handle pictures without bug

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

darrask

handle pictures without bug

Post by darrask »

I get an error message with a big red cross every time I want to move a selected picture to another folder when its preview has not been generated yet.

It's the same if for a bunch of selected pictures, if I drag from the image which is not shown in the preview.

In both cases you have to wait until the image is processed to start dragging it to another folder.

Could we have a shortcut?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: handle pictures without bug

Post by xnview »

Which big red cross? Which system do you have?
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

Ooops sorry, I mean the classical windows error message, simply saying "problem" + name and path of file.
Unfortunately can't post a screenshot at the moment.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

And if you press on ESC to stop thumbnail creation at the beginning, do you have the same problem?
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

OK, I think I was not clear:
This problem occurs also in folders in which the thumbnails are already cached, generated and displayed.
I meant that moving by drag'n drop is not possible when the PREVIEW ("prévisu" tab in the split window next to properties, histogram and categories tabs) of the picture being dragged (singly or in a group selection) is not shown yet.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

darrask wrote:OK, I think I was not clear:
This problem occurs also in folders in which the thumbnails are already cached, generated and displayed.
I meant that moving by drag'n drop is not possible when the PREVIEW ("prévisu" tab in the split window next to properties, histogram and categories tabs) of the picture being dragged (singly or in a group selection) is not shown yet.
I can't reproduce. Which system do you have? Which version of xnview?
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

I tried on both 1.93.6 and 1.95b2, I have Vista SP1, it was the same without SP1, however I just tried on XP with a friend, and there is no such problem.

A screenshot:

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

darrask wrote:I tried on both 1.93.6 and 1.95b2, I have Vista SP1, it was the same without SP1, however I just tried on XP with a friend, and there is no such problem.
Ok, i understand. The problem is with long loading of nef. When you select nef files, xnview load the current file for preview. So you can't move/copy before this process is finished. So perhaps you can use 'embedded thumbnail' in option/View/Misc/RAW
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

Actually the format does not matter it's only the loading time, I've had it with TIFF and jp2 too.
But I tried exactly the same on XP, and on this OS, XV does not care about having loaded the preview or not when I drag the picture.
I wonder whether other Vista users experience this problem.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

darrask wrote:Actually the format does not matter it's only the loading time, I've had it with TIFF and jp2 too.
Your pictures are big?
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

TIFF: usually 18-30 MB, jp2: above 1 MB
but if I'm really quick with dragging the picture, I can generate the problem with small jpegs also, which show the preview faster.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

darrask wrote:TIFF: usually 18-30 MB, jp2: above 1 MB
but if I'm really quick with dragging the picture, I can generate the problem with small jpegs also, which show the preview faster.
And if you wait a little before dragging?
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

Of course, if I wait until the preview is generated, no problem! that's the whole point, for me moving should not depend on preview creation because it can take some time for big files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

darrask wrote:Of course, if I wait until the preview is generated, no problem! that's the whole point, for me moving should not depend on preview creation because it can take some time for big files.
The problem is that xnview try to load a file in the preview, so you can't move it before the end of loading
Pierre.
darrask

Post by darrask »

Yes, I get that.