"Synchronize Browser selection with current View" broken

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

sngbrdb

"Synchronize Browser selection with current View" broken

Post by sngbrdb »

Searched, saw a similar post, but couldn't find a follow-up in the bug reports: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... on+#p13946

Feature: Synchronize Browser selection with current View

At some point this feature worked for me, and after one of the updates, it suddenly wasn't. I can't say which update broke it, because I may not have noticed it at first, and when I did, I thought I just needed to set this in my preferences. But when I finally checked, it was already set to true.

It's my understanding that when this option is checked and you open an image to view from the browser (by, say, double-clicking on the image in the browser), and subsequently navigate to the next image using the arrow keys, when you return to the browser, the last image you navigated to is the one selected. At one point this was the behavior I saw. In my case, 'return to the browser' means either closing the window using ctrl+w or switching tabs using ctrl+tab.

Note: If I double-click on the image I'm viewing or hit 'Enter' to return to the browser, the selected image is set to the image I was viewing.

My settings:
Synchronize Browser selection with current View: Checked
Keyboard: Cursor Left/Right = Previous/Next File
Open Action: Images = Open in XnView
Switching Modes: Double-Click = Browser<>Viewer

Can anyone verify this is a bug? Thanks!
James
xnvi

Re: "Synchronize Browser selection with current View" broken

Post by xnvi »

This is quite a serious bug in my opinion that can result in users permanently losing files without even knowing.

When going through pictures to organize them, I'll sometimes right-click on a folder in the folder view and choose "Show all files (recursive)". In the resulting file list, that I might have sorted by name or size for instance, I'll then double-click on the first one in the browser file list to view it in full-screen. From there I'll then view each image in turn by scrolling the mouse wheel. When there's one I don't want to keep I press Delete on the keyboard (with deletion confirmation disabled for speed). And when there's one that I want to copy or move to another folder, I'll do ALT-C or ALT-M.

Because of this bug though, the images I delete, copy, or move are not the ones I'm seeing in full screen. From what I can tell they are instead whatever file was last selected in the browser file list. So files that I actually want to keep get deleted, and wrong files get copied or moved to other folders. Luckily I noticed this and was able to restore some files from the Recycling Bin, but I wonder how many files I may have permanently deleted before without knowing.

(It also means that when you double-click again to return to the browser view the browser selection is on some previous file and you've lost where you were at in going through a large list of images.)

As far as I can tell, when the file list contains just the images from one folder, instead of "Show all files (recursive)", then the browser selection does seem to be synchronized with the full screen view. But I'm not 100% confident. This is with version 1.97.8.

Hope this can be fixed, and thank you very much for XnView ...

V.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

First Browser is only synchronized when you close view by ESC, or use dbl-click or return
xnvi wrote:When going through pictures to organize them, I'll sometimes right-click on a folder in the folder view and choose "Show all files (recursive)". In the resulting file list, that I might have sorted by name or size for instance, I'll then double-click on the first one in the browser file list to view it in full-screen. From there I'll then view each image in turn by scrolling the mouse wheel. When there's one I don't want to keep I press Delete on the keyboard (with deletion confirmation disabled for speed). And when there's one that I want to copy or move to another folder, I'll do ALT-C or ALT-M.

Because of this bug though, the images I delete, copy, or move are not the ones I'm seeing in full screen. From what I can tell they are instead whatever file was last selected in the browser file list. So files that I actually want to keep get deleted, and wrong files get copied or moved to other folders. Luckily I noticed this and was able to restore some files from the Recycling Bin, but I wonder how many files I may have permanently deleted before without knowing.
I don't understand this one. You have your result file list, and you go to view mode? Or fullscreen from browser?
If you ALT+C, the file copied is not the one that you have in fullscreen?
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Confirmed: the delete confirmation dialog may not match image seen.
How to reproduce:
1. Launch an image from 7zip file manager.
2. Image now appears in viewer.
3. Return to browser by pressing <enter>. (switching mode setting: 'browser <> viewer').
4. Select 'show files in subfolders' in menu.
5. Highlight image in browser and preview it with <F11>.
6. Roll mouse wheel back and forth a few notches.
7. Press <del> on image.
8. *<Filename With Ext> in fullscreen information does not match the name shown in confirmation dialog. I was watching one named 4a10.jpg in the middle of the list, and the confirmation dialog offered to remove first item, 4a00.jpg.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote: 1. Launch an image from 7zip file manager.
3. Return to browser by pressing <enter>. (switching mode setting: 'browser <> viewer').
If you have not these steps, do you have the bug?
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:
Yes, also when trying to use only the browser.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:
xnview wrote:
Yes, also when trying to use only the browser.
But you must have selected 'show files in subfolders'?
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote: But you must have selected 'show files in subfolders'?
That was the key. Choosing 'subfolders' has been only way for me to lose synchronization.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:
That was the key. Choosing 'subfolders' has been only way for me to lose synchronization.
I can't reproduce :( Do you use 'read ahead' & 'cache behind'?
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:
marsh wrote:
I can't reproduce :( Do you use 'read ahead' & 'cache behind'?
I have all buffer, cache settings turned off (no change when turned on though). Also tried shorter directory structure and filenames, but these did not have a change. The problem is limited to browser's fullscreen preview for me.
xnvi

Post by xnvi »

Here are some simplified reproduction steps to illustrate the problem.

Using version 1.97.8.
Options:
Synchronize Browser selection with current View - On
Auto Refresh - On
Go to next image when deleting current - On
Confirm file delete - Off
Cache, Read one image ahead - On
Cache, Keep current image in cache - Off

View > Show files in subfolders is Off

I created a folder 'test', containing a subfolder 'a'.
I copied 3 images in order to have:

test\a\1.jpg
test\2.jpg
test\3.jpg

In Browser mode, in the Folders tree view I right-click on folder 'test' and choose 'Show all files (recursive).

In my file list view (which I have in Details view sorted by name (numeric) ascending), I see:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I double-click on 1.jpg to start going through my images in full screen.
I use my mouse wheel to move through the images, viewing 2.jpg and then 3.jpg.

I decide I don't want to keep 3.jpg so I press Delete on my keyboard. (I have confirmation off to go through many new images quickly.)
The full-screen image changes to 2.jpg so it appears as if 3.jpg got deleted.

I double-click to exit full-screen mode and return to Browser mode.

The file list view now shows:

2.jpg
3.jpg

In other words, 1.jpg got deleted even though I thought I was deleting 3.jpg.

If I had done shift-delete, the file would be permanently lost. If I were going through a folder with a large number of subfolders and images this way, I could delete many files that I actually wanted to keep, and never even know it. I've done this before, only realizing it by chance when I happened to check my recycle bin before emptying.
Vapavite

Post by Vapavite »

French !

Salut,

Pierre ou lecteur francophone, est-ce que ce post est toujours d'actualité :!:

Merci
Vapavite @+
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

xnvi wrote:Here are some simplified reproduction steps to illustrate the problem.
Ok, i can reproduce now...
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Problem no longer exists for me with v.1.98b1