RC5: Compare dialog: OK button

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

RC5: Compare dialog: OK button

Post by helmut »

When comparing images (Tools > Compare...) it's important to have as much as space for the image as possible.

Currently, there's the toolbar at the top and a lonesome 'OK' button at the bottom. Think the OK button could be moved to the top (a bit expectional, but saving space is worth while it) or be completely removed (there's the system menu [x] for closing, already.

In context menu (right mouse button), there should be 'Close'.

XnView 1.80 <x>
User avatar
Lesmo16
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 8:59 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Lesmo16 »

Support!
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Post by Dreamer »

I disagree.

Sometimes you need just compare images (with Shift+C later...) and quickly close "Compare window" - now it is possible with Enter thanks to OK button. ESC is not very handy for me...

Please find another way to save space :wink:
User avatar
Lesmo16
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 8:59 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Lesmo16 »

@Dreamer:
Helmut wrote:Think the OK button could be moved to the top (a bit expectional, but saving space is worth while it) ...
Therefor my support again. :wink:
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Re: RC5: Compare dialog: OK button

Post by marsh »

Helmut, I suppose you mean putting OK-button on each toolbar (that would result in at least 2 OK-buttons. Right?
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: RC5: Compare dialog: OK button

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:Helmut, I suppose you mean putting OK-button on each toolbar (that would result in at least 2 OK-buttons. Right?
Right. And if you compare more than 2 images you will have...

Personally I'd prefer to have no OK buttons but System menu [x], 'Close' in context menu, and Esc key. (System menu is already there). From my point of view that would be sufficient and still convenient.

Or instead of a 'Close' button have a special 'Close' toolbar button, similar to the dialogs of print previews.
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

I also think saving space is more important here, by removal or toolbar placement.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

BTW:
In compare dialog, why do we have a toolbar above each single image anyway? Currently the toolbar affects all images, so I wonder...
marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh »

One toolbar button deletes image, the rest seem to effect all photos at once. That could explain multiple toolbars. There seems to be a 4 picture maximum for this function.....thats good, there should be a limit.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:BTW:
In compare dialog, why do we have a toolbar above each single image anyway? Currently the toolbar affects all images, so I wonder...
Yes, you can save space space here, maybe some features (delete, rename) could be in the context menu...

But I still want OK button...

OT - I miss "focus to OK" also in Properties dialog box, I can't use Enter there.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

I really think that an OK button isn't needed for the compare dialog.

People are used to closing dialogs with system menu, afaik Internet Explorer and FireFox haven't got OK buttons, either, but these are full applications, not just dialogs.
Danny
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:09 pm

Post by Danny »

To throw my 2 cents into the mix: i don't see a use for an OK button either. You can close the window in the upper right like every other window.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Post by Dreamer »

I still want OK button (and focus on it), not important where it will be.

E.g. I press Shift+C (probably main shortcut, see another topic) and then quickly Enter to close. I can't use Escape because I could close also main xnview window.

Or, my mouse has one great feature:

"Automatically positions the cursor on hte default button (usually the OK button) when dialog box appears on your screen"

so also if I open Compare dialog box with my mouse, I could close it immediately (currently not possible).
User avatar
Lesmo16
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 8:59 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Lesmo16 »

Dreamer wrote:I can't use Escape because I could close also main xnview window.
There's no problem to use <ESC>, because you would have to use it twice to close main application.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Post by Dreamer »

Lesmo16 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I can't use Escape because I could close also main xnview window.
There's no problem to use <ESC>, because you would have to use it twice to close main application.
It's not a big problem to hit ESC twice by accident or hold it a bit longer. I don't like ESC key, Enter is better, more handy, safe...