Dual pane file browser [with visuals]...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Dreamer wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:Dual pane browsing and file management makes more sense in the XNView world if we could have multiple browser tabs... I certainly would use the feature.
Yeah, is there already a thread requesting multiple browser tabs? Or does this thread count for it?
There are too many posts here, so I don't know...

I'll add both links to Global Request & Suggestion list.
Great, so I don't need a thread for multiple browser tabs right?
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

TsunamiZ wrote: You obviously just don't get it so I'm not going to waste anymore productive time convincing you. Other users can speak for this feature. Also read Dreamer's points, because he "gets it". Plus, why don't you go to xplorer2's forum [ www.zabkat.com ] and try to convince users that dual pane is a useless feature, so you don't waste my time. [And I used to think people had to be relatively intelligent to be a moderator.] :x
I am amazed by pure logic of your arguments. I will refer to them as soon as they appear.
Sorry to have used your priceless time.

Any of proponents is able to answer my post?

X.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This discussion is quite difficult and having dual panes or not makes a very big difference. With all those pros & cons please do not forget that after all...
... discussing things should be fun (please have a look at the Forum Rules & Guidelines).
... Pierre has a voice and will decide things. At the moment (and often) he simply has no time to join discussions. He surely will read all arguments and then decide.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Xyzzy wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote: You obviously just don't get it so I'm not going to waste anymore productive time convincing you. Other users can speak for this feature. Also read Dreamer's points, because he "gets it". Plus, why don't you go to xplorer2's forum [ www.zabkat.com ] and try to convince users that dual pane is a useless feature, so you don't waste my time. [And I used to think people had to be relatively intelligent to be a moderator.] :x
I am amazed by pure logic of your arguments. I will refer to them as soon as they appear.
Sorry to have used your priceless time.

Any of proponents is able to answer my post?

X.
Most of us have already made the basis of this feature very clear. Anyone who requires a re-explanation at this point is just being stupid.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Xyzzy wrote:Any of proponents is able to answer my post?

X.
Just read my posts above and the other topic (link is above too).
Self evident-not. Clarify to me usefulness of two file panels in MEDIA BROWSER. Come up with some SCENARIOS related to media browsing/editing when it is useful. Tell it to me (and others) in plain words. Maybe the solutions is already there, you just cannot find it.
I see no difference between the files that thousands of users manage (copy/move...) in file managers and files we manage in xnview. We manage the same MULTIMEDIA files, not system windows files or DLLs.

It's all about different people, some people like this, some that.

There are already several ways to copy/move files: ctrl+x/c/v, context menu, drag&drop, alt+c/m, toolbar buttons. So we just want another way, because we like this way.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Dreamer wrote: It's all about different people, some people like this, some that.
I agree.
So I understand this feature should be considered "user preference", not "improvement"; like some people choose dual-filelist, and some single-filelist file managers.

X.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Xyzzy wrote:
Dreamer wrote: It's all about different people, some people like this, some that.
I agree.
So I understand this feature should be considered "user preference", not "improvement"; like some people choose dual-filelist, and some single-filelist file managers.

X.
It is an improvement for those savvy enough to make use of it. If you don't use it then fine, but don't try to tell others it's useless just because you don't use it. You alone don't speak for everyone so once you've voiced your opinion, step back and let other users decide.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

One benefit of dual pane display is comparing thumbnails between folders.

I can do that today with any number of dual pane file managers (TC, Salmander, SC, DOPus, etc, etc) but compared to XnView they are all slow to display the thumbs.

If dual panes (or multiple browser tabs with tiling) were implemented in XnView, it would be very critical for me to have drag and drop functionality between the tabs/panes.

On the other hand, if some form of simple "layout control" of two XnView instances were available (such as options like "auto-tile second instance" and "treat second instance as second panel" and "at startup always open second instance"), I could open two instances of XnView and have it automatically arrange the two instances into a "dual pane" layout.

Probably easier for Pierre to implement.

Again, drag and drop support required.
John
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

After reading through all the posts here, I'm withdrawing my support for dual panes. My file manager xplorer2 pro does a great job with dual panes and will continue to do so. I'll use both together as I always have done.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

xplorer2 beats all of them, IMO.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

We're not here to start a fight over file managers people!

Everyone uses what they are comfortable with, I have my own reasons for liking xplorer2 pro over the competition.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

any plans for dual pane yet?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TsunamiZ wrote:any plans for dual pane yet?
No, currently not in "Must to have" for next release....
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
Please don't forget that there are people and good reasons against dual pane. See my first post, for example. Before implementing anything, this should be discussed thoroughly.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
Please don't forget that there are people and good reasons against dual pane. See my first post, for example. Before implementing anything, this should be discussed thoroughly.
How can you be against dual pane if you've never used a similar application with dual pane?