IPTC & EXIF in TIFF files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

wishy

IPTC & EXIF in TIFF files

Post by wishy »

I find that TIFF files with metadata only show as flagged in Xnview whenever they have been saved with no compression. Is there a way for compressed Tiffs to display data?

Also, thinking that I could batch convert my compressed tiff files within Xnview, I found that converting from compressed to non-compressed seemed to delete metadata. Is this the correct behaviour or is there a way to convert and maintain the metadta?
TIA
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: IPTC EXIF Query

Post by xnview »

wishy wrote:I find that TIFF files with metadata only show as flagged in Xnview whenever they have been saved with no compression. Is there a way for compressed Tiffs to display data?
Could you send me a sample?
Also, thinking that I could batch convert my compressed tiff files within Xnview, I found that converting from compressed to non-compressed seemed to delete metadata. Is this the correct behaviour or is there a way to convert and maintain the metadta?
TIA
TIFF too?
Pierre.
wishy

Re: IPTC EXIF Query

Post by wishy »

xnview wrote:
wishy wrote:I find that TIFF files with metadata only show as flagged in Xnview whenever they have been saved with no compression. Is there a way for compressed Tiffs to display data?
Could you send me a sample?
TIA
TIFF too?
On further testing, it doesn't appear to be the case that compressed Tiffs don't flag. If I open and resave in Photoshop (compressed or not) the metadata does flag in Xnview. The metadata was written using Adobe Bridge but doesn't seem to show up in Xnview until I resave the file via Photoshop.

I was thinking that if I used batch convert in Xnview to resave my tiffs in the same format, I might retain the metadata but doing so seems to remove the metadata.
Eric B

Save as Tiff and exif lost

Post by Eric B »

I still enjoy using XnView as main image viewer. Thanks.

I've just upgraded to v1.95.2 which seems to support IPTC for tiff files. What about EXIF?

I am currently working with Hugin to make some panorama and try to rework the resulting tiff with XnView.

I open a TIFF file with EXIF data (with LZW compression or without compression). The Exif metadata are properly read, but when I save the tiff file and reload it again, the EXIF metadata are lost.
Could we expect full exif support in a future version?
When directly too difficult, could ExifTool be an alternative?

Other question regarding the Auto crop feature: it works quite well currently by removing only e.g. the black lines.
Would it be possible to enhance it with a rectangular option, so that the auto cropped image is a full rectangular one, by cropping some irregular borders?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Save as Tiff and exif lost

Post by xnview »

Eric B wrote:I open a TIFF file with EXIF data (with LZW compression or without compression). The Exif metadata are properly read, but when I save the tiff file and reload it again, the EXIF metadata are lost.
Strange, i can't confirm. Perhaps you can send me the tiff file?
Other question regarding the Auto crop feature: it works quite well currently by removing only e.g. the black lines.
Would it be possible to enhance it with a rectangular option, so that the auto cropped image is a full rectangular one, by cropping some irregular borders?
ok an interesting feature
Pierre.
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

here a tiff file well tagged

What did I do? What can be reproduced:
1) open the orginal tiff in xnview
2) (resize it and) saved it as this file
3) refresh it in xnview (-> reloads the metadata) -> the IPTC data are still there but no exif anymore.

4) display the metadata with exiftool:

Code: Select all

Exiftool.exe -all 20081019_15-55-46_Regensburg_pano6_23mm_resized.tif
I get the following warning:
Current IPTC Digest : 92b5362261d3866154f1b5f9dcb6b3b8
Warning : Bad IPTC data tag (marker 0x6f)
5) first try to retag the file:

Exiftool.exe -TagsFromfile mySrcFile.CR2 20081019_15-55-46_Regensburg_pano6_23mm_resized.tif
I get the following error:
Warning: [minor] Entries in IFD0 were out of sequence. Fixed. - 20081019_15-55-46_Regensburg_pano6_23mm_resized.tif
Error: Error writing IFD0:IPTC-NAA - 20081019_15-55-46_Regensburg_pano6_23mm_resized.tif
6) so I first need to remove completly the metadata:

Exiftool.exe -all= 20081019_15-55-46_Regensburg_pano6_23mm_resized.tif
7) and then retag the file with the same cmd as in 5. It worked and this is the file I've uploaded.

So it seems that the exif/iptc management is still a little buggy with tiff files.
I generally trust exiftool which is well recognized as a good tool to manage metadata.

Edit: I just found out this spec:
http://www.metadataworkinggroup.com/pdf ... idance.pdf
It would interessting that XnView respect the guidelines of the metadata data working group!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sorry but currently only IPTC is saved in TIFF, i'll add EXIF too
Pierre.