REQ: Suggestions for new Tab feature

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

REQ: Suggestions for new Tab feature

Post by Dreamer » Sat May 14, 2005 10:41 pm

Nice feature, could be even better:

- add the right-click context menu to every tab with Close, Minimize...
- add ability to close the tab with a middle mouse button (same as in the Avant Browser)
- add another hotkey to switch the tabs - F8 (same as in the Avant Browser)
- add ability to switch the tabs with a mouse wheel over the tabs area (same as in the Avant Browser)

Implemented in RC2
Last edited by Dreamer on Mon May 23, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Mon May 16, 2005 4:06 pm

Not just Avant, but most tab-interface browsers support options similar to the ones Dreamer requested. Nearing "standard" status.

The new tabs approach in XNView is absolutely fantastic. Separating the Browser so that it doesn't tile with the images is wonderful. Now I can quickly get my "side-by-side" comparisions without the browser getting in the way.
John

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8176
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: 1.80: Suggestions for new Tab feature

Post by helmut » Tue May 17, 2005 6:07 pm

Dreamer wrote:- add the right-click context menu to every tab with Close, Minimize...
Right. Especially "Close" would be handy. For all I know it's on Pierre's list for the next version.
Dreamer wrote:- add ability to close the tab with a middle mouse button (same as in the Avant Browser)
Might be useful, but I think that's not a standard and not known to many people. Just tried in FireFox, it's also supported there.
Dreamer wrote:- add another hotkey to switch the tabs - F8 (same as in the Avant Browser)
Think you know that there is Strg+Tab for switching the tabs and want an additional hotkey - right?
Dreamer wrote:- add ability to switch the tabs with a mouse wheel over the tabs area (same as in the Avant Browser)
Same as above: Might be useful but not a real standard. Also just have tried this in FireFox: This is not supported by FireFox.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: 1.80: Suggestions for new Tab feature

Post by Dreamer » Tue May 17, 2005 6:39 pm

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:- add the right-click context menu to every tab with Close, Minimize...
Right. Especially "Close" would be handy. For all I know it's on Pierre's list for the next version.
Close is already implemented :wink:
helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:- add another hotkey to switch the tabs - F8 (same as in the Avant Browser)
Think you know that there is Strg+Tab for switching the tabs and want an additional hotkey - right?
Yes but a single key is better - and is also already implemented.

Now you can switch between the browser and viewer (or more viewer windows) with F8, between views in the browser with F9 and between viewer and fullscreen with F11

It would be nice if Pierre could implement also switching between the browser and fullscreen with F11 and custom views with F10 (and F9) more here.
helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:- add ability to switch the tabs with a mouse wheel over the tabs area (same as in the Avant Browser)
Same as above: Might be useful but not a real standard. Also just have tried this in FireFox: This is not supported by FireFox.
There is an extension for FireFox, but not working good...

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Tue May 17, 2005 6:43 pm

Dreamer wrote:
- add ability to close the tab with a middle mouse button (same as in the Avant Browser)
Might be useful, but I think that's not a standard and not known to many people. Just tried in FireFox, it's also supported there.
Middle-click to close a tab works in nearly every tabbed software I use. I conclude it must be nearly a standard. It is certainly in my hand-memory.
John

OL

Post by OL » Fri May 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Middle click to close tab is definitely a standard.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Fri May 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Also, though certainly not critical...

It would be great to have an option "Tabs on Bottom" (of the window)
John

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Fri May 20, 2005 6:40 pm

JohnFredC wrote:It would be great to have an option "Tabs on Bottom" (of the window)
I agree.

OL

Post by OL » Fri May 20, 2005 6:49 pm

also to have a "Close other tabs" context menu item, like in Firefox.
for example: you have 10 viewer tabs opened, right-click browser tab>close other tabs", and then all viewer tabs are closed at once.

User avatar
EgoSun
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:26 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Post by EgoSun » Sat May 21, 2005 7:40 pm

I don't know whether it is standard but it would be really handy feature:

-Close tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab)
-Open tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab bar)

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat May 21, 2005 10:27 pm

EgoSun wrote:-Close tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab)
This option is in Avant Browser and I don't like it, you can close a tab by accident very easy. If it will be added, then only as an option (as in Avant) and disabled by default. MMB click is better and "safe".
-Open tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab bar)
And what should be opened??

User avatar
EgoSun
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:26 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Post by EgoSun » Sat May 21, 2005 10:49 pm

I have nothig against adding it as an option, I will just enable it after installation.
And what should be opened??
A new tab should be opened with a new thumbnail view in it, for example.

Danny
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:09 pm

Post by Danny » Sat May 28, 2005 5:28 pm

EgoSun wrote:I don't know whether it is standard but it would be really handy feature:

-Close tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab)
-Open tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab bar)
Closing a tab via doubleclick is also a bad idea since you'll activate the tab with your 1st click and thus the imige will be re-loaded for display. That'd probably slow the process down. Clicking with the middle mousebutton can close it without reloading the image into memory.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8176
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Sun May 29, 2005 10:19 am

Danny wrote:...Closing a tab via doubleclick is also a bad idea since you'll activate the tab with your 1st click and thus the imige will be re-loaded for display. That'd probably slow the process down. Clicking with the middle mousebutton can close it without reloading the image into memory.
That's an argument which Pierre should keep an eye on and consider.
(I think when double-clicking, only a double-click event is sent to the application, not first a single click and then another double-click event. But that's programming level and Pierre's business, we are on user-level, here. )

I've tested some applications with folder tabs. Some close with Middle mouse button, some with double-click. Looks as if there is no real standard. Perhaps support both?
Last edited by helmut on Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 29, 2005 1:19 pm

Helmut, again...
EgoSun wrote:-Close tab on doubleclick (doubleclick on a tab)
This option is in Avant Browser and I don't like it, you can close a tab by accident very easy. If it will be added, then only as an option (as in Avant) and disabled by default. MMB click is better and "safe".
I think Pierre already said somewhere that he'll add MMB click.

Locked