

Post by mezich »

New tab
mezich

Post by mezich »

budz45 wrote: -so the 24x24 would be for Toolbar
-whereas the same 16x16 size would be for what's seen from the Menu bar

this what I mean by 16x16 Menu bar icons just in case I confuse

16x16
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mezich wrote:New tab
Ok, perhaps an icon for 'thumbnails view only'??? John?
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Yes, a thumbs-only icon is needed for MP. I suggest a simple grid of rectangles.

What do you think?

(I like that new tab icon very much).
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote:Yes, a thumbs-only icon is needed for MP. I suggest a simple grid of rectangles.
What do you think?
(I like that new tab icon very much).
+thumbs-only