0.33 Request: 'Settings>Interface' layout and Tab closing

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

0.33 Request: 'Settings>Interface' layout and Tab closing

Post by budz45 »

Hello again,

Right, I've recently been playing around with tab closing in MP 0.33 and have also looked at the Settings>Interface , and have come to these conclusions:

1. There could be a new tab after 'Interface' called 'Tabs' in which here there would be all the settings for tabs. This would probably be better.

2. I would like to configure the behaviour of when closing the last tab (in viewer). Currently in XnView MP v0.33 when I close the last file's tab (image file, Viewer) it then restorts to Browser mode when actually i would like to configure it to go to an <Empty> tab instead.

3. I would like to configure the behaviour of when closing the first tab (in viewer) - first opened tab within a bunch of other opened tabs. Currently if I have 3 image files opened (3 tabs) in MP and I close the first tab then this first tab would resort to a synch'd Browser mode even when I have disabled the setting 'synchronize Browser when view is closed'.

What I propose for the above requests 2,3 is space for a drop-down menu just like how in my Opera 10.01 preferences window does it for tab settings like this;

So the drop-down menu choices for MP in the settings for tab closing would be these:
Browser
Next tab
Last active tab
<Empty> tab

I have made a mock-screenshot of everything that I have just explained above, kinda a visual summary of how it would all look like, look at this;
same link
Note: have renamed 'closing last tab exits xnview' to something slightly similar and accurate with the newer 'closing browser exits xnview (when no other tabs left)'.
==================
a second closer look (click to enlarge)

These below links of other requests are related to this topic (form part of this topic) too, so check them out;
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21413
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21039
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21395

Thank you for reading :D
Last edited by budz45 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: 0.33 Request: 'Settings>Interface' layout and Tab closin

Post by budz45 »

budz45 wrote: a second closer look (click to enlarge)
Slight mistake in the naming proposal, sorry, Ok I corrected it below, this would be for English language

'Closing first tab in group, initiates' should be named 'Closing first tab in group (Viewer), starts:'

and too...

'Closing last tab remaining, initiates' should be named 'Closing last tab (Viewer), starts:'

------------------------
EDIT-
I have made a video of the current way tab closes in MP; http://www.mediafire.com/?pd3z3su3zneekj3
In the video and in my normal use of MP, I have the following settings disabled;
-synchronize browser when view is closed
-closing last tab exits xnview
-only one image tab opened
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

As usual, excellent, well thought-out suggestions, budz45.
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thanks John.

Also guys, if any remember I also made a related request of Opening new tabs like a browser, file manager etc in this topic; http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21395

Ok I edited this topic aa little to add that url link.

Also, in this bottom mock-screenshot I've shown where that 'open new tab' tickbox option should go - within the new proposed layout: 8)
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

One last request on this subject, if I may....
So in this mock-screenshot I made drop-down options for "closing last tab"
budz45 wrote: a second closer look (click to enlarge)
I made only two necessary drop-down options for "closing last tab" which are as you can see 'empty tab' and 'exit xnview'

Ok may I further suggest a third option which would be 'No tabs' because remember in XnView win if you closed all tabs then the whole interface became tab-less, well the option for this for users would be nice to see in XnView MP in future
(tab-less interface in Xnview win)

or perhaps this third option would not be needed at all since the '<Empty> tab' feature is already enough and fills that same void. Perhaps I dream too much of web browser's tabbed-environment behaviour :mrgreen: Still something to consider nonetheless
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

#3 was a bug....
So we have only a setting when last view tab is closed (exit/open browser/empty tab)?
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:#3 was a bug....
So we have only a setting when last view tab is closed (exit/open browser/empty tab)?
Ok but I still suggest that you make a new tab under 'Settings' called 'Tabs', it would be nice and would be for all tab settings exclusively;

8)
Is this further coding possible??
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: Is this further coding possible??
yes sure :)
Pierre.