XnView MP: Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Karl02

XnView MP: Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag

Post by Karl02 »

Tested with XnView MP 0.38.7 win32

1. Checking the option "Rotate image based on EXIF orientation" (in Tools > Settings > General > General) has no immediate effect on the thumbnails (but on the preview). View > Refresh (or F5) does not help. When switching to another directory and back, the thumbnails are correctly rotated.

This bug is also present in the Windows version: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15693

2. When the above option is active, in the EXIF information the value of the tag is always displayed as "1". In the Windows version this bug is fixed: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11908

3. I'd suggest to rename the option like in the Windows version to "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag".
Last edited by Karl02 on Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Karl
Karl02

Re: MP 0.38.7 win: EXIF orientation tag

Post by Karl02 »

Tested in MP 0.39 win (2011-09-02). No changes.
-- Karl
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Karl02 wrote:3. I'd suggest to rename the option like in the Windows version to "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag".
"Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" better than "Rotate image based on EXIF orientation"????
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please check XnViewMP 0.48
Pierre.
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

Tested with XnViewMP 0.48 win (2012-04-19) with the following results:

1) When viewing thumbnails in the browser while a directory is selected, changing the option "Rotate image based on EXIF orientation" works on all thumbnails immediately after clicking "OK". :)

2) When a thumbnail is selected while changing the option, only this thumbnail is rotated. The other thumbnails are only rotated after switching to another directory and back. So in this case the bug is still present. :bug:

3) In the EXIF information the value of the EXIF orientation tag is now always displayed as it is saved in the file. :)

4)
xnview wrote:
Karl02 wrote:3. I'd suggest to rename the option like in the Windows version to "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag".
"Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" better than "Rotate image based on EXIF orientation"????
Yes. 8)

Test images:
exif-orientation-testimages.rar
exif orientation testimages
(62.84 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
New version here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 26#p126292
Last edited by Karl02 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Karl
Karl02

Post by Karl02 »

Tested with XnViewMP version 0.51 (2012-06-26) win32 on Windows 7 64 bit with the following results:

1) Still OK. :)

2) Bug still present. :bug:

3) Still OK. :)

4) Option renamed. :)
-- Karl
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Karl02 wrote: 2) Bug still present. :bug:
I can't reproduce, you use these jpeg files, select all, 'lossless rotate by exif', and thumbnail is not updated?
Do you have the same thing with 'lossless rotate clockwise'?
Pierre.
Karl02

MP 0.75 beta: Rotate images according to EXIF orientation ta

Post by Karl02 »

^This is about the option "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" which is currently in General > General. It has only effect on the display of the images and does not change the files. Therefore I think that it would better fit in the View section of the settings.

Tested with XnViewMP version 0.75 beta (2015-05-19) win32 on Windows 7 64 bit and the F images that I've attached in the post above with the following results:

1) When viewing thumbnails in the browser while a directory is selected, and then changing the option "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" and clicking "OK", the thumbnails F_2 to F_7 are immediately rotated (F_1 is never rotated). :)

2) If a thumbnail is selected while changing the option, only the selected thumbnail is immediately rotated. The other thumbnails are only rotated after switching to another directory and back. :bug:

2b) If more than one thumbnail is selected while changing the option, only the last thumbnail get's selected and immediately rotated. The other thumbnails are only rotated after switching to another directory and back. :bug:

3) In the EXIF information tab the value of the EXIF orientation tag is now again always displayed as "1" when the option is active. :bug:

4) The name of the option is now OK, but I'd suggest to move it to the "View" section of the settings. And perhaps it could also be added to the "View" menu to make it easier accessible.
-- Karl
B.Douille

Re: XnView MP: Rotate images according to EXIF orientation t

Post by B.Douille »

It seems the behaviour described relates to a refresh issue. That's a long run issue with MP. We use to press F5 regularly and sometime even need to temporary change focus to another folder in order to get the list refreshed. I agree that's painful and may discourage new users.

The other topic, related to the option menu:
This is about the option "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" which is currently in General > General. It has only effect on the display of the images and does not change the files. Therefore I think that it would better fit in the View section of the settings.
While I would agree on the above suggestion, there is rather a proposal to merge 2 options that are related together.
To be considered: There are 2 options related to EXIF orientation
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
Karl02

Re: XnView MP: Rotate images according to EXIF orientation t

Post by Karl02 »

See Bug Tracker Issue 663 for current status and details.
-- Karl