Comics files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TGB_72

Comics files

Post by TGB_72 »

When I open cbr and cbz files in Xnview I can only see one page, I would like to know if comics are fully supported and if that the case how can I see the entire comic in thumbnail mode and once I select a page how to jump to the next page since arrows and pgup/pgdn dont' work.

I've installed Xnview 1.97.8 full with all the addons in Win 7 32 bits.
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: Comics files

Post by marsh »

Archives can be navigated in browser's preview (highlight + F11, then <pg up> <pg dn>. I haven't tried it recently, but it reads like the old behaviour about the viewer being different remains.
lian

Post by lian »

The simplest think to do is to rename the files comics.cbr in comics.rar and extract them. Well, it's what I do :-)
SF, illustrations et mes BD sur mon blog: https://www.li-an.fr/
Windows 10 Home 64 bits
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

No need to rename. Any archiving program that can handle rar files can extract them without renaming. Additionally, xnview can view them without renaming nor extracting. The issue is that for some reason xnview's viewer mode can't handle archives properly & will always just show the first image.
Xnview's browser mode however works differently for some reason. If you go into browser mode & navigate to the comic archive you can open it as though it were a folder. If you then open an image from it in fullscreen mode (I believe double clicking it opens fullscreen by default), you can then scroll through the images in the archive with the mousewheel or keyboard shortcuts (I believe page up/down are the default ones).
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
lian

Post by lian »

Thanks for the tip.
SF, illustrations et mes BD sur mon blog: https://www.li-an.fr/
Windows 10 Home 64 bits
TGB_72

Post by TGB_72 »

II tried to open the archive as cbr and also as rar but it still show only the first image and even in fullscreen (F11) the keys pgup and pgdn don't work :(
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Make sure to open it into fullscreen from within the browser. Browser fullscreen & viewer fullscreen are different (don't ask me why).
Go into browse mode (hit ctrl+b if you start in viewer mode), navigate to your comic file (ie c:\comics\comic.cbr), and click it (if it has folders within it, you'll have to navigate through those too). Xnview's browser treats archive files the same as folders, so when you get into it you'll see a bunch of thumbnails for all the images in the file. If double clicking one opens in the viewer, then go back to the browser & right click the image and select the fullscreen option. Once you've done that, mousewheel or page up/down should go to the next image in the file.

In all honesty though, you're best off with a specially designed reader. Xnview is a great jack-of-all-trades tool, but sometimes a dedicated program is better.
For comic reading, I would suggest either cdisplay 1.8.5 (even though it's been discontinued ever since the author vanished years ago, it's still one of the best readers), or mangameeya (search for "mangameeya english").
TGB_72

Post by TGB_72 »

Thanks for reply but I cannot see the thumbnail of these cbr archives and when I click on fullscreen in the browser or press F11 nothing happens. Like you said I better go for a comic reader, thanks again and best regards.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Go into tools->options->browser->file list->file list and make sure that you have the boxes checked next to "archives".
If that still doesn't work, try tools->options->browser->file list->misc and make sure the "recognize by extension" box is checked.

Those are the only archive related options I have set.
TGB_72

Post by TGB_72 »

I've checked "archives" in file list>file list and "recognize only by extension" in file list>misc but it still don't work :(

As you can see in the picture I've 4 comic archives in a folder, 2 of them are thumbnailed and can be opened as folders the other 2 not. Otherwise fullscreen (F11) doesn't work in the browser for any of them, neither the pgup / pagdn keys for navigation.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Strange. I have no idea what might be going on at this point. The only other thing I can suggest is to change the extensions from cbz to cbr & from cbr to cbz. Often people will use one extension (most commonly cbr), regardless of what format the file actually is (cbr is supposed to be rar files and cbz is supposed to be zip). While most archiving programs don't care if the file is named accurately, some do.
I don't really think this is the problem you're having now, but it's the last thing I can think of to check.
TGB_72

Post by TGB_72 »

I tried changing the extension like you said but the problem persist :( For the moment I'll use CDisplay for comics, thanks for your help anyway ;)
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Remember to open archive before pressing <F11> on comics first page inside of it. Some post read like this was already tried though. Also, passwords not supported and subdirectories require folders enabled in file list. Subdirectories could cause no picture on cbz thumbnail.
More options... General>keyboard/mouse>open action (browser)>archives [Open with XnView].
And another check would be to place several good images in regular zip file with an archiver to see if that works- if it does then there is problem with file.
TGB_72

Post by TGB_72 »

marsh wrote:Remember to open archive before pressing <F11> on comics first page inside of it. Some post read like this was already tried though.
Tried but doesn't works
marsh wrote:Also, passwords not supported and subdirectories require folders enabled in file list. Subdirectories could cause no picture on cbz thumbnail.
These files don't have pass neither subdirectories.
marsh wrote:And another check would be to place several good images in regular zip file with an archiver to see if that works- if it does then there is problem with file.
Already checked and it works :shock:

The strange thing is that when I open these comics an press F11 Xnview navigate always through the pics located in c:\users\USER\appdata\local\temp\ instead navigate the cbr/cbz file :?
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

TGB_72 wrote:
marsh wrote:And another check would be to place several good images in regular zip file with an archiver to see if that works- if it does then there is problem with file.
Already checked and it works :shock:

The strange thing is that when I open these comics an press F11 Xnview navigate always through the pics located in c:\users\USER\appdata\local\temp\ instead navigate the cbr/cbz file :?
That is the usual behaviour for program. Cbz is just a renamed zip file.