Only cycles throug first 32000 img in quick slide show (rnd)

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Kuklakot

Only cycles throug first 32000 img in quick slide show (rnd)

Post by Kuklakot »

Found on XnView v1.97.8. When given a large set of files (I do it by starting search on the directory where all the subdirectories with my images are stored, then pressing "view") XnView only cycles through the first 32000 or so of them in quick slide show mode when direction is set to "Random". Probably has something to do with random number generator returning int16.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Only cycles through first 32000 img in quick slide show

Post by xnview »

Yes, perhaps a int16 here :)
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Only cycles throug first 32000 img in quick slide show (

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
Kuklakot

Post by Kuklakot »

1.98 Beta didn't work for me. It does exactly what the previous version did.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

The search dialog show you a number > 32000 files found?
Pierre.
Kuklakot

Post by Kuklakot »

Yes, it shows the right number - more than 32000 if there's as many. It also allows you to navigate through the whole lot manually or in quick slide show when direction is set to "forward" or "backward". The problem is when you use quick slide show and choose "random" for direction. In this case it only picks files that belong to the first 32000 of the total number shown.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Random???
So you means 'slideshow' dialog not quick slideshow?
Pierre.
Kuklakot

Post by Kuklakot »

In Options->View->Misc. there's a group box titled "Quick Slide Show". I'm talking about the "direction" setting from there. It affects the direction in which the program navigates through the list when you click "Quick Slide Show" button on the upper toolbar or press "pause/break" key.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Oh yes, right :) will be fixed in beta3
Pierre.
Kuklakot

Post by Kuklakot »

Ok, so beta 3 solves the problem with 32000 limit, but now a new strange problem appeared. In the same mode (random direction, quick slideshow) you now get very erratic delay times between pictures. They can range from the value you specified in the "Delay (ms)" text box to anything like 3 times as much (so with 4 seconds delay typed in you can get 12-13 seconds of waiting).
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

sounds like just a derivative of my 'tiredness' bug
tho mine gets tired way before 32k.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Kuklakot wrote:Ok, so beta 3 solves the problem with 32000 limit, but now a new strange problem appeared. In the same mode (random direction, quick slideshow) you now get very erratic delay times between pictures. They can range from the value you specified in the "Delay (ms)" text box to anything like 3 times as much (so with 4 seconds delay typed in you can get 12-13 seconds of waiting).
Between each picture? You have the problem even if you use less than 30000 files?
Could you send me your email by PM, please?
Pierre.
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

Sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but I was just playing around with loading in all of the images on my computer into a randomized slideshow for kicks, and I found that this bug still appears in v2.0, although the cap seems to have increased. At this point, it looks like it just cycles through the first 60-70k images (most likely 65,535, a variable size limit issue again). I'm sure a slideshow of this size isn't common usage, but I could see photographers that never get rid of their scrap/draft shots from past shoots potentially getting up over 65k. Obviously not a high priority fix, but it would be nice to bump it up to a 2^32 limit, instead of 2^16, if it wouldn't take too much work on your part.

Thanks,
Alamei
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

I just realized that the "quick" slideshow code may be different from the normal code, so I should mention that I was running into the cap creating a slideshow from the normal (CTRL+L) window, in case that makes any difference.
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

The issue I'm describing happens when you use random/shuffle even on a normal slideshow; it's entirely unrelated to a quick slideshow. Perhaps I should create a separate topic, but I thought the issue was close enough in nature that it was better to just include it here.